Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parrot anafi fpv

simo71

Reaction score
Hi guys ,

I have a samsung gear vr . Anyone managed to get the freeflight app to work for fpv ?

Thanks

Yep....I did using Parrot Cockpitglasses v2 (Glasses that came with Bebop 2 Power Edition). These glasses have one button (on top) that allows you to launch and close the menu to set modes. They don't have the bottom button that you get with the Cockpitglasses v3 that come with the Anafi FPV. The bottom button allows you to toggle between regular view and "see-through" view.
You should be able to use 3rd party VR glasses with the Anafi FPV mode but you'll be missing both the buttons I referenced and that would be inconvenient if you want to switch to a different in mid-flight (e.g., from Cinematic to Racing).
Personally this is the first time that I've flown FPV (w/goggles). I have to say didn't really enjoy the experience for a number of reasons. Namely:

1 - The image through the Cockpitglasses v2 just isn't that good IMO. You're basically looking at the phone's image with magnifying glasses...so you can see the screen grid lines of the phone display and everything seemed a bit out of focus or blurry to me...Granted I don't own a top of the line phone (ZTE Axon 7) but it's got pretty good screen resolution:1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~538 ppi density). I felt like I was wearing coke bottle glasses looking at my phone screen. Not that pleasant or satisfying.

2 - There was a fair bit of light leakage that interfered/detracted from the immersive view. With that light leakage i could see the reflection of things behind me. That may just be a matter of adjusting the fit of the goggles but I wasn't impressed with the Cockpitglasses v2.

3 - The inability of being able to see things around you was also a bit unnerving to me...but something you'll have to get use to when wearing goggles. This is where having and being able to easily toggle to the "see-through view mode on the goggles could really come in handy.

I'll give it a few more times before I give up on wearing goggles...maybe they'll grow on me but I'm not loving it so far. I use a 10" OLED screen tablet when I fly so I that gives me a lot of screen real estate to work with and it generally works well even in bright conditions...for me that's a better option for now.

I'd like to hear others experiences using Parrot Goggles and non-Parrot Goggles.

Cheers

the gear vr glasses have 2 buttons and a controller as well.
The issue is that somehow you need to stop them from launching oculus or find a way to sideload freeflight app

the gear vr glasses have 2 buttons and a controller as well.
The issue is that somehow you need to stop them from launching oculus or find a way to sideload freeflight app

So with the Oculus glasses you don''t insert your phone into the VR glasses? If not then not sure it will work. FF6 requires Android ( v7.1 or higher ).
The two buttons on the Cockpitglasses are literally just mechanical buttons that create a virtual tap on the screen when depressed. So you can simulate what these buttons do by just tapping on your phone screen when the app is in FPV mode. A tap on the top of the phone launches/closes the menu and a tap on the bottom of the phone screen will toggle normal view and see-through mode.
And a hack for these buttons is to attach a strip of Aluminum foil with scotch tape to the screen (on to the top of the phone screen and one to the bottom) and leave the end of the aluminum foil dangling outside of the goggles...each time you touch the aluminum foil it transmits the electrical signal from your finger that will effectively simulate a tap on the screen.

Cheers

Reactions: Bruchpilot
So with the Oculus glasses you don''t insert your phone into the VR glasses? If not then not sure it will work. FF6 requires Android ( v7.1 or higher ).
The two buttons on the Cockpitglasses are literally just mechanical buttons that create a virtual tap on the screen when depressed. So you can simulate what these buttons do by just tapping on your phone screen when the app is in FPV mode. A tap on the top of the phone launches/closes the menu and a tap on the bottom of the phone screen will toggle normal view and see-through mode.
And a hack for these buttons is to attach a strip of Aluminum foil with scotch tape to the screen (on to the top of the phone screen and one to the bottom) and leave the end of the aluminum foil dangling outside of the goggles...each time you touch the aluminum foil it transmits the electrical signal from your finger that will effectively simulate a tap on the screen.

Cheers

Samsung Gear VR are googles that you insert a samsung phone. When phone is connected (through the usb-c adapter of the googles) it starts the oculus app for vr content . So the problem is how to stop it from autostart and make it work with freeflight app .

Okay...when you said it has a controller I was confused as to what you meant. Not sure how to prevent the oculus app from automatically launching but I would think it could be something that you could override in Android. Just don't know how to do that...maybe a Samsung Gear VR forum could address how you do that.

And what about the two buttons...do they simulate a physical tap on the screen? If not then I'm not sure they will help you with this app.

Cheers

Samsung Gear VR are googles that you insert a samsung phone. When phone is connected (through the usb-c adapter of the googles) it starts the oculus app for vr content . So the problem is how to stop it from autostart and make it work with freeflight app .

Is there any need to launch the oculus app ? Can you not simply connect the phone to the sky controller and have it launch FF6 and select FPV mode ?

If the goggles need to be connected to the phone to function.... Sky controller ? :censored:

Last edited:
Lizio, it sounded like it was automatically launching the oculus app and that was the problem..but let's see what he says. What I do is connect the phone to the Parrot controller via the USB cable...this causes the FF6 app to auto launch. I then select the FPV option and then put the glasses in my goggle and I'm good to go.
Cheers

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I had the same issue with my oculus app and considered removing it, but instead realized that if I removed the interchangeable usb connector that plugs into the phone and added added a small piece of plastic from a sandwich baggie between the removable piece and the headset connection to insulate the connector and then reinstalled the usb adaptor (needs to be there to also hold the phone to the headset) that it no longer recognises the phone being plugged in and no longer starts the oculus app. This way I can just remove the plastic when I want the oculus app to work normally again and takes about 5 seconds to switch back and forth.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 17
I have used the Google Daydream 2 glasses with success. As stated, you cannot access on screen controls but it is comfortable and the display looks reasonably good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar