Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parrot Anafi RTH crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windolian

Reaction score
Hello

I want to tell you my story of what happened and if possible get some opinions.
1 day after I got my (used - in perfect state with warranty) Parrot Anafi (my first drone) (had a parrot bebop 2 borrowed for 1 week) I crashed the anafi and broke 1 leg.

So I was having fun piloting in a generally open sky space and I was piloting consciously because I know that it doesn't have collision sensors but something happened that I totally didn't expect... suddenly 100m away from me with clear vision towards me(you can clearly see me in the video) I saw the connection disappear on my phone, I lost connection, the drone stopped and immediately started RTH going up very fast hitting a tree branch above the drone and the anafi crashed, breaking one leg.

I even started running towards the drone as soon as it lost connection to recover connection.

The thing is, shouldn't there be a timer before rth kicks in? Especially because the drone can turn the gimbal 180º. And a drone with 2.5miles (4km) advertised range shouldn't lose connection 100m away.

I talked to the shop the first owner bought it for repair and they said they were going to send the crash video to parrot to see if its valid for warranty. The problem is that the video only shows the drone going up and crash.
Will It be covered? What are my alternatives?

Video:

Last edited:
Hello

1 day after I got my (used - in perfect state) Parrot Anafi (my first drone) (had a parrot bebop 2 borrowed for 1 week) I crashed the anafi and broke 1 leg.

So I was having fun piloting in a generally open sky space and I was piloting consciously because I know that it doesn't have collision sensors but something happened that I totally didn't expect... suddenly 100m away from me with clear vision towards me(you can clearly see me in the video) I saw the connection disappear on my phone, I lost connection, the drone stopped and immediately started RTH going up very fast hitting a tree branch above the drone and the anafi crashed, breaking one leg.

I even started running towards the drone as soon as it lost connection to recover connection.

The thing is, shouldn't there be a timer before rth kicks in? Especially because the drone can turn the gimbal 180º. And a drone with 2.5miles (4km) advertised range shouldn't lose connection 100m away.

I talked to the shop the first owner bought it for repair and they said they were going to send the crash video to parrot to see if its valid for warranty. The problem is that the video only shows the drone going up and crash.

Video:

Today I had the same experience as you did. My Anafi was approximately at the same distance away, when I lost the video feed on my phone. The Anafi started with, what it looked to me, the immediate return to home procedure. As it was the first time it happened to me, it was a scary experience for a short time, until I realized it it coming back to me. So I second you question, as I am not aware you can set the time delay for the RTH once you lose connection.

Last edited:
Today I had the same experience as you did. My Anafi was approximately at the same distance away, when I lost the video feed on my phone. The Anafi started with, what it looked to me, the immediate return to home procedure. As it was the first time it happened to me, it was a scary experience for a short time, until I realized it it coming back to me. So I second you question, as I am nowt aware you can set the time delay for the RTH once you lose connection.

Yes... I mean the drone has a 180° degree gimbal to film up, so that people film under bridges etc, the immediately rth and the impossibility to disable it makes it alot more dangerous to pilot...

In your case you got lucky and nothing was above your drone, unfortunately not my case.

I hope the warranty covers my case... Or else I don't know what to do...

@Windolian

Nice video! This raises a really good point with regards to auto RTH (and any other artificial intelligence), the feature is only 100% reliable if the machine has full knowledge of it's surroundings, in other words a full suite of sensors detecting objects in all directions. This is something the Anafi lacks. As a videography / inspection drone, flying amongst buildings and close to other objects is a reasonable use case. I think Parrot should allow alternatives to the default auto RTH - such as hold position or land.

The 4km range is for interference free open sky flight. At ground level, surrounded by solid objects (some of which may contain a WiFi emitting device) the chances of signal interference is high. Your video coupled with the flight log (which will show clearly that auto RTH was initiated) should provide adequate evidence for what happened.

Reactions: Windolian
Hello, I want to tell you my story of what happened and if possible get some opinions.
Unfortunately, this is exactly the sort of scenario that most drones will crash in, particularly the Anafi with no obstacle avoidance. You had many buildings that could block your signal, which is why the Anafi lost the connection, and you had numerous overhead obstacles to cause the Anafi to crash after hitting them. This type of video is only possible at very slow speeds where you can follow the drone close behind on foot and prevent loss of signal and an auto RTH into who knows what obstacles. It is NOT the Anafi's fault!!

Reactions: edwardfcy1970
Unfortunately, this is exactly the sort of scenario that most drones will crash in, particularly the Anafi with no obstacle avoidance. You had many buildings that could block your signal, which is why the Anafi lost the connection, and you had numerous overhead obstacles to cause the Anafi to crash after hitting them. This type of video is only possible at very slow speeds where you can follow the drone close behind on foot and prevent loss of signal and an auto RTH into who knows what obstacles. It is NOT the Anafi's fault!!
I know that some of the fault is mine, but I didn't had buildings blocking my signal, I had one, but it didn't block my signal, the moment the drone lost signal I could clearly see the drone.
Plus, the rth shouldn't be immediately. And you should be able to disable rth or at least set a timer. Moreover some people reported losing connection a few meters from the drone. Rushing into rth the moment it loses connection, with a full battery it's dangerous.

I'm just sad I broke my drone. I hope the warranty covers the damage and like I said, I shouldn't lose connection 100m away with a clear sight
Otherwise I don't know what to do...

@Windolian

Nice video! This raises a really good point with regards to auto RTH (and any other artificial intelligence), the feature is only 100% reliable if the machine has full knowledge of it's surroundings, in other words a full suite of sensors detecting objects in all directions. This is something the Anafi lacks. As a videography / inspection drone, flying amongst buildings and close to other objects is a reasonable use case. I think Parrot should allow alternatives to the default auto RTH - such as hold position or land.

The 4km range is for interference free open sky flight. At ground level, surrounded by solid objects (some of which may contain a WiFi emitting device) the chances of signal interference is high. Your video coupled with the flight log (which will show clearly that auto RTH was initiated) should provide adequate evidence for what happened.

Unfortunately I already delivered the drone to the store i bought So I can't access the logs. Do you think the warranty will cover it?

They said they have to send the video to parrot (before sending the drone) to see if the warranty will cover the damage. But the video doesn't say much about the connection problem, etc.

...but I didn't had buildings blocking my signal, I had one, but it didn't block my signal, the moment the drone lost signal I could clearly see the drone.
Radio transmission is like waves in a pond - it bounces and reflects off objects in the area AND the reflections can cancel out (or diminish) the signals coming from your controller. If there is a stronger WiFi transmission near by then your signal can be completely overwhelmed.

Unfortunately I already delivered the drone to the store i bought So I can't access the logs. Do you think the warranty will cover it?
Parrot will definitely want all the information they can get, I assume your store will pass on the logs. The Anafi crashing on an auto RTH could be construed as a potential design flaw - particularly since it is a feature that cannot be disabled. Keep in mind it may take a while before you get a response, be patient.

Radio transmission is like waves in a pond - it bounces and reflects off objects in the area AND the reflections can cancel out (or diminish) the signals coming from your controller. If there is a stronger WiFi transmission near by then your signal can be completely overwhelmed.

Parrot will definitely want all the information they can get, I assume your store will pass on the logs. The Anafi crashing on an auto RTH could be construed as a potential design flaw - particularly since it is a feature that cannot be disabled. Keep in mind it may take a while before you get a response, be patient.
Thanks a lot. I will wait.

About the wifi, the "house" that you see close to the drone is a warehouse and doesn't have WiFi. The other house that you see in the video does have WiFi but it's in a very far part of the house and there's no chance the signal can get that far.

Well... I will wait... I really hope the warranty covers it or else no more drones for me in years...

Thanks a lot :)

Btw this are the damages

Attachments

• IMG_20190702_205129 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190702_205129 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190702_205137 (3).jpg
    IMG_20190702_205137 (3).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Hello

1 day after I got my (used - in perfect state) Parrot Anafi (my first drone) (had a parrot bebop 2 borrowed for 1 week) I crashed the anafi and broke 1 leg.

Video:

Sorry to read of your accident... you raise a very good point about the fact that an auto-RTH when flying under something can be disastrous. I haven't yet flown under a bridge but it is (or maybe WAS) on my 'to do' list !

Thinking about how best to plan things when flying under obstacles, I think I would now carefully configure the RTH altitude just for the portion of the flight under the object (as that can be changed during the flight)... I normally have the RTH altitude set to 100m for open area flying, but clearly this would be bad if losing connection under a bridge.

Hope you manage to get a replacement under warranty - but as others have said, do be prepared to wait a long time. I was impatient and I decided to phone Parrot every 2 days (when I had a case in with them (gimbal fault)) rather than wait weeks for email replies. I kept getting the same person on the phone each time and she was really helpful.... it all got sorted in about 10 days. Be persistent!!

If you don't get any luck with a warranty claim, do consider replacing the leg yourself (if it's just one leg that it is cracked)..I crashed into a tree within a week of owning my Anafi and cracked a leg. .. I bought a leg on eBay from a seller in Austria and followed Parrot's own video for 'how to repair'. It was fiddly and took me about 2 hours, but it did all work ok.

I know that some of the fault is mine, but I didn't had buildings blocking my signal, I had one, but it didn't block my signal, the moment the drone lost signal I could clearly see the drone.
You may have been able to see the drone, but the environment clearly caused loss of signal. The only thing I could add is that during an RTH, the Anafi will turn to face home before climbing. This may give you just a second to cancel RTH, if your finger is near the cancel button and you are expecting this possibility.

Hello

1 day after I got my (used - in perfect state with warranty) Parrot Anafi (my first drone) (had a parrot bebop 2 borrowed for 1 week) I crashed the anafi and broke 1 leg.

Video:

- The effectiveness of the remote control is greatly reduced when flying low, because the radiation spreads in a single lens shape (fresnel zone) and the bottom of this lens shape is missing due to the ground. (The distance test in flight is not accidentally sent to 80-100m altitude ...)
- Buildings, plants, metal objects (metal elements of the arbor system)
they also reduce the range.
Fresnel.jpg

Attachments

• main-qimg-8b4f1ff8f7f2f7cb9742efc25c12c0bd.png
    main-qimg-8b4f1ff8f7f2f7cb9742efc25c12c0bd.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: edwardfcy1970
As someone has already commented.... RTH is a great feature, as long as its aware of your surroundings you are flying in, I believe my Mavic wins in this area over my Anafi, due to its sensors.

In the situation in the video, RTH would of been a situation where IF the option had been available, then I would of turned off RTH, knowing that it would shoot up to its RTH height, and would of potentially driven itself straight into an object as it did.

I think Parrot should give the option to turn off the RTH option, more so when low level flying and using the given feature of the gimbal being able to view upwards.

RTH in low level situation, is definitely a danger to us...... Dont know what the chance would be of either Parrot putting in an option to disable RTH, or if anyone is developing with the SDK, maybe they could take this into consideration..

Hopefully Parrot Warranty will kick in and replace for you. (y)

As someone has already commented.... RTH is a great feature, as long as its aware of your surroundings you are flying in, I believe my Mavic wins in this area over my Anafi, due to its sensors.

In the situation in the video, RTH would of been a situation where IF the option had been available, then I would of turned off RTH, knowing that it would shoot up to its RTH height, and would of potentially driven itself straight into an object as it did.

I think Parrot should give the option to turn off the RTH option, more so when low level flying and using the given feature of the gimbal being able to view upwards.

RTH in low level situation, is definitely a danger to us...... Dont know what the chance would be of either Parrot putting in an option to disable RTH, or if anyone is developing with the SDK, maybe they could take this into consideration..

Hopefully Parrot Warranty will kick in and replace for you. (y)
I think if I could turn it off, the number of accidents would increase: Oh ... I forgot I turned off the RTH and lost my drone ...
In my opinion, RTH is the last line of defense, a line of defense and should not be turned off!
The solution: You have to fly above the obstacles, because the drone is for that. And if you want to fly Skydio 2 in the woods or between landmarks. though not infallible for human stupidity:

The option to turn off RTH has been discussed a few time on here and also with the Bebop. It has been stated Parrot will not give us the option to turn it off. It was hard enough to get them to give us the option to adjust the height for the RTH.
With any of my other UAV's I have the option to either stop the RTH ( Autel) as it gives you a warning before it RTH with a long press to stop it or with with my Yuneec I can just turn off the GPS.
I find Parrot does not listen to experience flyers when a simple thing needs to be addressed.
Not all photography from UAV's is done high above the trees. Why have the option of the camera pointing straight up if that is the case.

Reactions: d95gas
Took the words out of my mouth Augustine..... The point of having a drone that can video UPWARDS, is that the user, if they wish could fly low level whilst videoing above.

In fact there has been some very interesting videos where they have used that feature, which make is unique.

Yes RTH is the last line of defence, BUT, there are occasions when you the pilot might want to disable, and as long as you accept the risks, then why not?

The option to turn off RTH has been discussed a few time on here and also with the Bebop. It has been stated Parrot will not give us the option to turn it off. It was hard enough to get them to give us the option to adjust the height for the RTH.
With any of my other UAV's I have the option to either stop the RTH ( Autel) as it gives you a warning before it RTH with a long press to stop it or with with my Yuneec I can just turn off the GPS.
I find Parrot does not listen to experience flyers when a simple thing needs to be addressed.
Not all photography from UAV's is done high above the trees. Why have the option of the camera pointing straight up if that is the case.
RTH can only be stopped if you have a connection to the RC. The RTH point must work if the connection is lost. Then you can say goodbye to the machine.
As a reassurance, even on DJI machines you can't turn off RTH and only Mavic2 has an upside-down sensor.
RTH is an achievement and if it weren't for that, it would be more trouble.
I think drones are used (developed for this) to make videos and pictures from the top (top-side) view (which is unusual and interesting).
Fly through an arbor? Nothing interesting in this video and that's why he broke his drone ...

I have been flying UAV's for over 6 years. Most of my UAV's have not RTH. Never needed it and not one problem. Experienced pilots have asked for the option to disable it from Parrot for a long time. Not sure what your point is but I totally disagree with your statements

Took the words out of my mouth Augustine..... The point of having a drone that can video UPWARDS, is that the user, if they wish could fly low level whilst videoing above.

In fact there has been some very interesting videos where they have used that feature, which make is unique.

Yes RTH is the last line of defence, BUT, there are occasions when you the pilot might want to disable, and as long as you accept the risks, then why not?
Because if Parrot installed a shut-off button on the RTH, he would have to take financial responsibility for replacing the drones he lost. Far fewer stupid people fly through trees and smash their drones than if they could be turned off.
DJI also does not support disabling protection ...
(In Chernobyl, the defenses were turned off and we know ...)
The upward facing camera is not for hiding among the bushes, but you can even look up to the top when flying high near a tall mountain. Or fly under a bridge (10-20 meters, no obstacle) to look up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seow