Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parrot file output naming convention

parrotuser1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Has anyone been able to adjust the naming convention of the image files being outputted by the aircraft? Right now, the generic parrot outputs are writing files named (e.g. P87664), but we would like to modify this name and have a known starting number. Our naming convention would look something like this (e.g. A00001). I know this may be a stretch, but I am hoping someone has run into this situation before. I have attached a jpeg file with a sample file name.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: iProVid
There is no way to do in the App that I know of but there are many ways to do it after.

Method 1: Select a file, press F2, rename it, then press Tab to skip to the next file and rename it, press Tab to go to the next one, so on and so forth. Method 2: Select ALL files, press F2, give the files a name and they will all be given the same name with the only difference being a number in parenthesis. To undo the renames right-click and select "Undo Rename" or press Ctrl-Z on the keyboard.

Thank you that is really useful! I appreciate the input. That is definitely one way to do it on the back end.

The other thing I was going to mention was that some people will leave the last photo or video on the SDcard so that the next photo or video will start with the next file number from the one left behind.
I prefer to dump my files into a folder that reflects the day I took the videos or photos. If I need them at a later time I know which folder has them and open it up for editing.

Reactions: dashSolo
Just to add to the advice above, in case this is relevant to you, the Parrot naming convention can be quite useful in that the first 3 digits after the "P" signify a reference to a batch of photos that is linked (e.g. 10 photos for a horizontal panorama, or 42 photos for a 360 panorama). For these, only the last 4 digits increment within the batch.

Therefore you may not wish to rename all photos if you want to be able to recognise the batches in future.

Reactions: iProVid
This is a technique I use implementing a "personal use only" free program called "Bulk Rename Utility" for any type of bulk files. Quite a few available methods for customizing whatever pattern, renumbering, replacing/inserting by position, prefixes, suffixes, etc., whatever combination you wish. I use it on my GoPro, drones and everyday files. Quite convenient to organize files in a uniform manner sequentially. For example, prefix "Joe's Zoo trip 20200115_" and leave the Parrot info as the suffix so you can reference it later. (Note: I use the convention "year/month/day" which orders the files by date.) I'm sure there are others but I like "BRU." Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: Panasys
I do not understand the naming system at all, so I rewrite each file. I use a mac program called Renamer and I have set up a system that remembers the last numbering that I did and goes consecutively. It adds DA (drone anafi) then asks for a name for the batch and a sub number within that batch. It works well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame