Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Pre inspection of Mobile Antenna tower for Bird Poop !! - Anafi Thermal

I see. That's interesting. I thought you got any information from thermal function of the Anafi, but this is not the case, of course. Cheers

I see. That's interesting. I thought you got any information from thermal function of the Anafi, but this is not the case, of course. Cheers
Yes I did get Thermal information ,which is at the end of the video where u see that thermal pics where the heat signatures are normal on the modulators and no unusual colors are seen along the cable route which can get damaged by bird poop. So the inspection is basically 2 fold.

Be careful with the thermal analysis. With only 160 x 120 pixels at the distance you were at it is possible that the cables are too thin. At a bare minimum to get a temperature from something it must completely cover 1 pixel, but best practice really says 3x3 pixels. Something like that cable being so thin and at that distance does not fully take up 3x3 pixels, so the pixel also has temperature values of other items such as the sky, and other parts of the tower, etc. . If that happens you could miss any anomaly.

You were doing a qualitative analysis (Is it hot?) so it is not as critical and I would think that if there was an anomaly with the wire it likely would of been spotted, but I think you need to get much closer for the sake of your clients to ensure anomalies are spotted.

Reactions: sibujacob
Be careful with the thermal analysis. With only 160 x 120 pixels at the distance you were at it is possible that the cables are too thin. At a bare minimum to get a temperature from something it must completely cover 1 pixel, but best practice really says 3x3 pixels. Something like that cable being so thin and at that distance does not fully take up 3x3 pixels, so the pixel also has temperature values of other items such as the sky, and other parts of the tower, etc. . If that happens you could miss any anomaly.

You were doing a qualitative analysis (Is it hot?) so it is not as critical and I would think that if there was an anomaly with the wire it likely would of been spotted, but I think you need to get much closer for the sake of your clients to ensure anomalies are spotted.
Yes...i was just checking for any variations in heat signature . Also reflection property is what i would like to learn more. In fact this was a pet project and not for any business deals .: )). I am confused when it comes to setting reflectivity in the FF6 menu as for metals they have wide range of values .

The TRflec is not for the target you are trying to measure/observe. It is for all of the other infrared energy that is reflecting onto your target.
The emissivity setting is for your target and when it does not equal 1.00 is accounting for reflectivity and transmission.

FLIR ITC has a simple and low cost online class on TRflec as well as other thermography classes. The TRflec class is $20.00 online.

Link to good article: Reflected Background and its Potential Impact on a Good Thermal Image

Screenshot of Flir E8 manual detailing how to obtain a TRflec value using a simple piece of crumpled aluminum foil. This will take some thought for your application considering drone angle and what's behind your drone.

From FLIR E8 Manual:

1603667535216.png

Keep up the tests! And don't forget to use some still images and throw them in Flir Tools. Then you can experiment on "tuning" or changing parameters.

Attachments

• 1603667107335.png
    1603667107335.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut