Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Prop Service Life

BigNutz

Reaction score
Hey Yo's:

So this might come off as over the top OCD, but I need to ask. If a single propeller of our Bebop 2s suffer even a minor structural failure, if you have it anywhere above 8-10 feet AGL, it's going to be a bad day for the Bebop. I say this from the perspective of Commercial pilot and A&P aircraft mechanic. I worked for 6 years on UH-60 Black Hawk Helicopters in the US Army, and have learned much from all experiences. One of those lessons taught me that any high speed components of any weight and inertia which operate nominally in an steady state of significantly elevated spinning torsion energy, if thrown out of balance will enthusiastically tear themselves, and any other part or systems in shrapnel range of the subsequent uncontrolled transfer of that energy being sprayed away from where the part once was. Helicopters have a lot of those, and our Bebop 2 has 4.

What concerns me is the hairline fractures which are nearly impossible to see with the naked eye. It's those types of defects which cause the GA aircraft to throw a blade, and cause the airline GE turbine to throw a blade. No one sees the cracks because the stay hairline until a series of forces are applied randomly in flight which cause an acute progression while n flight, and manifests as a separation of any portion of the blade or blade hub before anyone would ever see it.

Is there a universally accepted number of flight hours which once reached, one should replace all 4 Bebop 2 props in a preventive maintenance measure? Told you, over the top,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJ123456