Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Propellers brushed against the car hood on landing - should I replace them?

lemieszek

Reaction score
Not me, because I'm an ace pilot (lol), but my brother in law was landing my anafi and he brushed the propellers against the car hood. They look fine except from what's apparently superficial scuffs on the tip. Is it better to replace them and be on the safe side? Should I manually give them a "stress test" to check if they're ok?

Replace brother in law....? ....i agree with dashsolo,one thing is hitting grass,anything hard is very dangerous to propelllers,they are very thin and can easily get damaged...there was a thread in forum somewhere where member posted pictures i believe under some kind of blue light and you can see invisible cracks in properllers,very scary

Reactions: lemieszek
Not me, because I'm an ace pilot (lol), but my brother in law was landing my anafi and he brushed the propellers against the car hood. They look fine except from what's apparently superficial scuffs on the tip. Is it better to replace them and be on the safe side? Should I manually give them a "stress test" to check if they're ok?
What usually happens when the props encounter an obstacle is that they kick back (hard, or not so hard) against the opposite spindle. The important damage would be on the trailing edge about 1/4 of the way from the hub. This happened to me on an encounter with a measly 1/8 inch weed stalk.

If there is no chip on the trailing edge of any of the props you can keep using them after very close inspection with a bright light and magnifier. There is no such thing as a "stress test". The only test is a visual inspection. Scuffs, as you describe them, may not be an issue at all. I have some on my props but they are so light I can't feel them with my fingernail. If you CAN feel them, replace the props!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking