Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Proved correct and stable firmware version for our Parrot Anafi

Ross

Reaction score
Maybe in some threads they have already talked about this, but I don't find it back. My Anafi crashed like a brick a week ago from 20m alt, now I like to buy another one but would be sure which firmware I need to use to be certain he won't fall again out the sky. Before I never got problems with my drone, I have about 210 flights and only got problems with the one, two, three latest firmware, at that moment he started to fall out the sky, first time about one meter, second time 20m and dead.

At time, there seem NOT TO BE A 100% (meaning: For ALL Anafi) secure working fw package available.
Some birds are still crashing some fly very stable.
I'd say, you would need to find a Anafi which got produced and packed in the box around end of November till end of December 2019. To have a chance to get the latest 2019 fw updates in it.
And, of course, stay away from the 2020 updates, right now!
I for myself are not planning to update my 2019 setup any time soon!

Reactions: Ross
At time, there seem NOT TO BE A 100% (meaning: For ALL Anafi) secure working fw package available.
Some birds are still crashing some fly very stable.
I'd say, you would need to find a Anafi which got produced and packed in the box around end of November till end of December 2019. To have a chance to get the latest 2019 fw updates in it.
And, of course, stay away from the 2020 updates, right now!
I for myself are not planning to update my 2019 setup any time soon!
Thanks for reply, you know which FW for 2019, which one you have?

FF6 v.6.6.2 mod

( new 1.6.3 update )

So End of December, must the box be packed.
First weeks in January, as latest.
Sorry, I thought it came out in November.

I'm using:

Freeflight App v 6.6.4
Skycontroller v 1.6.2
Anafi Thermal v 1.6.4
Hardware version HW_02

Oct 2019, aircraft #180 out the factory i think.....No problems at all. Once during update to 1.6.3....my gimbal status stayed yellow and kept giving "calibration required" warning. The camera operated fine though and zoom worked fine. Updated to 1.6.4 (no battery updates) and haven't had a problem since.

I'm using:

Freeflight App v 6.6.4
Skycontroller v 1.6.2
Anafi Thermal v 1.6.4
Hardware version HW_02

Oct 2019, aircraft #180 out the factory i think.....No problems at all. Once during update to 1.6.3....my gimbal status stayed yellow and kept giving "calibration required" warning. The camera operated fine though and zoom worked fine. Updated to 1.6.4 (no battery updates) and haven't had a problem since.

How can you see the production date and aircraft# ?

I'm using:

Freeflight App v 6.6.4
Skycontroller v 1.6.2
Anafi Thermal v 1.6.4
Hardware version HW_02

Version 1.6.3 FW is good! 1.6.4 is incorrect because it closes the country selection and does not switch between CE and FCC. Parrot has admitted that this is a bug, so 1.6.4 FW is buggy!

No, I’m not saying he should’ve kept the problems. Just stating what happened to work for my situation. I have no accidents with my aircraft, so I knew that couldn’t be the cause of my gimbal issue.

@Gipsz Jakab if 1.6.3 works for you in your particular region, congrats. I was just offering info on what works for me in the US. I would never need CE switch, so it's not relevant to my situation.

Also @Test2000 the last 3-4 numbers in the serial are what number your aircraft came off the assembly line I believe. Happy flying!!

Last edited:
For what it's worth...

I LOST three Anafi's last Spring/Summer 2019. All flights were under exact same conditions at different locations.
One in MAY, one in August, and one in September, all were replaced from Parrot.
I don't remember the verison# at the time. My latest update is 1.63.

I have not flown since Feb 2020 so a retraining mission is in order sometime this week. I've lost confidence in the Anafi.

I have several hundred flights since the Anafi came out in July 2018 and I only shoot in .dng on landscapes and rarely shoot video.

• Wow
For what it's worth...

I LOST three Anafi's last Spring/Summer 2019. All flights were under exact same conditions at different locations.
One in MAY, one in August, and one in September, all were replaced from Parrot.
I don't remember the verison# at the time. My latest update is 1.63.

I have not flown since Feb 2020 so a retraining mission is in order sometime this week. I've lost confidence in the Anafi.

I have several hundred flights since the Anafi came out in July 2018 and I only shoot in .dng on landscapes and rarely shoot video.
You need to check on your batteries!
If you havent used them for 3 month, it can be they are not just sleepin, now!

No, I’m not saying he should’ve kept the problems. Just stating what happened to work for my situation. I have no accidents with my aircraft, so I knew that couldn’t be the cause of my gimbal issue.

@Gipsz Jakab if 1.6.3 works for you in your particular region, congrats. I was just offering info on what works for me in the US. I would never need CE switch, so it's not relevant to my situation.

Also @Test2000 the last 3-4 numbers in the serial are what number your aircraft came off the assembly line I believe. Happy flying!!
If Parrot also admits that the 1.6.4 firmware is faulty and releases two fixes after that, then I would not recommend it for use! It is also true that neither 1.6.5 nor 1.6.8 is absolutely certain to be flawless.
So the last version, considered by many to be flawless, is 1.6.3. and these are facts.

I have installed the latest firmware on controller and the bird, batteries are also updated, I have now lost all video :( .. Any ideas what to do to recover ?

BRW

Last edited:
If Parrot also admits that the 1.6.4 firmware is faulty and releases two fixes after that, then I would not recommend it for use! It is also true that neither 1.6.5 nor 1.6.8 is absolutely certain to be flawless.
So the last version, considered by many to be flawless, is 1.6.3. and these are facts.
1.6.3 crashed last week

I dont think any of the firmware can be considered flawless, although 1.6.3 did seem to offer nr perfection, but we are now starting to see failures on that.

Ultimately with any of these failures, regardless of firmware version, we dont know all the circumstances of a failed flight. So much can come into the equation.

So we have had Anafi's go down on all firmware, but I still believe 1.6.3 was excellent, and 1.6.8 (latest) is knocking on the door of perfection.

The drones that came down on 1.6.8 may have other circumstances that could account for the failure, we dont have the full picture of the crash, and in general users are quick to point to the firmware.

On one crash, it was observed that the user was taking off and landing over some sort of metal grid, which could have been a cause.

Certainly 1.6.8 is the one most of us are on, and so far its looking very good.

I am looking to get my Anafi in the air again soon as we, in the UK, return slowly to the new "normal".

My Anafi is currently on firmware 1.6.3 (bought in July 2018) and I am in two minds whether to upgarde to firmware 1.6.8. The general consensus appears to be that 1.6.8. is stable and as reliable as 1.6.3. It means that I would have to update my batteries but that also now appears to be succesfull provided that the batteries are connected to an external power source during updating. My only worry is that updating is a one way street and the old adage "If it is not broke don't fix it"!

To me the two questions matter:
Are you happy with your current software, can you do what you want to do?
Does the new software offers you something that you would need or really like?

For me the answer is clear, I'm happy with what I'm having, done wonderful flights. No need to improve or change and ending up taking additional risks.
Anafi 1.6.4, FF6 6.6.2 203 FCC, Contr. 1.6.2. Spain, Channel 165.

You also have to figure in the question about warranty. Do I still have warranty and if so will parrot cover the drone if it is not updated? Its a roll of the dice if you ask me. For me I have updated with every firmware that has come out. Still flying with no drops from the sky and no battery problems. Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket :)

Reactions: Thanev
You also have to figure in the question about warranty. Do I still have warranty and if so will parrot cover the drone if it is not updated? Its a roll of the dice if you ask me. For me I have updated with every firmware that has come out. Still flying with no drops from the sky and no battery problems. Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket :)
Oh, right now I can say something to the "accept warranty" thing of Parrot.

I used the online form, to contact them.
Told them, my bird fell from the sky, with about 15-20% battery left, just the in 3 (2?) minutes return to home (which would have needed an ascend to 60m first, at this time, from 30m.
And a couple of seconds later, I already descended, the auto landing kicked in, followed by an motor stop in about 5-10m height and a fall on to the ground.

Which means, the damage at my drone is not a pilot flying ito something error, right?
Aside that the answer was very quickly after I did send the contact form (which could be a bot, faq answer looking for certain words), it is really not looking, that Parrot like warranty claimes

18845.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh