Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Quirky behavior from Follow Me mode

sir_jumper

Reaction score
I've had my Anafi for about a month and the main reason was for it's follow me mode. I can get it to work most of the time, but about half the time something strange happens.

I'll enter follow me mode, select myself as the subject, and as soon as the green box is locked in, the drone will pan to the side until I am off the screen, and then it reports that the subject is lost. I'll stop follow me mode, recenter myself, draw a box, and again the drone pans off to the side until I'm no longer in view, then says 'subject lost'.

If I switch back to manual flight and back into follow me mode, the same behavior continues. But the last time it did this, I switched to cameraman, then back to follow me, and that seemed to fix things. Now that I think I have a workaround, I feel better about it, but I was wondering if this behavior is observed by anyone else?

Otherwise, the drone is pretty awesome in all other respects.

I have had that happen a few times. Never did figure out why.
I was using a Android phone at the time, what is yours? Android or iOS?

I'm wondering about some things as possibly contributing to this. :unsure:

1. Proximity. Don't be too close.
  2. Speed. Work in Film mode.
  3. Which Follow Me mode? Dynamic is a nightmare to work with, unless you are in a completely open area & are a fair distance away from the subject. It will dart around at up to maximum speed in this mode, which I found out the hard way about!
  4. Aeroplane mode. Is wifi turned off in this mode? Someone pointed out the other day that wifi can still be on when your mobile device is in this mode.
  5. Metal interference. I was in a storm water culvert & the Anafi kept on nose-diving into the concrete, at a slow rate fortunately, so I could lift it again before it did crash. metal within the concrete interfered with its sensors!

I haven't had any luck with the Anafi using an Android device so I only use an iPad Mini 4. In general I don't use iOS.
Here's a recent video with Anafi flying in the rain ?

Reactions: speagles2
I'm wondering about some things as possibly contributing to this. :unsure:

1. Proximity. Don't be too close.
  2. Speed. Work in Film mode.
  3. Which Follow Me mode? Dynamic is a nightmare to work with, unless you are in a completely open area & are a fair distance away from the subject. It will dart around at up to maximum speed in this mode, which I found out the hard way about!
  4. Aeroplane mode. Is wifi turned off in this mode? Someone pointed out the other day that wifi can still be on when your mobile device is in this mode.
  5. Metal interference. I was in a storm water culvert & the Anafi kept on nose-diving into the concrete, at a slow rate fortunately, so I could lift it again before it did crash. metal within the concrete interfered with its sensors!
I'll definitely pay more attention to the context next time the error happens, but I know that it's happened both when I'm close and far away. I also try to stay in film mode and airplane mode with wifi turned off.

I wonder if there's anything to do with the Anafi using GPS location vs visual tracking and which one it prefers. For instance, if I'm in an area with lots of buildings, maybe my GPS report is way off, so it can't resolve which direction to face if it shows my GPS location is somewhere behind it, yet I'm standing in front of it.

I haven't had any luck with the Anafi using an Android device so I only use an iPad Mini 4. In general I don't use iOS.
Here's a recent video with Anafi flying in the rain ?

Video looks awesome! Are you flying purely in follow me mode hands off or are you helping it along with the controls. It's a great tracking shot from the front; I'd love to try that out.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Mostly hands off but I am overiding the flight path with the stick inputs to fine tune altitude or perspective, like if I go around a turn. I always use the Locked Follow mode with iOS.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
I am bringing back to life this thread since I am having the same issue lately. I have used the follow me mode on my car on an old airport tarmac and it worked great. I was greatly impressed with how the Anafi kept up.
Recently I was trying to film some fire department training. A ladder truck was running through an obstacle course of cones and a nadir video of this really shines as an after action training aid.

I had the same problem as the OP and I had the problem in all three follow me modes. I would try to lock onto the subject (Ladder truck) and it seemed successful for a second or two until the Anafi would then pan to the right and lock onto me. I tried both the double tap on the ladder truck and also drawing a box around it and neither worked. I ended up having to fly manually. Is it possible that the ladder truck is too large?

I use an iPad Pro 9.5 and all firmware is the newest available.

I am bringing back to life this thread since I am having the same issue lately. I have used the follow me mode on my car on an old airport tarmac and it worked great. I was greatly impressed with how the Anafi kept up.
Recently I was trying to film some fire department training. A ladder truck was running through an obstacle course of cones and a nadir video of this really shines as an after action training aid.

I had the same problem as the OP and I had the problem in all three follow me modes. I would try to lock onto the subject (Ladder truck) and it seemed successful for a second or two until the Anafi would then pan to the right and lock onto me. I tried both the double tap on the ladder truck and also drawing a box around it and neither worked. I ended up having to fly manually. Is it possible that the ladder truck is too large?

I use an iPad Pro 9.5 and all firmware is the newest available.
Follow me uses your phone's GPS signal with visual tracking.
It does not work to select another person as a waxy object that is different from the physical location of the Skycontroller.
"Follow me" is not equal to "follow there"

I've had my Anafi for about a month and the main reason was for it's follow me mode. I can get it to work most of the time, but about half the time something strange happens.

I'll enter follow me mode, select myself as the subject, and as soon as the green box is locked in, the drone will pan to the side until I am off the screen, and then it reports that the subject is lost. I'll stop follow me mode, recenter myself, draw a box, and again the drone pans off to the side until I'm no longer in view, then says 'subject lost'.

If I switch back to manual flight and back into follow me mode, the same behavior continues. But the last time it did this, I switched to cameraman, then back to follow me, and that seemed to fix things. Now that I think I have a workaround, I feel better about it, but I was wondering if this behavior is observed by anyone else?

Otherwise, the drone is pretty awesome in all other respects.
I think this is the FF6 bug. Try to completely delete and reinstall.
you have not described which firmware, which application ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame