Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Range issue ? & micro SD

julientaming

Reaction score
Good morning, I finally got my drone ! I love my Anafi but I am a bit worried about the range. I tried in my garden and after 75~85 meters up I got issues with wifi transmission. I know in the city you got lot of interferences but that's really a crap range. Is it a problem with my drone ?

Another question, I formatted the micro sd in the drone, but I can only access it via the app, if I connect the drone via usb or I put the card in a Mac/PC, it says corrupt disk.

Thank you for your messages !

Try downloading the modded app, and give it a go with that. You should get an improvement with it. Also make sure to point the controller towards the drone when flying. One more thing what you can try is to prepare the map where you want to fly, go to airplane mode.
At first I didn't get a great signal either, then I switched to this modded app, also turned on airplane mode, and everything is working great.

Thank you for your answer, I did fly with airplane mode, and I tried to aim the controller towards the drone. My garden is between 2 house's walls so maybe it didn't help. Im using iOS, where can I find this modded app? Not jailbreaked by the way.

The modded app is for Android only. If you want to use FCC mode on iOS you have to use some fake GPS app, but unfortunately, I'm on Android, so I cannot help with that.
Interference can come from various things, like huge metal objects, bridges, big power lines towers, and the WiFi networks of the neighbors can affect it too. In order to get the most range out of the Anafi, you have to use it with as little interference as possible.

Yes but I saw a video of a guy flying in the city way more far than me ! I was just flying up 80 meters and lost of connection.

First of all use a Wifi scanner app and have a look on the used channels in your garden.
Switch to a less used channel or to another band.

So I shouldn't use "all" in wifi channel ? It's why I got good signal then it drops? The app keeps changing frequencies?

Yes, in an unknown area I would choose All, but in a known area, where I know the neighbour's Wifi, I choose an unused channel.

Well, I tried both, still getting bad connection after 70 meters high. And it’s changed when I rotated the drone, maybe a problem with an antenna in one leg?

Are you vertically below the drone?
If yes: this is indeed a position with very low range due to the directional effect of Anafi's antennas.

Reactions: IM35461
And the controller's one too unless you point it antenna up.

This blog answers most questions about Wifi range depending on position of controller, drone, landscape and obstacles:

The Anafi has kind of a dead spot if it is directly above the controller/you. Going through walls, trees, etc will chop the WIFI signal down a lot. Go and try it away from those conditions before stressing the range.
As far as the SD card...
The Macs have a problem with reading the Anafi SD card...I don't remember the solution/workaround but I am sure a search here will give you some info.
I use a Windows PC and have had no trouble and haven't heard of as many "concerns" reading the SD cards as the Macs do.
Did you try a different cable or SD card.
If I remember correctly, the latest update should have addressed the SD card issues...What firmware/software ( app) level are you on?

Last edited:
Most of Wifi antennas are omni-directional, and it can go far horizontally, but not vertically.

Thank you everybody for your messages ! Well I tried in different places, and yes a bit more range, still a bit disappointed concerning the range. What is the modded app for android ?

Good morning, I finally got my drone ! I love my Anafi but I am a bit worried about the range. I tried in my garden and after 75~85 meters up I got issues with wifi transmission. I know in the city you got lot of interferences but that's really a crap range. Is it a problem with my drone ?

Another question, I formatted the micro sd in the drone, but I can only access it via the app, if I connect the drone via usb or I put the card in a Mac/PC, it says corrupt disk.

Thank you for your messages !

It is just normal. Switch to 5Ghz if possible.

I live in a wifi and interference congested area of Long Island. The best I can get near my home is 200 ~ 300 meters. I'm pretty sure the 2,500 ~ 4,000 meters range specifications you see on-line are in areas where there is very little to no wifi or transmission line interference. At 300 meters the Anafi is a dot in the sky so I'm not really concerned with going any further but the occasional dropouts between 200 and 300 meters can be disconcerting, but the return to home provides some reassurance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood