Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Remote flying

Ranchflier

Reaction score
This is my first post so bear with me. I live and work on a remote cattle ranch that is about 70 miles from the nearest town. For over a year I have been using a Bebop 2 regularly to help me with my work. I use it to help locate cattle and check water tanks and check fences etc, it saves me so much time. I feel confident enough in my flying to upgrade now and I would like a drone that I can fly over 2000m and higher than 150m and can zoom. The Anafi looks like it will meet that criteria. The mavic pro zoom looks like it will work too but the Anafi is more in my price range and the Bebop I have been using has been really durable and is so easy to fly I would not hesitate to get another parrot product.

Just to make sure, will the Anafi fly past the 2000m limit and higher than 150m? There is no cell service where I live so if needs to operate on wifi like the Bebop, will it do that? How does the Anafi handle mild winds? I've crashed my Bebop several times and had to use the last location GPS map to find it again, does the Anafi have this feature? How durable is the Anafi compared tongue Bebop 2?

I'm sorry about the long post and thank you for any advice.

You should wait a bit!
And read all topics about the latest update.
Starting with this.

I assume you are in the US?
In theory the Anafi should do, what you want it to do!
And yes, it has a find my drone / last known position function

Just wait a bit and watch.
I assume, Parrot will not pi.. off the american pilots.
So they will need to find a way, to not let FCC areas get affected by this CE- direction pointed update

I will keep watching, I will also wait on options of updates before I do any on my other drone!

Anafi could be able to do it, however, I believe DJI ocusync; like on the more expensive DJI drones like Mavic Pro in this case is preferable for you. I absolutely love my Anafi and all it's capabilities but ocusync is much more robust for long distances.

In FCC mode the Anafi will easily reach 2KM in non-urban areas. However, I fully expect the DJI drones with Ocusyc to be superior

Oh, that is not so surprising, isn't it?
Over the ocean is mostly not much wifi interference to expect ;-)
And no obstacles between remote and bird

2k is possible in CE
Just you really need an open area for it. And NO other wifi signals near by!

Someone managed to keep the connexion alive 7.5 km away, in Europe, but that's without any obstacle between you and the drone, and he used one of these DIY tinfoil "antennas"...

Best would be to use flight plan to check fences and water, and maybe you still have enough battery juice to fly higher and control the whole surface for cattle ?

Now autonomous flight is banned if you can't control your drone at any moment. I wonder if the new legislation is valid for flying over your private property ?

in CE mode, I also succeed in reaching 2 kms, from a beach, over the sea

Be careful over water, there is a warning in the manual about it. Maybe it's more/only about flying low over water....

If a flight plan can be used than the 2KM transmission is no more an issue.

If a flight plan can be used than the 2KM transmission is no more an issue.
After reading this first post, I thought he wanted to check and search live, manually. If the connection is interrupted because of the distance, how do you see the animal or the trial? Going home, hooking up the drone to your PC, reviewing the recording, and going to the scene again?
You ask for distance because you want a live view. When you see an abnormality, you can approach it, photograph it. Interactivity is important for such activities.

Reactions: Ana789
The thing for "check water tanks and check fences etc," would work, with a/some flightplan/s, perhaps.
Check today, watch in the evening, repair/refill 2morrow.
But still, it needs more time, you can't stop (out of reach) the mission, to get a closer look at something.
And you can just react AFTER you had time to check the video.

But I assume he still has the bebop. So waiting and checking is not harming ;-)

And, if nothing changes, he still can check on the Mavics!
(thats why I think, something WILL change for sure)

Be careful over water, there is a warning in the manual about it. Maybe it's more/only about flying low over water....
don’t worry. To be able to reach 2kms, it was necessary to fly over 50m high all the time.
no issue about flying low over water...

Thank you for the responses. I have used flight plan on my Bebop before but as Ana789 said I need the real time video for most of what I use it for. Luckily where I live there is hardly any interference unless I go behind a hill or other large obstical that blocks my line of sight. I try to stay higher in elevation than what I am needing to look at though so I regularly fly my Bebop out to the limit and still have good live video feed. However a lot of the time I have to fly high enough that I have a hard time telling cattle from trees or brush so that is why I would like a drone with a zoom function.

The price of the Anafi compared to the mavic is why I was leaning towards it. When I think of all the wear and tear on vehicles and the time saved by using a drone I guess I can justify the higher cost but my Bebop has been so good to me I felt confident getting another parrot product. I hope they receive this issue soon.

Thank you for the responses. I have used flight plan on my Bebop before but as Ana789 said I need the real time video for most of what I use it for. Luckily where I live there is hardly any interference unless I go behind a hill or other large obstical that blocks my line of sight. I try to stay higher in elevation than what I am needing to look at though so I regularly fly my Bebop out to the limit and still have good live video feed. However a lot of the time I have to fly high enough that I have a hard time telling cattle from trees or brush so that is why I would like a drone with a zoom function.

The price of the Anafi compared to the mavic is why I was leaning towards it. When I think of all the wear and tear on vehicles and the time saved by using a drone I guess I can justify the higher cost but my Bebop has been so good to me I felt confident getting another parrot product. I hope they receive this issue soon.
Parrot knows about the bug and if you fix it with the next firmware (and don't make another bug) then it might be right for you. The lower price is less of a worry when sending far ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking