Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Required updates in the field.

SkySpy

Reaction score
Have any of you encountered updates that would not allow you to fly until they were done? This happened to me a few weeks ago. After driving several miles to get a shot of a business at sunset the update notice came up. I looked for an option to postpone it but did not find. I tried to go around it but i kept getting the notice. As most of you will know, the window for the perfect sunset light is very narrow. I reluctantly started the update. Wouldn't you know it took several tries to get it completed. It seemed to get stuck in about the last 10% of the update. I shut both the drone and the control down and started from scratch a couple of times before it finally completed. This took a total of about 40 minutes. Unfortunately, my window had closed by the time I got the update installed. A totally wasted trip. DJI gives the delay option which i have used several times. Hard to believe the people at Parrot would not do the same.

I had that on both, DJI's and on the Anafi too (I think, I remember one time!).
I assume that is, because most people let update the apps from playstore / appstore whenever an update get pushed.
After a little while, the newest app will not longer work with the older firmwares.

Aside, that on DJI a couple of them were updates in nfz-files, "only"
Perhaps Potus decided on short notice, to play Golf in Florida.
So the world has to update the DJI NFZ-files

Edit: I try to prevent that from happening.
At least in case I am planning to go droning.
The evening before I usually check on "have to have" updates
I hate to sitt in the field, a slow mobil data connection, perhaps, and have to update something!

Have any of you encountered updates that would not allow you to fly until they were done? This happened to me a few weeks ago. After driving several miles to get a shot of a business at sunset the update notice came up. I looked for an option to postpone it but did not find. I tried to go around it but i kept getting the notice. As most of you will know, the window for the perfect sunset light is very narrow. I reluctantly started the update. Wouldn't you know it took several tries to get it completed. It seemed to get stuck in about the last 10% of the update. I shut both the drone and the control down and started from scratch a couple of times before it finally completed. This took a total of about 40 minutes. Unfortunately, my window had closed by the time I got the update installed. A totally wasted trip. DJI gives the delay option which i have used several times. Hard to believe the people at Parrot would not do the same.
I am using FCC_mod 6.6.2 and one older version 1.6.3. firmware. In the application, a tiny green note informs me that there is new firmware: 1.6.4. I did not update due to known issues and did not force me to do anything. He flew perfectly.

I had that on both, DJI's and on the Anafi too (I think, I remember one time!).
I assume that is, because most people let update the apps from playstore / appstore whenever an update get pushed.
After a little while, the newest app will not longer work with the older firmwares.

Aside, that on DJI a couple of them were updates in nfz-files, "only"
Perhaps Potus decided on short notice, to play Golf in Florida.
So the world has to update the DJI NFZ-files

Edit: I try to prevent that from happening.
At least in case I am planning to go droning.
The evening before I usually check on "have to have" updates
I hate to sitt in the field, a slow mobil data connection, perhaps, and have to update something!
Yes, it would be wise to check for updates ahead of time in a perfect world, but my world is far from perfect. LoL I usually bring three drones when I leave. Just making sure that I have all the batteries charged and everything I'm going to need is a task in it's self. I also compile of list of the sites I'm going to visit and set an order to that list based on lighting and time of day. Since updates are not that often, I can't justify the time to check on this each day. It just seems to me Parrot should think about this and consider the burden it is on the pilot out in the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem