Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Skycontroller 2 USB repair

mikeexplorer

Reaction score
Website
www.nepaview.com
I want to pass this on because I am sure this has happened to someone else. The USB connector broke clean off in my skycontroller 2. I had a few instances before this where the video feed would freeze up, but I still had control of the drone. There are two small metal tabs on the side of the USB connector that hold it to the board. These broke clean off as you can see in the first and second picture. This means there was nothing left to hold the USB port in place. I didn't want to just use a dab of solder since it would not hold. I used a small piece of CAT5 Ethernet wire (solid copper, I think 24 gauge?) After cleaning out the holes, I was able to slip two wires through where the tabs were and solder them to the board. I was lucky that the 4 connections to the USB port broke off clean as well. With this new "harness" the port should stay secured to the board now.

Mike

Attachments

• 0522201617 (Medium).jpg
    0522201617 (Medium).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 0522201657 (Medium).jpg
    0522201657 (Medium).jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 0522201809_HDR (Medium).jpg
    0522201809_HDR (Medium).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 0522201818 (Medium).jpg
    0522201818 (Medium).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 0522201823 (Medium).jpg
    0522201823 (Medium).jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 13
Nice fix! New USB ports will have longer feet that go through and you can bend over the bottom of the board. The original ones weren't the best I must admit.

You can clearly see in my first picture that the tabs were just soldered in and not bent. Did not seem to matter as it broke clean off at the top side of the board. So even after cleaning out the holes, there wasn't anything left to secure it so I came up with this idea and so far its working well.

Mike

This happened to my Skycontroller 2 yesterday. The USB broke completely off. I've taken it apart but do not have soldering skiils to repair it myself. Their is a refurbished unit on Ebay for about 60 bucks. I'll ask around for an electronics company that could replace a USB 2 socket. Any advice? Thanks

This happened to my Skycontroller 2 yesterday. The USB broke completely off. I've taken it apart but do not have soldering skiils to repair it myself. Their is a refurbished unit on Ebay for about 60 bucks. I'll ask around for an electronics company that could replace a USB 2 socket. Any advice? Thanks

Ask your friends if they know anyone who does soldering work. Someone around you locally should be able to do it.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar