Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Something went wrong with my Anafi - Is there a bug? - Altitude consistency when taking off from a high point then when it is time to land?

luluck

Reaction score
I tried twice to land in my hand but it failed. OK may be I did't operate well.

The matter si that my Anafi fell the second time and then climbed by itself in the air and my sticks did nothing. I couldn't drive my Anafi in any way.
I was lucky that it fell by itself with no permanent damage and that I could recover it

Look at the altitude gauge and display at the end, at time 11.15, at that moment it seems to be not consistant.
May be this has something to do with this bug? may be not?

I had a fatal bug with my bebop 1. When taking off from a small high point then flying not very high there were a bug then my bebop crashed (the bebop 2 didn't have this bug). I would not like to have something similar with my very new Anafi

Yes when you beginning "riding" on the fence, it's going wrong. But what happens next can not really be seen. Were all props undamaged after your ride ?

Finally, I guess you flew out of VLOS. Do I need to write more ? ;)

Regards Leif.

I hit nothing sir. Look at 10:01 I am right hand-handed and tall. When I try to land, my hand is over the fence, and even over the level of the head of the man with the can (my son) as you can see at 11:36

What happens is that I slightly put the Anafi on my hand about 11:14 (look we almost cannot even see the fence) then I press the landing button but the propellers didn't stop. I took off my hand some seconds later (11:15) because a propeller hurt my hand when Anafi tend to put iself on a side (I had some blood) and Anafi didnt fall this first try but went on my right side (11:17). It didn't hit the fence nor anything.

Second try some seconds later at 11:38 and the propellers didn't stop. I took off my hand some seconds later because I was afraid to be hurt again, but this time Anafi fell

I made several tests yesterday and I saw that this was not the correct way to operate a landing in the hand. Instead I had to put my hand really lower then press the landing button. And when the Anafi is just about to touch my hand, I rise my hand up and the propellers stop immediatly.

I am not a beginner, it's been years that I pilot drones and 2 years that my Mavic Pro lands by hand several times a week... The only piloting problem is that I probably did wrong when I put the Anafi directly on my hand THEN press the landing button instead of let the Anafi "fell" on my hand by pressing the landing button. This is OK and is not why I made this topic.

The matter is that when he fell on the ground he left again. And I could not stop it, this is THE problem. The sticks did nothing. I was not in panic, this was not my first scare with drones... But I saw my Anafi going toward the sea on its own...

2 years ago I had a bug with my bebop 1 (see Bug bebop 1 ). The first time when I took off from a elevated place my bebop fell. There were no piloting problem. I then spent days and days in watching Youtube and saw that bebops frequently fell in such conditions. It was not necessary to be very high above the ground. Bebop 2 didn't have this bug.

Look here bug too the anafy took off a little above the water level and something wrong happened, and another guy commented with a similar problem in similar conditions.
This is why i am a little touchy when a bug happened the day when I took off from a elevated point

EDIT This is my flight where you can see my initial take off Landing off

luluck,

if Anafi didn't hit the fence (looks like that in your video!) then at least Anafi's propeller hit your hand while dealing with an unsuccessful hand landing. After that Anafi fell to the ground (grass!) and obviously tried to recover from that plight, not realizing that she is already grounded. That may happen on "softer" surfaces like grass.
Many things can happen then. It's quite hard to call that behaviour a bug!

The bug is that after falling off at 11:40 (on a hard ground between the hence where I stayed) then climbed again in the air I had no control on it. This is THE bug
The video was OK but the sticks were inoperant while it went out toward the grass. This is what I want to focus on

Last edited:
Yes, I do understand what you want to focus on.
But your focus is a direct consequence of Anafi's AI dealing with a pilot caused mixture of a crash and of an unsuccessful hand landing.
I would not call that a bug, but let us perhaps call it an overtaxing.

At the moment I improved the way I land in my hand. It seems to be OK but I am not sure that during a windy day the Anafi will fell in my hand just as it should to...

I was lucky that time, I had no damage but I often take off in front of a precipice and would not see my Anafi flying away without being able to stop that, no matter the reason...

I hit nothing sir. Look at 10:01 I am right hand-handed and tall. When I try to land, my hand is over the fence, and even over the level of the head of the man with the can (my son) as you can see at 11:36

What happens is that I slightly put the Anafi on my hand about 11:14 (look we almost cannot even see the fence) then I press the landing button but the propellers didn't stop. I took off my hand some seconds later (11:15) because a propeller hurt my hand when Anafi tend to put iself on a side (I had some blood) and Anafi didnt fall this first try but went on my right side (11:17). It didn't hit the fence nor anything.

Second try some seconds later at 11:38 and the propellers didn't stop. I took off my hand some seconds later because I was afraid to be hurt again, but this time Anafi fell

I made several tests yesterday and I saw that this was not the correct way to operate a landing in the hand. Instead I had to put my hand really lower then press the landing button. And when the Anafi is just about to touch my hand, I rise my hand up and the propellers stop immediatly.

I am not a beginner, it's been years that I pilot drones and 2 years that my Mavic Pro lands by hand several times a week... The only piloting problem is that I probably did wrong when I put the Anafi directly on my hand THEN press the landing button instead of let the Anafi "fell" on my hand by pressing the landing button. This is OK and is not why I made this topic.

The matter is that when he fell on the ground he left again. And I could not stop it, this is THE problem. The sticks did nothing. I was not in panic, this was not my first scare with drones... But I saw my Anafi going toward the sea on its own...

2 years ago I had a bug with my bebop 1 (see Bug bebop 1 ). The first time when I took off from a elevated place my bebop fell. There were no piloting problem. I then spent days and days in watching Youtube and saw that bebops frequently fell in such conditions. It was not necessary to be very high above the ground. Bebop 2 didn't have this bug.

Look here bug too the anafy took off a little above the water level and something wrong happened, and another guy commented with a similar problem in similar conditions.
This is why i am a little touchy when a bug happened the day when I took off from a elevated point

EDIT This is my flight where you can see my initial take off Landing off

Yes, okay. Then I'm wrong, sorry. I also ran to the end of the video to see your landing.

Obviously, when a prop hits your hand/fingers, Anafi will be out of ballance and will reappear automatically.

What stops the engines at Anafi is when the ultrasound sensor under the bottom "looks" there is a subject close to the underside in x number of time. Alternatively, if Anafi leans more than 90 degrees away from normal hover position. You have not achieved one of the conditions in any of the two attempts. Of course, Anafi will try to straighten up when it's overrun. And what happens after the second landing attempt I can not see but only guess.

Would it say it was not you there afterwards flew Anafi over the wet piece and landed in the grass by sticks ?

The only bug I've heard about is when Anafi is going to land with the Start/Land button, the landing speed is a bit high. If you use your left stitch that is no problem.

Once again, I only thought you should start/land in a place where there is plenty of room to all sides and upwards also.

Regards Leif.

Last edited:
"Would it say it was not you there afterwards flew Anafi over the wet piece and landed in the grass by sticks ? "
That's it, I did nothing

Of course having plenty of room is the nice solution when possible
Thanks for the answers

"Would it say it was not you there afterwards flew Anafi over the wet piece and landed in the grass by sticks ? "
That's it, I did nothing

Of course having plenty of room is the nice solution when possible
Thanks for the answers

Yes, the last 10 sek in the air, I can not figure out what caused. I would suggest you write to Parrot and ask them to check your log for that flight. That "trip" Anafi should not be able to fly herself, so I have to conclude there is a bug in the firmware.

Regards Leif.

I tried to write to Parrot France (I am french, so sorry if what I write is not always very clear) but I didn't have any answer yet. In fact I bought from Amazon France and parrot says that for any information I have to ask to the vendor. I found no way to send something directly to Parrot except asking for a technical information

Just a guess, looks like the bottom sensors got confused with the fence and then it became uncontrollable. When I first got mine I tried to land on a glass top table and the senors did not like that either and it just took off 25 feet away and started bouncing up and down on the ground before coming to a full stop.

Reactions: Jed Anafi
I tried to write to Parrot France (I am french, so sorry if what I write is not always very clear) but I didn't have any answer yet. In fact I bought from Amazon France and parrot says that for any information I have to ask to the vendor. I found no way to send something directly to Parrot except asking for a technical information

Yes and I'm from Denmark and have to write through Google translate. There is nothing to apologize for. ;)

It's a pity you did not buy your Anafi directly at Parrot's online store. I wish you all the luck you can get through Amazon. :)

Regards Leif.

If I read all posts of this thread again, I am not convinced that a "new" Anafi would not act similar beeing in the same situation than the actual one.

What I mean:
- I don't think that luluck's Anafi has a hardware error causing the described situation.
- If there would be a FW/software bug causing the unexpected takeoff after crash/unsuccessful hand landing (what I don't believe), then only a software update could solve the problem.

So I think an exchange of the drone using the same FW/software is not helpful.

really someone needs to see if this is repeatable. Had this occurred during a normal landing it would be of concern but it happened as a result of 2 messy attempts to hand catch.

If I read all posts of this thread again, I am not convinced that a "new" Anafi would not act similar beeing in the same situation than the actual one.

What I mean:
- I don't think that luluck's Anafi has a hardware error causing the described situation.
- If there would be a FW/software bug causing the unexpected takeoff after crash/unsuccessful hand landing (what I don't believe), then only a software update could solve the problem.

So I think an exchange of the drone using the same FW/software is not helpful.

I agree. I think it was a bad reading from the sensors and the Anafi became uncontrollable.

We are missing to asking if Hand-launch was set to On or Off in setup to the controller/drone. That setting may explain something about the way Anafi behaved during the handlanding itself (not the time after second attempt) ?

Regards Leif.

Of course the Hand-launch was set on ON

And sure the hardware has nothing to do with what happened. Another Anafi in the same situation would probably have behave the same.
My opinion is that there is something not always consistant in some situations with the info from the ultrasonic, le barometer, the GPS, maybe the camera in the firmware
This is why I would like to inform Parrot. Not for a replacement, but to help optimizing the firmware

Just add my two cents: I think Anafi has some inconsistencies when reading data from optical flow, barometer and/or ultrasonic sensor, because despite the incident on hand-catching, when it goes to the gras, it is landed but trying to fly and the altitude indicator gets crazy reading, alternating from 0 to 7-8m in fractions of second...

I have two incidents involving altitude readings problem. (FYI: I only take-off after a preflight check where I assure battery is attached, have charge, props OK, GPS Lock, signal quality, etc)

- Fisrt, I was hovering about 12m high, little wind and over plain field with small grass. I touched the Landing button on controller, Anafi start to descend in a vertical line but about 5m from grund, it just acelerate the descend to almost a free fall and very near the ground, I think 1,5m, it just start to fight the fall accelerating its rotors to the max (based on noise it made), hit the ground and after 1-2s, climbed again to about 3m and start drifting several meters in every direction until I keep pressing Land button on controller and eventualy tha Anafi came down and landed.

- Second: Hit take-off from paved ground and Anafi climbed to about 1,2m and keep hovering for some seconds until it accelerates backwards against a wall, in a reflex, I comanded full stick forward and Anafi comes to complete still, as my controller was offset by a lot. Tried to let the stick go to center and Anafi start going backwards againg, in this moment I noted the altitude indicator oscilating and managed to land it using the landing button. After the landing, double-check everything again and nothing visible wrong, so I take-off again and everything worked fine...

So, I believe Anafi OS has some software problem when dealing with the downside sensors...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame