Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Theoretical Question

engine823

Reaction score
Just for a brain teaser, I know the Bebop Thermal comes with Flir One Pro 160x120 resolution. Curious if Flir were to come out in the next 1 -2 years with a Flir One with 320x240 or higher resolution if you could just but the new camera and just switch it out?

Reactions: vkm083185
Really impossible to say. Technically most likely yes, but there would certainly be some changes to do to the software and possibly the mount and we all know how manufacturers like to take advantage of that to make you buy a new product.

Just for a brain teaser, I know the Bebop Thermal comes with Flir One Pro 160x120 resolution. Curious if Flir were to come out in the next 1 -2 years with a Flir One with 320x240 or higher resolution if you could just but the new camera and just switch it out?
I am a long-time FLIR end product user and multi-product owner. It has been my experience that FLIR doesn't interchange product very often.

In my opinion, the FLIR-One lineup SHOULD interchange. It is a lineup that provides entry level FLIR with several very similar to use product entries. Unlike the Pro level equipment (which has specific offerings for job-type / radiometric needs, etc), the One series could EASILY be interchangeable. However, as mentioned before, FLIR doesn't seem to want to do that. The software would be the main differentiator. However, they could easily create a multi-purpose, upgradable version for somewhat similar end product usage.

Here's hoping they wise up and do it! Good thought.

In one to two years there will be a new model quad out and the new cams will most likely only fit the new one. Except for the DJI Inspire, I can't think of a quad yet that has had equipment made a year later than the drone that has been retrofit.

In one to two years there will be a new model quad out and the new cams will most likely only fit the new one. Except for the DJI Inspire, I can't think of a quad yet that has had equipment made a year later than the drone that has been retrofit.
I have not gotten my bebop thermal yet but does the flir one pro not just plug in with a micro usb? they state that the flir one pro simply can be removed and used on your phone then put back on the drone. If there is a new flir one that comes out with higher resolution that connects in the same form ( micro usb ) what is there that wouldnt fit? you just remove the current flir one pro and put in the new one??
What am I missing? And what software would be needed to upgrade except maybe something in the Free Flight Thermal App? You would still be using a flir one just with higher resolution.
I was hoping :unsure: that it would be as simple as purchasing the theoretical upgraded flir one and switching them out. Unplug one from the micro usb on the drone and put in the upgraded one. That is if the dimensions of the upgraded Flir one are the same as the older one.
The cameras they have on this drone is just a flir one pro just like you can get on Amazon?
I even wondered if you could switch the flir one pro on the drone with a seek camera?? That may not work though because of the way it is charged

I have not gotten my bebop thermal yet but does the flir one pro not just plug in with a micro usb? they state that the flir one pro simply can be removed and used on your phone then put back on the drone. If there is a new flir one that comes out with higher resolution that connects in the same form ( micro usb ) what is there that wouldnt fit? you just remove the current flir one pro and put in the new one??
What am I missing? And what software would be needed to upgrade except maybe something in the Free Flight Thermal App? You would still be using a flir one just with higher resolution.
I was hoping :unsure: that it would be as simple as purchasing the theoretical upgraded flir one and switching them out. Unplug one from the micro usb on the drone and put in the upgraded one. That is if the dimensions of the upgraded Flir one are the same as the older one.
The cameras they have on this drone is just a flir one pro just like you can get on Amazon?
I even wondered if you could switch the flir one pro on the drone with a seek camera?? That may not work though because of the way it is charged

Remember, I'm not saying you can't, it's just been my experience that FLIR doesn't do things that way. The hardware would no doubt plug right in. Usually where they throw in a marketing-type strategic road block is in the software.

FreeFlight Thermal would need to be able to handle radiometric data for a higher resolution camera. It has been my experience that FLIR uses software "compatibility" (or the lack thereof) as their way to make us buy a higher priced package. I might be wrong...in fact I really hope I am. I think a good marketing strategy in the One series is to do exactly what you are asking.

I have another Flir-One that I use on my iPhone several times a week. I haven't tried to interchange them simply because I don't need to (mine might not work since it has a lightning connector instead of an Android-type connector).

AS for me, time is money. It's a living, and so I really do not have a lot of "tinker" time with my units. I use them to make $ every day so I have little time left for experimenting.

If they come out with a higher res One series, you can guarantee that I will buy one and try it out though, lol. Will it work...who knows...I hope so! Good Luck!

PS: Not sure about the Seek cam. They (FLIR) may have something programmed into the setup to detect and restrict the cam to theirs only, I'm not sure. I'm not a Seek company fan so I don't really know.

Reactions: engine823
Remember, I'm not saying you can't, it's just been my experience that FLIR doesn't do things that way. The hardware would no doubt plug right in. Usually where they throw in a marketing-type strategic road block is in the software.

FreeFlight Thermal would need to be able to handle radiometric data for a higher resolution camera. It has been my experience that FLIR uses software "compatibility" (or the lack thereof) as their way to make us buy a higher priced package. I might be wrong...in fact I really hope I am. I think a good marketing strategy in the One series is to do exactly what you are asking.

I have another Flir-One that I use on my iPhone several times a week. I haven't tried to interchange them simply because I don't need to (mine might not work since it has a lightning connector instead of an Android-type connector).

AS for me, time is money. It's a living, and so I really do not have a lot of "tinker" time with my units. I use them to make $ every day so I have little time left for experimenting.

If they come out with a higher res One series, you can guarantee that I will buy one and try it out though, lol. Will it work...who knows...I hope so! Good Luck!

PS: Not sure about the Seek cam. They (FLIR) may have something programmed into the setup to detect and restrict the cam to theirs only, I'm not sure. I'm not a Seek company fan so I don't really know.
I hope it would work as well. Seems to me like it would but I'm no engineer. Here's hoping that higher resolution flir one is right around the corner!
Never know, they may never upgrade the flir one?? Theoretical is fun! Especially while I'm sitting waiting on my drone to arrive

Every version of the flir one so far has had different mechanical construction and design, no doubt any further iteration will too.

Every version of the flir one so far has had different mechanical construction and design, no doubt any further iteration will too.
True dat. Lol. They are REALLY good at making new product just different enough that it is incompatible with older product. Good marketing on their part. Bad for us dreamers, lol.

Flew the Parrot Bebop Thermal today. Put it through some serious flight patterns. It's not DJI, that's for sure, lol. A little quirky, but flies decent.

The thermal portion works as advertised. I have a roof energy audit later this week. That will be the REAL test. Hopefully I can get some video and get it uploaded so y'all can check it out. It's hard to remember that there is ZERO obstacle avoidance. So used to DJI. Other than that, and a little "plastic-y" feel to the controls, it flew well. It's a keeper for the $$$.

The Galaxy Tab S3 (so glad I went with it) worked flawlessly with the telemetry from the drone (both thermal and reg. camera). Not perfect, but thumbs up from me so far, at this time.

Flew the Parrot Bebop Thermal today. Put it through some serious flight patterns. It's not DJI, that's for sure, lol. A little quirky, but flies decent.

The thermal portion works as advertised. I have a roof energy audit later this week. That will be the REAL test. Hopefully I can get some video and get it uploaded so y'all can check it out. It's hard to remember that there is ZERO obstacle avoidance. So used to DJI. Other than that, and a little "plastic-y" feel to the controls, it flew well. It's a keeper for the $$$.

The Galaxy Tab S3 (so glad I went with it) worked flawlessly with the telemetry from the drone (both thermal and reg. camera). Not perfect, but thumbs up from me so far, at this time.
I know this isn't your actual reason for purchasing the drone but curious if you would give an idea how the thermal works on person size targets from 100 - 150 feet
I realize the 160 x 120 resolution but just curious if at that distance you can make out if it's a human as say compared to other wildlife

Funny you should ask, lol. That i one of the first things I tried, mostly because our small Volunteer Fire Department could benefit from the SAR capabilities (and hot spot targeting) of a thermal drone. At about 100 ft you can make out that it is a human IF you squint, lol. Much above that, you just have to find a heat source and drop on it from altitude.

Also a note...I called Parrot today and spoke with support for the third time trying to get an answer for if or when we can integrate Flight Plan or something like into the Thermal App. SAR isn't much good without a preprogrammed flight grid (that comes from experience with a different thermal SAR setup). Hopefully they will answer within 1-2 days by email as promised. If I hear, I'll post here. Flight Plan or something like would GREATLY enhance SAR efforts.

Regarding the interchangability of a normal Flir ONE Pro with the Parrot Version.... There is a note in the documentation that the Parrot Flir ONE Pro's firmware should not be updated with releases from Flir...that this will render the camera inoperable with the FreeFlightPro Thermal app.

We, as a group of B2ProThermal users should gather the available products, firmwares, documents, app APKs...and any other assets now. Parrot is going through some changes. We may not have years of use with this kit.

I have all of the available documents and the App APKs...I cannot locate the Parrot/Flir camera firmware nor a Bebop-Pro Thermal firmware file.

Here is my roof test I thought i had posted this before. Works very well and tighly integrated with application. Great value . How much resolution do you really need for this type of work. I can see a human face heat signature from 100 ft up. Not clearly however you know what it is.

Attachments

• 963Roof.pdf
    743.9 KB · Views: 9

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut