Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Trick to use ev trigger as a Shutter speed (Tv)

MustangPhil

Reaction score
————
Edit : Due to a bug, the trick does not work as the choice of the ISO value in the advanced photo setting of the FPV menu is not persistent when you validate it.
When you go back immediately in the menu to check... it is still in (A)uto mode... disappointing...

————
With the last updates of FF6 and firmware upgrades, there is a function I was hoping to appear ... the ev trigger function.
When you shoot DNG (+jpeg because DNG Only is not possible).
You may want to change the Exposure Value with the controller and it is now possible.

Using the zoom trigger is completely useless for me because you can crop your picture in post-prod in any photo editing software.
So in the setting menu, you can now choose the ‘ev’ trigger option that transforms your zoom in/zoom out trigger in a ev+ / ev- function... Ok, good, For the video menu, that maybe perfect (I checked also this function in a little vid... great!)... but in DNG photo mode, I needed more control on the parameters of the ‘ev trigger’...

I am not sure it was intended to work like that but I found the following :

- To modify the Exposure values (more or less ‘bright’ image by changing settings), a photographer’s first reflex will be to change the lens Aperture values (Av)... but it is not possible with the Anafi as the lens features a fixed aperture.
- You can then act both on the ISO settings and the Shutter Speed, sometimes refered to as Time values (Tv) (and my guess is this is the case with the addition of this new function, both values change, but you do not see it ‘live’ on the screen... something to be improved !)
- when I shoot DNG (and obviously flying outside in an ‘enough bright daylight’), I use the ISO 100 or ISO 200 with the Anafi to avoid any ‘grainy effect on the DNG final file.
- So the parameter that I’d like to change with the trigger is not the ev value but the Shutter Speed (Tv) only.
- To do that, you have to :
  • Chose DNG+JPEG in the photo Mode
  • Chose the ‘non automatic settings’ that are called ‘Pro’ Settings’, To access this function, press on the (A)uto button that becomes a ‘Pro’ button.
  • You can then see all modifiable parameters that are already set to (A) meaning they still can vary automatically.
  • I choose the ISO setting, and make it fixed by clicking on 100 for example.
  • Then I choose the Tv or ‘Speed’ to change the Shutter Speed setting and click on the proposed value on the top screen so the exposure remains at a neutral value of ‘+0 ev’ (for example 1/2 second if you prepare this setting in your house prior flight !). Of course, choosing 1/2 second will not ‘freeze’ the image that will be blurry but you will change it in flight to values faster than 1/50 or even faster depending on the needed exposure of the scene.
  • When you resume to the main screen (clicking on the DNG+JPEG menu on the top of the options), your trigger becomes a Tv trigger in flight (or a ‘Shutter speed’ Only trigger ! And you can even see the effects of the change on the screen (brighter/darker live view, but also on the histogram and also on the displayed values that change like 1/2 s then 1/4s then 1/8 ...). The ev displayed parameter will also change... but who cares ? You know you are only acting on the Shutter speed parameter.
Of course, I’d prefer a ‘Tv Trigger’ on the menu setting, that could be more straightforward (but now I get what I was expecting !)
I still would love a ‘DNG Only option’, but I know Parrot is not found of this idea despite the many requests here !

Hope this trick makes sense to you, and sorry for my poor English.

Last edited:
With the last updates of FF6 and firmware upgrades, there is a function I was hoping to appear ... the ev trigger function.
When you shoot DNG (+jpeg because DNG Only is not possible).
You may want to change the Exposition Value with the controller and it is now possible.

Using the zoom trigger is completely useless for me because you can crop your picture in post-prod in any photo editing software.
So in the setting menu, you can now choose the ‘ev’ trigger option that transforms your zoom in/zoom out trigger in a ev+ / ev- function... Ok, good, For the video menu, that maybe perfect (I checked also this function in a little vid... great!)... but in DNG photo mode, I needed more control on the parameters of the ‘ev trigger’...

I am not sure it was intended to work like that but I found the following :

- To modify the Exposition Values (more or less ‘bright’ image by changing settings), a photographer’s first reflex will be to change the lens Aperture values (Av)... but it is not possible with the Anafi as the lens features a fixed aperture.
- You can then act both on the ISO settings and the Time values (Tv) (and my guess is this is the case with the addition of this new function, both values change, but you do not see it ‘live’ on the screen... something to be improved !)
- when I shoot DNG (and obviously flying outside in an ‘enough bright daylight’), I use the ISO 100 or ISO 200 with the Anafi to avoid any ‘grainy effect on the DNG final file.
- So the parameter that I’d like to change with the trigger is not the ev value but the Time value (Tv) only.
- To do that, you have to :
  • Chose DNG+JPEG in the photo Mode
  • Chose the ‘non automatic settings’ that are called ‘Pro’ Settings’, To access this function, press on the (A)uto button that becomes a ‘Pro’ button.
  • You can then see all modifiable parameters that are already set to (A) meaning they still can vary automatically.
  • I choose the ISO setting, and make it fixed by clicking on 100 for example.
  • Then I choose the Tv or ‘Speed’ setting and click on the proposed value on the top screen so the exposure remains at a neutral value of ‘+0 ev’ (for example 1/2 second if you prepare this setting in your house prior flight !).
  • When you resume to the main screen (clicking on the DNG+JPEG menu on the top of the options), your trigger becomes a Tv trigger in flight ! And you can even see the effects of the change on the scree (brighter/darker live view, but also on the histogram and also on the displayed values that change like 1/2 s then 1/4s then 1/8 ...). The ev displayed parameter will also change... but who cares ? You know you are only acting on the speed parameter.
Of course, I’d prefer a ‘Tv Trigger’ on the menu setting, that could me more straightforward (but now I get what I was expecting !)
I still would love a ‘DNG Only option’, but I know Parrot is not found of this idea despite the many requests here !

Hope this trick makes sense to you, and sorry for my poor English.

salut

Es tu sur le groupe FB ? Je t'invite si tu peux à nous faire partager ces retours interressants. Merci Zig Zag :)
Parrot Anafi utilisateurs France

Hello ZigZag84, I was on this French FaceBook group a few months ago, but I left. I prefer this parrotpilot.com section, much more international and friendly with some ‘top level users’ that share really interesting infos, moded apps, advices...
Thanks anyway (merci quand même),
Philippe

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
@MustangPhil That is very useful information. Thank you for taking the time to write it all down. Unfortunately with a fixed aperture camera it is always going to be a compromise between either a low ISO value to reduce grain or a high Shutter speed to freeze movement of the Anafi.

Your English is a lot better than my French but if I may be as bold just to clarify a couple of points.
"Exposition values" in English are called "Exposure values"
"Time values" are normally called the "Shutter Speed".

Thanks Liger 1956 for your clarification propositions, I’m going to edit my post to change it a little.

- For my needs, I just wanted to be able to change the expo values, by changing only the Shutter Speed and not the ISO setting that I prefer fixed to 100 ISO. The possibility offered by the Zoom Trigger on the SkyController 3 is a great opportunity to do that quickly without any menu manipulation. To ‘freeze’ the motion is not that difficult with Shutter Speeds faster than 1/50, and with the described procedure you can still read the Shutter Speed on the screen (that doesn’t vary in Auto mode, although I’m sure it changes with the ISO setting).

- ‘Exposition’ is the French word for ‘Exposure’, I will correct my mistake.
- You are right (it’s your language after all ;o) with the use of ‘Shutter Speed’, but I use the ‘Time value’ term because most photographers in the world use cameras from Nikon or Canon or other brands that change shutter Speeds with a knob written ‘Tv’ like ‘Time Value’ as well as a knob called ‘Av’ for Aperture Value... but as I previously said ‘it’s your language’ and I’ll correct that also (though it is our mutual tunnel ;o)

Last edited:
Edit : Due to a bug, the trick does not work as the choice of the ISO value in the advanced photo setting of the FPV menu is not persistent when you validate it.
When you go back immediately in the menu to check... it is still in (A)uto mode... disappointing...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem