Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Trying to fix anafi's leg

raynaa

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First of, I am glad to meet you all. I have read quite a bit of threads from this forum, and alaways managed to get useful information here, so I am very excited to open my own thread, which hopefully will allow to share information that may come in handy for others.

So coming to my issue, I crashed my Anafi drone a few days ago. Nothing too bad, just a leg slightly damaged. I managed to paste it back together and my drone was flying perfectly well. Still for the sake of tranquility I decided to order a parrot issued mechanical kit. I followed the steps from Parrot's tutorial video/PDF. It is quite a bit of work and requires precision but i go through all the steps without any issue. Untill I reached the part where I am supposed to remove the "hood" of the drone —not the actual term but I like to call it that— it is the part that says "Parrot" and that protects the GPS chip. In this video
4:39 — you can see the hood being removed from the body with the demonstrator only removing two screws on top of the drone and popping open the little button right behind the anafi's camera. On my side however, I am prevented from removing it by two tiny screws that are just above the battery input plug.

These two screws are tinier than other ones in the drone, and the kit does not provide any compatible screwdriver for these. What's more these are so small that none of the star shaped screwdriver I own is small enough — this includes the ones I use for replacing mobile phone parts that tend to be extremely small. When I called parrot to ask why it was the case: a missing piece in my kit / if I somehow got the instruction wrong ? They were not able to answer and had to raise a ticket which is currently escalating. This is getting me wondering how it is possible for a repair kit not to contain an item that is essential to conduct the advertized repair, without this being a known issue by the company. Especially after several years that said kit is on the market. Also noting that the representative I got on the phone was not too hopefull regarding my odds of fixing my drone with the Anafi Mechanical kit and advised that I try asking for a refund instead. Again I find this odd given the fact that parrot is not advertizing it as a particularly complex operation, the video is even captionned "ages 14 and up" implying that the process is straight forward.

I would be interested to speak with anyone that has already successfully replaced the legs of their drone and came across this issue. Also if anyone hppens to have the reference of the screwdriver to be used to remove these two screws that's be really useful. I don't really want to go to a hardware store with my partly dismantled drone...
Another possibility is that the screws don't actually need to be removed —which I highly doubt— if this is the case I'll feel slightly stupid but nonetheless happy to be able to get back to my repairs.

Best,

AR

Attachments

• IMG20200429130855.jpg
    IMG20200429130855.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
4.40 A barely perceptible squeezing and deformation of the hood before lifting it out ? Maybe ?

Thanks for your reply Lizio, however I just tried and it won't come out. Also what makes me lean towards the conclusion that there is no way to remove the hood without removing the little screws first, is that on the replacement hood part I can see two little cylinder shaped holes, right in front of where the two screws are located. So I can only assume the screws go in there. See picture below.

Attachments

• IMG20200501111714.jpg
    IMG20200501111714.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll share the video with Parrot Customer Support.
The one I got with my kit —which is too large— is a Torx 1.6 I assume, at least it's the only one mentionned in the video I shared initially. So I probably need the 1.4 that's mentionned along with the 1.6 in the second video.
Anyways I owe you one Lizio, thanks. In case anyone is following this, I'll post an update to confirm the size of the tool needed, as well as the reply I get from Parrot if they get back to me.

Also out of curiosity do older issues of the anafi also have these two screws ? if not that may explain why both the kit and the video are forgetting those, and why Parrot had to escalate the question.

Best,

Morning Ray, mine doesn't have those two screws. Probably came with the thermal?!
IMG_6219.jpg

Very interesting, so it appears to check out. the Anafi I own is not a termal, but I bought it a few weeks ago so it probably comes from a late release. While the mechanical kit I bought was probably designed for former releases and does not include a screwdriver or the screws. Still worth noting though that the hood part in the kit includes two holes for the screws I am curious as to why...
I'll share this thread with Parrot since they are busy escalating the issue. I hope they'll be able to provide more information with their kits thanks to this so that people don't get confused.
Also, whenever I manage to get my hands on the right screwdriver I'll post an update here.

This was very helpful, thanks Lizio, Test2000, and Dutch for helping me figuring this.

Best,

I think that fr a current model Anafi you would need this kit for the main body.

and this for the legs.

I think that fr a current model Anafi you would need this kit for the main body.

and this for the legs.
It does not show the screw holes in the upper body kit, but the problem is that you need to remove it to be able to access the legs I think

I recently bought this one as I needed a leg:
Standard mechanical kit.
The above combo seem much better, fits the basic need - only arm and motors. But that's only for the thermal or does it also fit the standard anafi?

The FPV arms are compatible whith first Anafi génération ???

I bought my ANAFI from studiosport.fr in march 2020, and I need a Torx TX4 (missing from mechanical kit bought this week).
Good drone, but very angry to be unable to fly because a key is missing... (okay, the root cause is a piloting issue ;-) ).

Attachments

• IMG_9497.JPG
    IMG_9497.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Deleted member 3201
It's a shame, but I hope you can get a cheap (good) one soon! good luck on the repair

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guads100k