Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

UK Registration with CAA

d95gas

Reaction score
To all our UK flyers, a gentle reminder that from today you MUST register with the CAA in order to fly anything over 250g. There is a 20 question test as part of the process, which is all common sense with a few general regulations thrown in.

£9 registration for 3yrs.

Further information can be found HERE

It is worth mentioning that if you are a member of a recognised association e.g. BMFA then you do not need to register, to comply with the law, until you renew your subscription at the beginning of next year should you choose to do so. Also if you have a BMFA achievement certificate (A, B or C) then you are exempt from the online flyers test. People that only fly indoors or control line are exempt from the regulations.

I have had a look at the site and it would be interesting if it had a counter for how many people had registered. I think that there will be fewer than expected.

Yes I was interested to see how many registered. I might add at this point, that the licence or authority is 2 parts:

1. Operator Licence - Which is only valid for 1yr
2. Flyer ID - Which is valid for 3yrs

Seems a bit of a messy way of doing things, should have just been 1 licence end of story....... but they must have a reason.

Could it be to do with money?
  • Flyer ID is free and lasts 3 years
  • Operator Licence costs £9 and lasts a year.

We live in the United Kingdom, EVERYTHING is to do with the MONEY :) ……. I think they only thing they cannot charge us for is "Breathing"..... and I am sure that given the chance, they would charge us for that :)

Whole Country is in a mess...…. But that's another soap box!!

Reactions: sprill22
Hmm where to put the "flyer ID"?

1572968803623.png

Your operator ID must be:
  • visible without needing a special tool to remove or open part of your aircraft
  • clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
  • secure and safe from damage
  • on the main body of the aircraft
  • easy to read when the aircraft is on the ground
You should use a removable label as your operator ID may change when you renew. You’ll need to remove your label if you’re no longer responsible for the drone or model aircraft.

You don't put your Flyer ID on the model it only needs the Operator ID. For the Anafi I would suggest that under the battery (which is removable without tools) is a good place. If it was just over 3mm high lettering it would not take up much space.

Here in Canada we also need to add our reg numbers. I just printed mine out and used some good clear packing tape for boxes. Stuck it on the bottom of the arm and its been there since June 1st with no problems.

20191105_115712.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up about the registration thing. Just finished it myself. Pretty easy quiz, you can read the rules mid-quiz too, so nothing too hard. Took about 10 mins to complete with the quick readthrough, quiz and payment.

Now that the lighter than 250g drones are coming out, I am expecting these rules to be modified after 1 year to cover those too to get even more money.

did mine this morning..... £9 for 20 questions..... cheap as chips....LOL

@MrDosa and @davyg Out of interest where are you sticking your operator ID's on your Anafi's?

I printed some out and then cut them down to size, and then just cellotaped one to the underside of the drone (on the body just behind the camera, but in front of the fan), I keep my ID in the case

I am with FPVUK so no need as of yet to pay or it seems do the exam (FPVUK have their own exam).

Screenshot_2019-11-05-21-18-54-418.jpeg

Last edited:
I know I will have to register at some point but I still think it’s a load of, if you’ll pardon my Latin, Bollox.

Like a few on here I’m a member of BMFA so I have a month or two before I commit but I still feel as though we’ve been forcibly implicated in a farcical publicity stunt.

The whole health and safety argument falls flat on its face when you consider that hobbyists have been flying SUAV’s, in one shape or another, for a 100yrs or more without any incidents. And if one of my non-drone colleagues bring up Gatwick once more I swear I won’t be responsible for my actions.

If unlicensed flying things pose such a risk then why are hangliders and Paramotors not subject to these same requirements unless they are fitted with wheels? These full scale flying machines have been responsible for many serious injuries, fatalities, and incursions into restricted airspace. Remember the demonstrator who flew in front of Trump in Scotland in an area that had been locked down to any flying craft?

Another reason why I know this is just a knee jerk reaction to a problem that doesn’t exist, apart from working in the Civil Service for 25yrs, is that come June 2020 the new EASA regulations concerning SUAS will come into force. This will affect the Mavic Mini owners whom believe they’ve circumvented registration as all SUAV’s, irrespective of AUW, will need to be registered if they have any data collecting equipment fitted eg a camera. Another EASA proposal I’m keeping an eye on is the requirement to carry electronic identification, such as ADS-B. The only devices I’ve so far come across suitable for a SUAV are in the £2000 price bracket. Some maybe surprised to know that for General Aviation this isn’t a legal requirement and many small manned aircraft don’t carry this type of device.

I’m sorry for the ranty post. I’ve just had an unhappy love affair, so I don’t see why anyone else should have a good time. ?

Message Ends

Nidge.

I know I will have to register at some point but I still think it’s a load of, if you’ll pardon my Latin, Bollox.

Like a few on here I’m a member of BMFA so I have a month or two before I commit but I still feel as though we’ve been forcibly implicated in a farcical publicity stunt.

The whole health and safety argument falls flat on its face when you consider that hobbyists have been flying SUAV’s, in one shape or another, for a 100yrs or more without any incidents. And if one of my non-drone colleagues bring up Gatwick once more I swear I won’t be responsible for my actions.

If unlicensed flying things pose such a risk then why are hangliders and Paramotors not subject to these same requirements unless they are fitted with wheels? These full scale flying machines have been responsible for many serious injuries, fatalities, and incursions into restricted airspace. Remember the demonstrator who flew in front of Trump in Scotland in an area that had been locked down to any flying craft?

Another reason why I know this is just a knee jerk reaction to a problem that doesn’t exist, apart from working in the Civil Service for 25yrs, is that come June 2020 the new EASA regulations concerning SUAS will come into force. This will affect the Mavic Mini owners whom believe they’ve circumvented registration as all SUAV’s, irrespective of AUW, will need to be registered if they have any data collecting equipment fitted eg a camera. Another EASA proposal I’m keeping an eye on is the requirement to carry electronic identification, such as ADS-B. The only devices I’ve so far come across suitable for a SUAV are in the £2000 price bracket. Some maybe surprised to know that for General Aviation this isn’t a legal requirement and many small manned aircraft don’t carry this type of device.

I’m sorry for the ranty post. I’ve just had an unhappy love affair, so I don’t see why anyone else should have a good time. ?

Message Ends

Nidge.

Well said! Like you, I'm a member of the BMFA and it's been interesting to read how they at least had some impact on the initial proposals and of course the annual fee. It's a shame that they weren't able to intervene further, but it seems they achieved quite a lot nonetheless. It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next couple of years as presumably there will be a huge increase in sales of sub-250g drones (initially) followed by new regulations that will, as you say, affect them too.

As @Nidge stated well above the whole thing is a joke.

I think more injuries and damage to private property have been sustained by 'unregistered' cricket balls and footballs in parks then a 320gram Quadcopter! Let alone all the injuries sustained by Dogs on unsuspecting members of the public!

Also what gets me - if you follow the 'drone code' to the letter as they state on the registration website - then in-effect they are saying you can only fly if no one will ever see you or notice you!! - so question then becomes why do we have to bother registering??

Finally, who is actually going to police this - are they expecting me to show the operator/flyer ID to everyone who requests it and how are they going then check this information? will that person then demand ID to show who I am? and what about my rights to privacy? and about identity what mechanisms are in place to prove the identity of the operator or flyer?

The reality is, with all regulations like this, once implemented they only grow - and it will be used to bash you over the head with until the whole joy of the hobby is wiped from your essence!

Me personally, I only ever use my Drone in anger when I am abroad, and in the UK I just mess around in the park - so I may just do a battery mod on the Anafi so it is below 250g and not bother registering!

Yes we all know that this is another "Government Fiasco" ...... If there is something to be enjoyed by the masses, you can guarantee they will try and beat us with it one way or another.

And now we start another load of screwing around with a "General Election" ....... Not one of them is worthy of the position...... Heads so far up their backsides planning the next way to keep the little man down and stop him enjoying life.

Could always vote Green party..... I mean they are guaranteeing £100bn per year for a decade to make us carbon neutral...... where the hell the money is coming from........... Possibly "drone pilots" on phase 2 of regs :)

Sorry..... rant over!!!!

Just to highlight a few other incompetent actions that have not been publicised that much.

When the DfT put the database contract out for tender they had bids ranging from £775,000 to £4,100,000 and went with latter. Someone’s having a merry Xmas.

As yet there has not been a risk assessment performed, usually a compulsory prerequisite for any kind of legislation like this.

The organisations, such as BMFA and FPVUK, have been asked to send their members details in using a plain text excel document, albeit via a secure FTP pipe. However most of us with even the most basic knowledge of file security understand the implications of sending such a document in the clear.

Even though the registration process is sort of in place the Bill to provide extra enforcement power to the police has not been passed, due to BREXIT and the proposed election, and won’t be passed until the first quarter of 2020 at the earliest.

I’m sure there will be others we can add to the list.

Regards

Nidge.

Has anybody done the UK test? , just done mine, just wondering what kind of labels are best. It was £9 if anybody was wondering and is a 20 question multiple-choice online test

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood