Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Using drone to create base layer to show property on ArcGIS

RPBB

Reaction score
I would like to be able to use my ANAFI Thermal drone to create a 4K base layer file for a 100 acre property for use on ArcGIS.
Has anyone else done this and if so, what tools would you recommend

Thanks

Try to stitch pictures together with something like webodm, then georefence them more precisely in ArcGis, using a local official map or internet maps that you have set as base layer in Arc GIS ?
I did some georeferencing of drone pictures with QGis, but it's mostly natural terrain with a few trails and almost no buildings, so it's impossible to get a good precision without special equipment. In my case it was obvious that the time spent to assemble lots of drone pictures (you need ~80% overlap) was not worth it. I got more detailed pictures than Google maps of course, but still too much deformations.
Depends a lot of the precision level you expect and what's on your property...

Try to stitch pictures together with something like webodm, then georefence them more precisely in ArcGis, using a local official map or internet maps that you have set as base layer in Arc GIS ?
I did some georeferencing of drone pictures with QGis, but it's mostly natural terrain with a few trails and almost no buildings, so it's impossible to get a good precision without special equipment. In my case it was obvious that the time spent to assemble lots of drone pictures (you need ~80% overlap) was not worth it. I got more detailed pictures than Google maps of course, but still too much deformations.
Depends a lot of the precision level you expect and what's on your property...
Thanks very much for the insights. I am looking for very high precision images, better than I can get from Google earth or even the County governments semi-annual high resolution base layer imagery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Batman