Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Various inconsistencies? Drunken wobbles, trails, file names, and brightness...

OBjuan

Reaction score
For the most part I am super digging my Anafi, but it has several occasional behaviors I find quite annoying, and am hoping there are ways to fix.

Drunken Wobble - sometimes my Anafi weaves about like it's 5am after a long night. Fluttering around in about a 4ft radius. It's hardly to not noticeable if you are filming up high from far away - but if you're trying to film something closeup, it ruins the shot. Sometimes at Take-off it flashes something about "GPS not being ideal" but I don't think this necessarily correlates with drunken wobble.

Trails - sometimes my Anafi leaves trails in it's footage. This is most noticeable with white dots on a dark background, but sometimes I see it in grass, and other places. It's kind of a cool effect, like a motion blur trail, but it's not that cool when you don't want it.

File Names - I mostly drag and drop my .MP4s from the ANAFI/DCIM/100MEDIA to my external harddrive, and they are all named something like "P4090401, P4090402" and so on... I usually use FastStone Image Viewer or Advanced File Renamer to give them more meaningful names - but regardless when I open them in VLC, they are called something like "ANAFI-E006062 - Date & Time - 0400". This makes it hard to keep track of which file I'm looking at in the list of a bunch of files. (maybe this is a VLC question, I dabbled a little with trying to adjust the filename shown in the interface, but no luck so far...)

Brightness - any tips tricks on trying to film a bright sky AND the landscape? And/or going from one to the other tilting the camera up and down. Seems like mostly to get good sky shots everything else is black, or vice versa the sky is blown out white. I dabbled with the HDR setting (which I know very little about) and it doesn't seem to help, and/or I don't know how to go about editing the video to take advantage of said Dynamic Range...?

Curious to know if other people are having these issues, and hoping you have already figured out solutions...

Thanks!

For the most part I am super digging my Anafi, but it has several occasional behaviors I find quite annoying, and am hoping there are ways to fix.

Drunken Wobble - sometimes my Anafi weaves about like it's 5am after a long night. Fluttering around in about a 4ft radius. It's hardly to not noticeable if you are filming up high from far away - but if you're trying to film something closeup, it ruins the shot. Sometimes at Take-off it flashes something about "GPS not being ideal" but I don't think this necessarily correlates with drunken wobble.

Trails - sometimes my Anafi leaves trails in it's footage. This is most noticeable with white dots on a dark background, but sometimes I see it in grass, and other places. It's kind of a cool effect, like a motion blur trail, but it's not that cool when you don't want it.

File Names - I mostly drag and drop my .MP4s from the ANAFI/DCIM/100MEDIA to my external harddrive, and they are all named something like "P4090401, P4090402" and so on... I usually use FastStone Image Viewer or Advanced File Renamer to give them more meaningful names - but regardless when I open them in VLC, they are called something like "ANAFI-E006062 - Date & Time - 0400". This makes it hard to keep track of which file I'm looking at in the list of a bunch of files. (maybe this is a VLC question, I dabbled a little with trying to adjust the filename shown in the interface, but no luck so far...)

Brightness - any tips tricks on trying to film a bright sky AND the landscape? And/or going from one to the other tilting the camera up and down. Seems like mostly to get good sky shots everything else is black, or vice versa the sky is blown out white. I dabbled with the HDR setting (which I know very little about) and it doesn't seem to help, and/or I don't know how to go about editing the video to take advantage of said Dynamic Range...?

Curious to know if other people are having these issues, and hoping you have already figured out solutions...

Thanks!

The "Trails" thing is weird and I haven't heard of that before! Could you post an example? Do you use filters of any sort and is the lens clean?

The Anafi will sometimes "wobble" during a fast decent because of it basically lowering through its own prop wash. Other than that... you can get wobbles in certian wind conditions. Again, can you post up a sample of that?

Have you performed all the calibrations?

That GPS notice is something else and I would be very mindful of making sure you have the best possible satellite connections at take-off... If you click on the drone icon on the top of the app screen it will open another screen giving the number of satellites currently being used....Anything over 10-12 is usually good but the more, the merrier.

The camera SHOULD adjust the exposure automatically as the light conditions change unless you have changed something in the settings....You should be able to tap on the screen in an area and it will adjust the exposure/brightness at that point. It, unfortunately, is a balancing act between landscape and sky...The Anafi does not have the dynamic range to have both...
The Anafi's HDR setting helps with that but that seems to cause a lot of artifacts when using it in video mode...Stills can benefit from it though but it is not available in all the modes ( eg. panorama or DNG capture)

Try doing a reset of all settings and re-evaluate

Last edited:
Reactions: dashSolo

Thanks!
I don't have answers to some of your questions, but I think I know what's happening with the File names and VLC...

It seems that VLC displays the 'Artist' and 'Title' tags, both in a playlist and on the top bar. As these can easily be edited in Windows Explorer (I still use Win7) then maybe you can find an automated way of editing these tags, so that VLC displays what you want. As you can see in my example screenshots, I renamed the 'Title' in one clip, and this now shows in the VLC playlist.

VLC_playlist.JPG

Win7_file_properties.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut