Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Water recovery questions...

DaveN

Reaction score
A while back my Parrot Anafi did the death dive into the water. On the plus side, I did look up when the screen went to static and I saw it hit the water. The GPS location in the app looks pretty accurate in my estimation. The weather was conducive for a search about two days later so I looked but with no success. No swimming at that time as the water temp was just above freezing. Water depth at the crash site is a little less than two meters (maybe 5-1/2 feet). Searched several times after that but the bottom has a layer of algae that may be hiding the drone. If you disturb it, the water is cloudy and you can't see anything.

So my question is this. Since I don't have an Anafi to check, do the motors have rare earth magnets and be able to be attracted by a magnet I drag just above the bottom? Can someone test by holding a magnet near one of your Anafi motors to see if there is a strong attraction?

Thanks.

Reactions: Deleted member 3201
I have experience with this issue. The motor magnets are not powerful enough for your recovery theory, however...The last known position on the ANAFI app are the exact coordinates, go to. If too deep try a grappling hook or the like. I found mine on the old manual entry Garmin. It was 75ft deep but the water was clear so I could see the white camera so I dove down and recovered. It was under water for about 2 hrs and recorded for 25 minutes of bottom time. The entire sinking was recorded. Upon recovery I blew it out and let stand for 24 hrs. Parrot replaced it for an unknown issue. Last Aug, I was at a shoot and the ANAFI disappeared and was never recovered until last week. The customer found it 50 ft off their beach where the water receded to for the winter. I now have spare parts for someone looking for non electronic parts in great condition. Good luck with your recovery.

Last edited:
I have experience with this issue. The motor magnets are not powerful enough for your recovery theory, however...The last known position on the ANAFI app are the exact coordinates, go to. If too deep try a grappling hook or the like. I found mine on the old manual entry Garmin. It was 75ft deep but the water was clear so I could see the white camera so I dove down and recovered. It was under water for about 2 hrs and recorded for 25 minutes of bottom time. The entire sinking was recorded. Upon recovery I blew it out and let stand for 24 hrs. Parrot replaced it for an unknown issue. Last Aug, I will at a shoot and the ANAFI disappeared and was never recovered until last week. The customer found it 50 ft off their beach where the water receded to for winter. I now have spare parts for someone looking for non electronic parts in great condition. Good luck with your recovery.
Thanks for the information. Mine isn't that deep and the water is clear but the bottom is a soft silt covered with some weeds and unfortunately about six inches of unconsolidated algae. I kayaked over the spot soon after it happened and couldn't find it and then snorkeled over the area a few days ago when the water was warm enough. Tomorrow my neighbor is going to put on his tanks and give it a go. I have the location on my phone and may drop a marker. I also rigged up a grappling hook with a camera on the end that I was hoping to use earlier but wanted a visual from above first. If the SCUBA doesn't work tomorrow I may use brute force and rake the bottom and go by feel.

It would be interesting to see the video you have from yours that sank. Have you posted it somewhere?

Thanks again.

Update: Recovered my Anafi today. The micro SD card was functional but some of the last photos were corrupt. These were the photos that were taken just before the failure so that may be related. I've been drying out the drone and may wait a few days before powering up for a test. Crossing my fingers... eight weeks and two days under water

Обновление: восстановил мой Анафи сегодня. Карта micro SD работала, но некоторые из последних фотографий были повреждены. Это были фотографии, сделанные незадолго до аварии, так что это может иметь отношение. Я сушил дрон и могу подождать несколько дней, прежде чем подключиться к тесту. Скрещиваю пальцы ... восемь недель и два дня под водой
Привет. Есть результаты по затонувшему дрону?

Привет. Есть результаты по затонувшему дрону?
Yes. It was for a sunken drone. I believe the last few photos that were corrupt were corrupt by the system failure that caused the crash. After cleaning and drying the drone only the downward facing camera did not work so the drone will not fly.

Some people have luck relocating the cable , but I don’t know if that’s true; it’s just what they claim. I’d say try it!

Reactions: DaveN

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut