Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What phones work with Auto-Follow at speed?

Quadbod

Reaction score
Hello everyone, another newbie here.

I'd be interested to know what phones work for you when using auto-follow/visual tracking at speed (eg up to 30mph), with just the phone, ie not linked to the Skycontroller 2.

I'm into powerkiting, and got a Bebop 2 to follow me & film others. I've done a dozen or so flights, getting to know all the features. All F/w is up-to-date and it all works. So far so good.

However, when using tracking at higher speeds (with the mobile in my pocket) I'm finding the app frequently loses the subject, and I think it may be the phone not up the job:
it's a Huawei P8 Lite, Android 7.0, with Kirin 620 28nm chipset, Octacore 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 CPU, Mali-450MP4 GPU, and has 802.11 b/g/n wifi. (is not having 802.11 ac Wifi part of the problem?).

I'm happy to buy a better-suited (second-hand) phone (eg iPhone 7 or Samsung), and I'd really appreciate hearing any suggestions, and what works for you. It won't necessarily have to handle rapid changes in direction or speed, but will need to be reliable.

Also, could the phone be used with out a SIM? Maps could be preloaded at home, and doesn't the phone GPS & WiFi work independent of a phone network?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auster