Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What wind is a no-go for the Anafi

seawolf9844

Reaction score
For you seasoned Flyers out there, at what wind speed do you simply say, it is too windy today?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Idk, it does quite good at winds within the official boundaries. However, it's quite uncomfortable to fly at high winds, because the shot is hard to stabilize with a 2-axis gimbal.

Once, I flew mine at 9-10ms. It did have a grip on it's place, so it's safe.

Reactions: seawolf9844
For me when the wind starts getting up around 15-18 MPH that is my limit as the higher you go you could run into stronger winds or just a gust that could take your Anafi further away if your not careful.

Yeah, about 15 mph is the limit for me, not because the Anafi won't make headway against stronger winds, up to even 25, but because the footage will be useless.Turbulence and terrain are also a big issue above about 15. I don't want no smackdowns! :oops:

Believe it or not, 33 mph wind alert (I've never had this alert before) during a 5 minute flight NE of Glacier Park MT, altitude was 200ft, 500ft up wind. I got the pano shots in .dng of the mountain and fall colors but the Anafi was not happy upon decent.

I didn't think I was going to recover it because it did multiple 360 rotations as it descended. At about 10ft I countered the rotation with left stick to be camera into the wind, then the ANAFI was at 45 degrees coping with the wind as I hit land. It landed fine, game over. It was worth the risk because I go the shots I wanted.

Not sure I would do it again, I was very lucky. BTW, hours later that area got 51 inches of snow.

Take a look at the first 15 seconds of this video. It shows the flags flying around the Flight 800 Memorial while being videoed. I'm estimating about 20mph plus.

Reactions: IronSky1
Always pretty windy out here - flew the unit with gusts between 40-50km/h and it did manage. As soon as I increased height I received warnings on my phone (Freeflight6) warning for strong winds. That certainly helps and I ended the session early. Did you also receive warnings when at Glacier Park MT?

Always pretty windy out here - flew the unit with gusts between 40-50km/h and it did manage. As soon as I increased height I received warnings on my phone (Freeflight6) warning for strong winds. That certainly helps and I ended the session early. Did you also receive warnings when at Glacier Park MT?

Only when I was altitude, although while descending I was not looking at the screen, only at the ANAFI.

User guide say no flight in winds over 50 km/h... Before my latest flight, forecast was 20 km/h with 40 km/h gusts, that's for 10 meters high (standard height for wind forecasts and measures). While flying over 50 meters, I got my first strong wind warrning. Anafi against the wind, 30° maybe 45° pitch rotations were sometimes needed to keep its hovering position...
Back at home, watching the video, surprise... there was no obvious trace of these movements. Looking at the weather data (measurements), wind was a bit stronger than forecasted, with 23 km/h, 44 km/h gusts at 10 meters. Take into account that wind is nearly 20% stronger at 50 meters than at 10 meters. Here is a table/calculator Wind Speed calculator
Another issue is how the wind moves around obstacles, they can slow its speed, but also accelerate it, like when sailing around a cape, wind is often stronger than elsewhere in the same area.
So even with accurate forecast, be more careful in hilly landscape or near high building when the wind is strong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut