Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Which Battery Charger is BEST for Anafi batteries

seawolf9844

Reaction score
I have a new Parrot Anafi. Looked at several YouTubes on (fast) battery chargers. What is best for the life of the batteries? I am not smart enough to determine the answer. Seems there are three ways to charge. Below are models on Amazon for your reference. It seems balancing while charging is a factor. Three charging types are:

1) USB-C connection with Type A on power end. I have mine plugged into my Samsung wall puppy with 2 USB-A connections. Output: DC5V – 2.1A

2) A Cradle type device charging 3 Anafi batteries at once, supposedly simultaneously. Samples found at:

Anbee Multifunctional Battery Charger Hub. Amazon.com: Anbee Multifunctional Battery Charger Hub Compatible with Parrot Anafi Drone, Home Charger & Car Charger 2-in-1: Toys & Games $37.99

Hanatora Battery Charger. Amazon.com: Hanatora Battery Charger (Indoor and in-car) for Parrot Anafi/ANAFI Base/ANAFI Extended/ANAFI FPV/ANAFI Thermal/ANAFI Work,Multi-Function Charging Accessories: Toys & Games $37.99

3) A multi USB device with multiple USB ports. Samples found at:

Hanatora Home and Carge Charge. 6 port. Amazon.com: Hanatora Home and Car Battery Charger 6 Port for Parrot Anafi/Anafi Base/Extended/Anafi FPV/ANAFI Thermal/Work and Skycontroller 3,USB Quick Charge 3.0,4 Batteries Charging Station: Toys & Games $36.99

AmazonBasics 5-port. https://amzn.to/2sq0V5g $29.99

Thanks!!

I went with this one, which is very similar to the Amazon basics: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH8G1SY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adhering to the basic rule that slow charging is better for battery health than fast charging, I stayed away from the fast chargers. There have been reports here of meltdowns: Anbee Battery Charger melted

I've been using the Anker for 8 months now for both Anafi and cellphone without any problems whatever. Since I don't take my Anafi batteries much below 20% ever, they will re-charge in about 80 minutes at most.

They’re lithium ion batteries, so slower charging is better, and only charging them up when you’re about to use them is best.

Stick with USB-c chargers ( or obviously the old style usb to usb-c cable that the anafi came with to charge at usb 1 or usb 2 standard 2 amp or leas ), using usb to charge allows the internal circutry of the battery to decide how much and how long to charge, and for the thermal fuses to cut out charging if it gets too warm in there.

There are battery chargers that you drop the battery in and it charges it directly - they’ll work and might be faster, but this isn’t good for the battery, you want it charged slow and using the balance charge for the individual cells.

Charging it fully and discharging it fully will damage it, but you kind of have to balance that against wanting it to be fully charged before flying. You won’t really get that much extra use / less degradation out of a batter if you, for example, never charged it over 90%.

If you do manage to run the battery down below 20% while flying, it’s a good ide to get it charged back up above 50% as soon as possible ( allowing for a bit of cool down time after flight, of course ).

Excessive heat kills the batteries. Charging them while they’re extremely cold hurts them as well, and you’ll get reduced runtime in the cold, though their internal resistance will warm them up on their own. Cut your runtimes in half when below freezing, and try to keep them warm as long as possible before and after use, like in an inside jacket pocket.

If you’re charging them the day before, top them up to 80% then finish that last twenty just before you’re ready to go flying. Storing them put them away between 50 and 80%. If you leave a charge in them they will, after two weeks, slowly discharge themselves on purpose then go into standby mode.

Big impacts can also damage batteries like this, more than other chemistries. If you crash, be mindful the next time you charge and fly the battery, and don’t use a batter that has swelled up at all, swelling is a sure sign it’s going to short, catch fire and explod if you try to continue using it.

You’ll probably get 100 full flights out of a battery before you notice any degradation. Some guys get more, some less, whether that’s due to usage patterns or quality control from manufacture is anyone’s guess.

Batteries are somewhat expensive, but you end up paying 1-2$ per hour of flying if you just toss it at 50-75 hours of use.

This is the one I am using for a while (6+ months), and it works fine:

I have used/tested this one too, but just for a few charges, and so far it worked fine too:

I went with this one, which is very similar to the Amazon basics: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH8G1SY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adhering to the basic rule that slow charging is better for battery health than fast charging, I stayed away from the fast chargers. There have been reports here of meltdowns: Anbee Battery Charger melted

I've been using the Anker for 8 months now for both Anafi and cellphone without any problems whatever. Since I don't take my Anafi batteries much below 20% ever, they will re-charge in about 80 minutes at most.
What does output mean?: - output1(usb1-4):per-port charging output 5v 3A/9v 2A/12v 1.5A. it looks like there are three levels 3A 2A & 1.5A . This is for the Hanatora Home and Carge Charge. 6 port. Amazon.com: Hanatora Home and Car Battery Charger 6 Port for Parrot Anafi/Anafi Base/Extended/Anafi FPV/ANAFI Thermal/Work and Skycontroller 3,USB Quick Charge 3.0,4 Batteries Charging Station: Toys & Games $36.99

They’re lithium ion batteries, so slower charging is better, and only charging them up when you’re about to use them is best.

Stick with USB-c chargers ( or obviously the old style usb to usb-c cable that the anafi came with to charge at usb 1 or usb 2 standard 2 amp or leas ), using usb to charge allows the internal circutry of the battery to decide how much and how long to charge, and for the thermal fuses to cut out charging if it gets too warm in there.

There are battery chargers that you drop the battery in and it charges it directly - they’ll work and might be faster, but this isn’t good for the battery, you want it charged slow and using the balance charge for the individual cells.

Charging it fully and discharging it fully will damage it, but you kind of have to balance that against wanting it to be fully charged before flying. You won’t really get that much extra use / less degradation out of a batter if you, for example, never charged it over 90%.

If you do manage to run the battery down below 20% while flying, it’s a good ide to get it charged back up above 50% as soon as possible ( allowing for a bit of cool down time after flight, of course ).

Excessive heat kills the batteries. Charging them while they’re extremely cold hurts them as well, and you’ll get reduced runtime in the cold, though their internal resistance will warm them up on their own. Cut your runtimes in half when below freezing, and try to keep them warm as long as possible before and after use, like in an inside jacket pocket.

If you’re charging them the day before, top them up to 80% then finish that last twenty just before you’re ready to go flying. Storing them put them away between 50 and 80%. If you leave a charge in them they will, after two weeks, slowly discharge themselves on purpose then go into standby mode.

Big impacts can also damage batteries like this, more than other chemistries. If you crash, be mindful the next time you charge and fly the battery, and don’t use a batter that has swelled up at all, swelling is a sure sign it’s going to short, catch fire and explod if you try to continue using it.

You’ll probably get 100 full flights out of a battery before you notice any degradation. Some guys get more, some less, whether that’s due to usage patterns or quality control from manufacture is anyone’s guess.

Batteries are somewhat expensive, but you end up paying 1-2$ per hour of flying if you just toss it at 50-75 hours of use.
The Hanatora 6 port seems to use slow charging, but I am not sure. What does this mean for output? It looks like there are three levels 3A 2A & 1.5A . - output1(usb1-4):per-port charging output 5v 3A/9v 2A/12v 1.5A. This is for the Hanatora Home and Carge Charge. 6 port. Amazon.com: Hanatora Home and Car Battery Charger 6 Port for Parrot Anafi/Anafi Base/Extended/Anafi FPV/ANAFI Thermal/Work and Skycontroller 3,USB Quick Charge 3.0,4 Batteries Charging Station: Toys & Games $36.99

They’re saying the four blue ports have qc3.0, which allows it to use the standard usb voltage 5 at 1 amp, or if the device is qc compatible it can connect and request higher amps or higher voltages.

The battery can negotiate with the charger and draw more amps to charge faster, but will always dictate how many amps it draws and use a safe amount, and send power to individual cells so they stay balanced and get used evenly.

It’s funny though - I thought the Anafi batteries were USB-PD, not QC-3.0. USB pd isn’t backwards compatible to QC, ( though QC4 will be ). I thought it would only draw 5v from a qc port, limiting the charge time, but they’re saying it will charge an anafi battery in 105 minutes, like with a usb-c PD charger.

When I look on the parrot site they only mention PD, but that amazon listing is claiming QC3.0 and the faster charge time.

I've been using the drop in battery charge (charges three at a time and there are two usb outlets that allow you to charge your controller and smartphone or tablet at the same time). I haven't had any issues BUT the charger bypasses the smart circuitry in the Anafi batteries so I'm playing test dummy hoping the charger isn't damaging the batteries in any way.

If you want to go the conservative route and be assured you're getting the most out of the smart battery technology use the cables that come with the Anafi and charge the batteries through the smart circuitry.

Reactions: seawolf9844
Just picked up a used Anafi and am unsure if what cables I got are the OEM cables, anyone have pics?

Sent from my Z6201V using Tapatalk

Itt' a pity that we cannot buy anafi accessory like battery charger provided with anafi Work or with anafi thermal directly from Parrot Shop.
They will make lot of money instead of buying some unknown one on amazon

@AugerIn
That was a very helpful message, thank you (and apologies for raising the dead)

I have just purchased my very first drone, a Parrot Anafi.

Currently (day 1) I am using an Apple 12W 5.2V 2.4A charger, but I think I will get this Anker 4port USB from Amazon, with a couple USB A > USB C cables: LINK HERE

I am conscious about L-ion batteries fairing better on slow charges where possible.

Hello to all ParrotPilot members! 👍🍺

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh