Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A lesson in not flying straight lines

Krusty Geeza

Reaction score
Website
alexmausolf.com
1st off a sound warning for you older people that don't do young peoples music! Mute it if you don't enjoy it!
I have rather diverse music tastes, from heavy to rap to classical & all manner of other stuff in between, so my backing tracks are not going to be your traditional music tracks while I am learning to fly, capture & edit, & having fun with those processes.

---------------------------

Learning to fly the Parrot Anafi in amongst the Wool-store's of Port Adelaide on a rather windy & squally day. It's a challenging spot to fly here as it's just steep walls either side, creating a strong wind tunnel effect here. This was captured on the same day as my previous couple of videos, in strong 40+ kph wind conditions, with squalls over 50 kph.

Keeping the Anafi on a perfectly straight path, even though I'm flying in the slowest moving Film Mode proved to be extremely troublesome. It would start off straight, then slowly veer off to one side or the other. I might try a complete prop change-out to see if that assists at all. Considering the strong winds though, it did well, really.

This was the second flight for a day of testing automated video capture & more manual flying. It was captured in 4K at 30 fps, full automatic exposure, HDR, & is using the Natural appearance. I have lightly edited this visually to my flavour of liking.

I am tempted to learn how to straighten all my crooked flying in FCPX, but would rather catch true straight flights in the first place, but that's going to take time to achieve as I learn to fly the Anafi to my best ability.

Hahaha guess who forgot to turn his office speakers down before playing!!!

Great skills work. Not easy flying at all.
I was flying my old quad around at the field in the weekend... with auto-level turned off. It's so much easier flying smoothly when you can bank/tilt the copter and let go of the sticks and it stays in that position until you level it. How i wish I could turn self-level off with the Anafi (Hey Parrot - a "pilot featured button" please...)

You're getting really good at handling that drone. Love the old buildings, they have character.

Looking forward to more.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Great video and great flying. Love the dusty buildings and street. I was going to watch it with the sound off but then i seen the disclaimer :) i used to DJ(played at the Ministy Of Sound in London once!), still have all my gear. not heard a system of a down remix before though :D

Hahaha guess who forgot to turn his office speakers down before playing!!!

Great skills work. Not easy flying at all.
I was flying my old quad around at the field in the weekend... with auto-level turned off. It's so much easier flying smoothly when you can bank/tilt the copter and let go of the sticks and it stays in that position until you level it. How i wish I could turn self-level off with the Anafi (Hey Parrot - a "pilot featured button" please...)
That tune would cop a few looks! :LOL:

I've had to read & re-read that about banking, what with flying being new to me, but I can see how that makes sense actually.

You're getting really good at handling that drone. Love the old buildings, they have character.

Looking forward to more.
I'm not impressed with the flying, still too awkward, but I am getting to understand the boundaries of when to fly if I want still & smooth images. There's a range of older places I have in mind to investigate by drone, I'm looking forward to it.

Great video and great flying. Love the dusty buildings and street. I was going to watch it with the sound off but then i seen the disclaimer :) i used to DJ(played at the Ministy Of Sound in London once!), still have all my gear. not heard a system of a down remix before though :D
Glad you enjoyed it, Rob! The flying has still got a long way to go, but I'm slowly getting there.

Back in the early 90's I used to be a club DJ, using Technics 1200 CD players, they were the only variable speed & cuing CD players of the time, until Denon came on the scene a few years later. I'm amazed at where the technology has gone since then.

I love mashups, even before they were a thing, I would deliberately play the mashed up bits that were the interludes in the old DMC, Ultimix, Hot Tracks, Music Factory remixes, where numerous songs were mangled together, rather than playing the actual track itself. :giggle:

Reactions: ROBANAFI
That tune would cop a few looks! :LOL:

I've had to read & re-read that about banking, what with flying being new to me, but I can see how that makes sense actually.

I'm not impressed with the flying, still too awkward, but I am getting to understand the boundaries of when to fly if I want still & smooth images. There's a range of older places I have in mind to investigate by drone, I'm looking forward to it.

Glad you enjoyed it, Rob! The flying has still got a long way to go, but I'm slowly getting there.

Back in the early 90's I used to be a club DJ, using Technics 1200 CD players, they were the only variable speed & cuing CD players of the time, until Denon came on the scene a few years later. I'm amazed at where the technology has gone since then.

I love mashups, even before they were a thing, I would deliberately play the mashed up bits that were the interludes in the old DMC, Ultimix, Hot Tracks, Music Factory remixes, where numerous songs were mangled together, rather than playing the actual track itself. :giggle:

I'm so old school i had Technics 1210's and about £3,000 of vinyl. Sold the analog/weight for Pioneer CDJ800's with a DJM600. Wish i'd held back on selling the Technics, resale price is ridiculous now!

Reactions: Krusty Geeza

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut