Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi 4K - Rough Stuff Video Noise & Artifact Tests

@Krusty Geeza I was lucky enough to pick up Anafi up in the boxing day sales (899 list price) and jbhifi dropped down to 800 on the day.

www.happysnappers.org.au looks like a great initiative well done!

As you said I am sure you can work around the anafi limitations and still obtain some great footage to work with at a low price point.
I missed the boxing day sales! I got mine just after, literally the week after. I took too long dithering between the Mavic Air & the Anafi... :rolleyes:

Thanks, the Happy Snappers initiative is probably the highlight of my existence so far! It's genuinely helping change peoples lives in the simplest of ways. I love it when simple & cheap grass-roots things are far more effective than the more evolved medical models of treatment! ;)

& yeah, I'll work with the limitations of the Anafi & still help out many local community groups with an end product they can use. :)

I also find it hard to see what you see Alex. If I could see something abnormal, I think it is necessary to see the raw material directly from the camera before it has been re-encoded several times !!!

I added a link to some of the recordings I made last week, testing my new Anafi2. Can you see some strange errors in these recordings?

I also have to say that they are made without ND filters in Auto mode in the NAT position.

And don't let me fly like I do if you don't know what you're doing. Others may say: Don't do what you see at home. ?

You must of course download the files and not see them in the viewer on Dropbox. All 4 clips are 12.3 GB in size.

Hmm, it seems that Dropbox doesn't like the amount of traffic on my account. Therefore, I have moved the files to Google drives instead. Then we have to see what they say !!! ?

Regards, Leif.
@Landbo Leif, I forgot this message from you, I'm so sorry. :oops:

I just had a watch of random parts of your footage & it's there for me too! When you have still frames, it's not obvious, but movement over certain types of things, like large sections of plain colour, such as water, sand or sky show it easily. Also movement over sections that have lots of detail show it too.

Again, it's a known compression issue with H264 files & fortunately, the majority of people never notice it. I guess I'm just blessed! :rolleyes:

My suggestion, don't go looking for it, because it can't be unseen once you spot it! :eek:

I also just checked through the footage I captured from the (original Mk I) Mavic Pro I borrowed last October & it's visible in that too!

@Landbo Leif, I forgot this message from you, I'm so sorry. :oops:

I just had a watch of random parts of your footage & it's there for me too! When you have still frames, it's not obvious, but movement over certain types of things, like large sections of plain colour, such as water, sand or sky show it easily. Also movement over sections that have lots of detail show it too.

Again, it's a known compression issue with H264 files & fortunately, the majority of people never notice it. I guess I'm just blessed! :rolleyes:

My suggestion, don't go looking for it, because it can't be unseen once you spot it! :eek:

I also just checked through the footage I captured from the (original Mk I) Mavic Pro I borrowed last October & it's visible in that too!

Yes I vas also thinking about asking if you hadn't forgotten something. ;)

Do I understand you correctly, when you call H.264 compression artifact for noise ? Because then I can well understand I can't see anything when I sitting and look for color noise in your videos !!!

H.264 compression artifact, you can only try to remove by increasing the video bitrate. It doesn't help to switch to H.265 encoding because it have it too. The only thing that can completely remove it is to shooting in RAW, witch giving some nice huge video files.

And yes, the footage you have from Mavic Pro suffers even more from H.264 compression than Anafi as the bitrate is only 60 Mb/s against Anafis 100 Mb/s.

No you are not the only one to be able to see H.264 compression artifact as I can also easily see them. I just expect it to be inevitable on our hobby equipment.:)

Regards, Leif.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Yes I vas also thinking about asking if you hadn't forgotten something. ;)

Do I understand you correctly, when you call H.264 compression artifact for noise ? Because then I can well understand I can't see anything when I sitting and look for color noise in your videos !!!

H.264 compression artifact, you can only try to remove by increasing the video bitrate. It doesn't help to switch to H.265 encoding because it have it too. The only thing that can completely remove it is to shooting in RAW, witch giving some nice huge video files.

And yes, the footage you have from Mavic Pro suffers even more from H.264 compression than Anafi as the bitrate is only 60 Mb/s against Anafis 100 Mb/s.

No you are not the only one to be able to see H.264 compression artifact as I can also easily see them. I just expect it to be inevitable on our hobby equipment.:)

Regards, Leif.
I've been told that what I am seeing are artifacts, maybe I need to change the title of the thread & the video's!

Apparently if the original recording is in H265 it is better for this, but as you mentioned, also a higher bitrate. Recording in RAW video is ideal, but huge file sizes, like you mentioned. When I finally do upgrade the drone to a better one, I will use the Blackmagic Micro Cinema camera with its 12 Bit Cinema DNG RAW files. Even though it's only 1080, the quality is astounding for the footage I have had some samples of shared with me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian