Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Booster Mod Kit Coming

According to a DM one user got from them on their Facebook page, they are not going to actually do this mod right now because it doesn't work consistently. They might never actually sell it either.

This is what I got from alientech yesterday about any updates.

"Hi, my friend, no we have not any news, I'll give you message when I get news."

they need to atleast enable fcc in countrys that accept the high transmit power not just usa...

It would be nice, then, to have someone in the community who has done this mod on the Anafi and can show us a how-to.

I should have photos up tomorrow at the latest. My internal longer cables arrived for my SC3. I am mounting a Titan 2.4 panel but the process will be the same for any external antenna, just depends whether you want the quick connect terminals or not, order your cables with the bulkhead connection of your choice. Ipex 1.13 to bulkhead connector, I think 10” might do but I ordered 12” to be certain. No soldering required this way.
Will start a new thread.

Reactions: Cipta
I'd be interested to hear other more experienced members thoughts about this. :unsure:

From the video that Dirk linked to his implementation looks quite well laid out. However... I’m always very suspicious of these cheap amplifier boards that people use to increase the power output of their RC controllers. Many of these boards are not intended to be used without additional filtering, both on the input and output stages, and can create more problems than they solve.

I followed a Parrot Disco thread on RC Groups where the same guy was promoting his mod for the SC2. He showed two screen shots from his RF-Explorer handheld analyser (not exactly an accurate measuring device). One screen shot showed the standard output of the SC2 and the second showed the amplified output. What I saw on the second output was a lot of distortion which was a serious cause for concern.

Having an amplifier in the SC3 will at best increase the control range of the Anafi but will have no effect on the all important received video and telemetry.

If an Anafi owner, or any other drone user, feels the need for greater range it is more cost effective and more efficient to look into a an antenna solution as this will work equally well on both the transmitted and received signals.

As an example to prove my point back in my amateur radio days I used to run a maximum of 10 Watts while a friend in the same town used to use in excess of 400Watts. I could hear and be heard by distant stations while my friend just heard noise. The difference between the two of us was that I had invested a few £’s in my antenna system while he had invested £1000’s in an amplifier which he ran into a crap antenna. On the upside his room was warmer than mine.

Regards

Nidge

Sorry, forgot to tell the whole story of my post #26.

The (a bit crazy) guy called Solaris8x86 published a video of his "Anafi antenna mod" he called "Hammerhead" on November 1, 2018:
I think he sold it for a short time on eBay for 179$.

In November he promised to publish and offer the fitting SC3 mod. Now I posted his preview of the SC3 mod in post #26.

Both "kits" (Anafi hammerhead and SC3 mod) together should dramatically extend the range of Anafi.

Nearly everything of his videos and hardware offers is a bit strange, but he made real functioning antenna booster kits for Bebop and Disco.

Last edited:
I should point out that those mods pump out a lot of power, I doubt it is legal in any country. This power is liable to heavily interfere with any other devices in the same band, and raise the noise floor in adjacent bands.

Reactions: Nidge
I just posted a How To on installing external antenna connectors on the controller. I just flew using the 5 dB multiband whip antennas while awaiting the interconnects for the panel antenna. Based on one flight only so far, my range doubled.

Reactions: AnafiPilot
How to on installing external mounts posted here:

My interconnects for the Titan 2.4 Panel are arriving today, so I should have some results up tomorrow.

Sorry, forgot to tell the whole story of my post #26.

The (a bit crazy) guy called Solaris8x86 published a video of his "Anafi antenna mod" he called "Hammerhead" on November 1, 2018:
I think he sold it for a short time on eBay for 179$.

In November he promised to publish and offer the fitting SC3 mod. Now I posted his preview of the SC3 mod in post #26.

Both "kits" (Anafi hammerhead and SC3 mod) together should dramatically extend the range of Anafi.

Nearly everything of his videos and hardware offers is a bit strange, but he made real functioning antenna booster kits for Bebop and Disco.

Does anyone here try this booster???

I am still confuse to buy it cause so many parts you need to buy beside that booster, another part are : - bebbop 2 antenna , - 2 x 18350 Li- ion battery , balance charger...and the last configuration using linux (VI text editor)

I dunno, that looked like a fairly wifi free area, I would love to see what an unmodded Anafi would have done on the same flight path. I have hit more than 3km several times without finding the range limit. It is in the City or
hilly forested areas with tall trees that are a problem. But with my external dual band antennas I seem to get a minimum of 3000’ in the worst scenarios.

I think a baseline is needed to show any improvements ... run a stock anafi on same flightpath, using flightplan ... before (baseline) ... then after (with antenna mod). Probably at least 2 runs of each. And then run in several scenarios ... the typical wifi bubbles everywhere suburban environment, a dense urban environment, then a pure county (no wifi bubbles) scenario.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ritchh