Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi fell out of nowhere (another thread about it I guess)

kaerha

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to Anafi, been using Mavic Pro for 6 months with no probs, but I bought 2nd hand Anafi with 2 batteries. I've reset them and upgraded to the newest firmware (both controller and the drone). I've read some of the threads posted before and I'm aware of the bugs (too late, lol). So what happened was:

I went to the fields, flied for a while and then went up to around 130m height, getting sudden motor cut off message and drone felt off. It hit the grassy and moody ground, no physical damage at all. Battery fell off the drone on the ground (I could see in the phone that it was falling down, and battery was working for a few seconds after drone hit the ground). Turned it on again - it was working, except I couldn't calibrate gimbal - camera/gimbal works, but when you turn the drone - camera rolls and it doesn't finish gimbal check when you turn on the drone. I'll have a look inside, hoping it's just a loose connector or something like that. But what I'd like to learn is - how to fix the motor cut off issue as it may end up with something serious obviously. Can I downgrade to 1.6.3 or so? I'm glad it hasn't happen near people, so nothing and no one got hurt. I'm based in Europe if that matters. I have no warranty on it, so I guess I won't have a replacement and so on, but that's secondary to me.

I've attached a log.

Cheers and thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 0914_2020-11-25T082656+0000_626288_0024.json
    449.8 KB · Views: 12
Just a quick update: gimbal is working - it was only a flat ribbon cable plug - I've plugged it in properly and this is fixed. Any ideas on downgrading?

No you cannot downgrade with the Anafi. If you had video on your phone of the Anafi falling then I would say your problem is not related to the battery cut off some have experienced. Since you got a motor cut off message I would be more concerned with a bad motor or perhaps the ESC for that motor is bad. Or maybe just a bad connection to that motor. I would check that first.

No you cannot downgrade with the Anafi. If you had video on your phone of the Anafi falling then I would say your problem is not related to the battery cut off some have experienced. Since you got a motor cut off message I would be more concerned with a bad motor or perhaps the ESC for that motor is bad. Or maybe just a bad connection to that motor. I would check that first.
Thank you Agustine. Battery was @ 68%. Just thought: Environment temp was around 3-6 deg C (37-42 deg F), may it be a factor? Also - how does typically these motors feel touch-wise? Mavic one are quite smooth, the one my Parrot has have a clear "steps" and resist a little (doesn't feel abnormal to me) when turning by hand, also - they start and test properly when turning on. Another thing that comes to my mind - is obviously something hit it, alert state says 2 (Anafi shut down, cut out, if something hit the propeller). I haven't seen anything though.

The Anafi motors do have the step\notch feel to them. So that is normal. It is possible it did hit something but it would have to be something of a good size I would think. I have plenty of bug guts on my Anafi in the summer time and never had a motor shut off because of it. I would do a few controlled flights low to the ground to see if it happens again before venturing out farther.

A fall from that altitude with no damage - your lucky day!
make sure you double check the props as they can develop hairline fractures near hub
were you recording video during the incident?

The Anafi motors do have the step\notch feel to them. So that is normal. It is possible it did hit something but it would have to be something of a good size I would think. I have plenty of bug guts on my Anafi in the summer time and never had a motor shut off because of it. I would do a few controlled flights low to the ground to see if it happens again before venturing out farther.
That's what I'll do, I'm actually surprised that Parrot survived anyway with actually no harm :O I'm pretty sure that Mavic would have destroyed if that happened to it. Thank you for all your advice and will keep you posted. Cheers, Martin.

A fall from that altitude with no damage - your lucky day!
make sure you double check the props as they can develop hairline fractures near hub
were you recording video during the incident?
Nope, I wasn't, I was heading to take photos ;) I'm mostly photographer so didn't think of video even though it has an option to record from take off.
Another idea - foggy day, was flying through fog beforehand, so it may have had some moist on its motors? I'm just guessing here.

Nope, I wasn't, I was heading to take photos ;) I'm mostly photographer so didn't think of video even though it has an option to record from take off.
Another idea - foggy day, was flying through fog beforehand, so it may have had some moist on its motors? I'm just guessing here.
Well good luck and welcome to the forum
A lot of folks here use screen recorder for phone / tablet to assist with troubleshooting

I definitely wouldn't recommend flying through fog. It could have something to do with it if you got enough moisture in one of the motors to cause a fault or a short. It's a long shot, but possible. ANAFIs aren't very rugged and suffer quickly if you get sand, dirt, or water in the motors. You are super lucky that it still functions after a 130m free fall!

Just a quick update: gimbal is working - it was only a flat ribbon cable plug - I've plugged it in properly and this is fixed. Any ideas on downgrading?
Hi Kaery, where did you find this plug? Did you had to disassemble the drone to get to it?
Amazing that everything is still working! Mine felt out of the air at 3 meters on sand ground and the gimble bracket is bend. Did not manage to bend it back yet.

Thx!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut