Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Thermal with Firmware 1.5.6 & 1.5.1

Satdiver

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently received a couple of brand new Anafi Thermal drones at work (US Govt Agency) and they both have FW 1.5.6 on the drones and 1.5.1 on the controllers.

I wanted to ask the forum if we should operate them on the older FW or update to the current 1.6.7/1.6.3? I've searched and read the threads on the 1.5.6/1.5.1 FW and it seems there are mixed reviews on the older versions but there also seems to be an issue with the 1.6.7 in the case of recent posts of the Anafi Thermal dropping out of the sky on 1.6.7.

I know there is a battery update as well but it won't install unless we upgrade to the recent FW.

I personally own a standard Anafi that's using the most current firmware versions and has been operating fine but wanted to check on the Thermals since they still had the older versions loaded.

Any suggestions or input is welcome!

Thank you,
Todd

Hello,

I've had my thermal for almost 1 year now. No MAJOR issues or problems as of yet. It seems some of our other pilots here have had issues with their aircraft. I am on around 30-40 flights and only faced one situation where my camera would go through its motions and I would continuously get a "Camera Needs Calibration" error and my camera Icon on my display would be red. I would fly the aircraft and the camera would function perfectly though. That was with software version 1.6.3.

It was a while before Parrot released software 1.6.4. Once they did, I installed it and the camera error went away and the aircraft has been flying flawlessly since. (Oct 2019) I have been prompted by the app, but have not updated to 1.6.5 or 1.6.7 because it seems several others are having issues with those updates and aircraft are failing.

I feel "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" at the moment and will not update unless ABSOLUTELY needed.

I'm using
Freeflight App v 6.6.4
Skycontroller v 1.6.2
Anafi Thermal v 1.6.4
Hardware version HW_02

I'm using an iPhone 8s or at times an iPad Mini 3.

I have not been prompted as of yet by the app to "update" my batteries. I see others have posted this but not sure on the procedure in which they did this.

My aircraft was #180 out of the batch when released. I don't know if that may have anything to do with it, but just trying to provide you with as much info as I can give. Good luck and hope you get good work out of it. I have not been disappointed yet.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've had my thermal for almost 1 year now. No MAJOR issues or problems as of yet. It seems some of our other pilots here have had issues with their aircraft. I am on around 30-40 flights and only faced one situation where my camera would go through its motions and I would continuously get a "Camera Needs Calibration" error and my camera Icon on my display would be red. I would fly the aircraft and the camera would function perfectly though. That was with software version 1.6.3.

It was a while before Parrot released software 1.6.4. Once they did, I installed it and the camera error went away and the aircraft has been flying flawlessly since. (Oct 2019) I have been prompted by the app, but have not updated to 1.6.5 or 1.6.7 because it seems several others are having issues with those updates and aircraft are failing.

I feel "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" at the moment and will not update unless ABSOLUTELY needed.

I'm using
Freeflight App v 6.6.4
Skycontroller v 1.6.2
Anafi Thermal v 1.6.4
Hardware version HW_02

I'm using an iPhone 8s or at times an iPad Mini 3.

I have not been prompted as of yet by the app to "update" my batteries. I see others have posted this but not sure on the procedure in which they did this.

My aircraft was #180 out of the batch when released. I don't know if that may have anything to do with it, but just trying to provide you with as much info as I can give. Good luck and hope you get good work out of it. I have not been disappointed yet.
Do not upgrade the batteries !!!!!
Those who have done so are falling from the sky!
Parrot also acknowledged that an error had occurred and canceled the battery update and postponed it until later.
Read Anafi's posts (not just Thermal)!

Do not upgrade the batteries !!!!!
Those who have done so are falling from the sky!
Parrot also acknowledged that an error had occurred and canceled the battery update and postponed it until later.
Read Anafi's posts (not just Thermal)!

Thank you for the reply- I have read the other posts in the Anafi section as well. All of the different firmware issues across the two platforms is what led me to post the thread and ask the questions. I did all the updates to my personal Anafi standard and three batteries and haven't had any issues yet but wanted to ask about the Thermals due to the number of recent incidents that have been posted with them.

So you believe that it is just the battery update that is causing these issues? What's your opinion on updating just the drone & controller and leaving the batteries on the original firmware?

Thank you for your assistance!

Agreed @Gipsz Jakab and @d95gas . I won't be updating anytime soon! Thanks. @Satdiver , I will say 1.6.3 is what gave me my constant "camera calibration required" warning. I calibrated the camera numerous times (at least 10) and it wouldn't go away until I updated to 1.6.4. (which DID NOT include a battery update). Since then it's been solid. I'm staying 1.6.4 for a while..lol..

Reactions: Satdiver
Agreed @Gipsz Jakab and @d95gas . I won't be updating anytime soon! Thanks. @Satdiver , I will say 1.6.3 is what gave me my constant "camera calibration required" warning. I calibrated the camera numerous times (at least 10) and it wouldn't go away until I updated to 1.6.4. (which DID NOT include a battery update). Since then it's been solid. I'm staying 1.6.4 for a while..lol..

I appreciate the replies. There isn’t a way to update to any firmware version other than the latest 1.6.7 is there? If there is, please let me know!

When I power up the drone, it shows the little green update box and has the1.6.7 in it. There are some features of 1.6.4 that we’d like to be able to use but if it will only update to 1.6.7, then we’ll have to stay at the 1.5.6 until they get this fixed!

thanks again..

Unfortunately at the current time there is no known way to be selective in what you update to. I think various methods have been tried without success. 1.5.6 is pretty old, and in an ideal world 1.6.3 would be good to jump to, but unfortunately no go with that. I would say if you are happy where you are for the moment, stay there until the next release and see what that brings.

On the other hand if you are really unhappy on 1.5.6 then you will have to jump to the latest, and if you do that, dont update the batteries.

Unfortunately not a lot of choice at the moment.

Hello,

I recently received a couple of brand new Anafi Thermal drones at work (US Govt Agency) and they both have FW 1.5.6 on the drones and 1.5.1 on the controllers.

I wanted to ask the forum if we should operate them on the older FW or update to the current 1.6.7/1.6.3? I've searched and read the threads on the 1.5.6/1.5.1 FW and it seems there are mixed reviews on the older versions but there also seems to be an issue with the 1.6.7 in the case of recent posts of the Anafi Thermal dropping out of the sky on 1.6.7.

I know there is a battery update as well but it won't install unless we upgrade to the recent FW.

I personally own a standard Anafi that's using the most current firmware versions and has been operating fine but wanted to check on the Thermals since they still had the older versions loaded.

Any suggestions or input is welcome!

Thank you,
Todd
You can check my signature for my Anafi Thermal version. Until this day I have found no issues. But i did not update the battery as i feel this as the the suspect for the maiden falls from the sky

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking