Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another Anafi Drops from the Sky......Update

Crash Report Anafi Thermal s/n F0011246

Hardware Version 02

Software Version 1.6.7

Skycontroller3 s/n P1040443DA9E142137

Hardware Version 4

Software Version 1.6.3

RPIC: (FAA Part 107, AUVSI TOPS)

Aircraft had been flown in film and sport and race modes on the first flight for 22 minutes 53 seconds with a test of auto land feature. The first flight began at 15:54Z. After the first flight, aircraft battery C8K311262 was removed and battery C8K311252 installed for a second flight. Aircraft pre-flight completed with no visible problems, Galaxy S9 device set to airplane mode. Aircraft properly connected to Skycontroller 3 with good GPS position reference. Geofence set to 984 feet lateral, 98 feet vertical, RTH altitude set to 98 feet. Aircraft launched at 1621Z with auto take-off feature used. Controllability check completed with no notable problems. Video auto-record feature used for 2 seconds and then manually disabled to save SD card video space. Aircraft launched in race mode to the edge of the geofence (distance of 984 ft) at an altitude of approximately 50 feet. Aircraft stopped and then yaw turned 180 degrees to return to RPIC. A climb to roughly 75 feet was established for the return leg. The FPV picture clearly showed the aircraft location and location of RPIC in the distance. Aircraft FPV view remained live for approximately 3 seconds on the return leg of flight before the picture froze. RPIC had visual on aircraft that continued to fly towards RPIC/landing zone at roughly 78 feet AGL when the aircraft abruptly departed controlled flight at 16:22:50Z, position 37-45’XX.84”N 80-35’XX.8”W. Aircraft tumbled end over end in a direct downward motion with no change made to the fligh control inputs. Skycontroller positions at time of controlled flight departure were:

Side to Side lateral control: neutral

Up/Down control: neutral

Yaw control: neutral

Forward/Back lateral control: forward ¾ (last recorded speed was 32 ft/s = 35 km/h). Max published aircraft speed is 55 km/h

Race mode settings at default with Global reactivity 30%, Gimbal setting/ dynamic, Camera tilt 20 deg /s, Banked turn/yes, Inclination 25 deg, Vertical speed 9.8 ft/s, Rotation speed 40 deg/s.

Controller battery 79%, Aircraft battery 89% (upon post-crash investigation)

Weather Conditions reported at airport 12 miles away at 1435Z: 25006KT, 10SM, SKC 05/M04 A3006 with TAF expected to be roughly the same for the next several hours.

Aircraft located at the crash site in an upside-down location with left front motor arm broken, upper arm center portion missing and not recovered. Aircraft rotors were stopped, but aircraft still making noise and battery pack still lighted. RPIC tried to shut-down aircraft by pressing battery power on 3 occasions. Aircraft would not respond. Aircraft shut-down was forced by removing the battery.

Post-crash investigation:

• Witness marks on broken motor arm showed signs of dirt grass on all sections of the break except for the forward lower section of the break. Arm still in the extended position. And showing dirt on the aft side of the arm along the full length and a few small smudges of dirt on the main body near the motor arm connecting point. It appears the aircraft impacted on a 90degree left roll orientation (left forward arm first) then rotated on its side to collapse the left rear arm into the stowed position.
  • The left rear motor arm folded completely to the body. No dirt or grass marks visible on arm.
  • Motor wires still connected, motor holding housing partially separated at the motor location. Center section of the upper arm missing with no luck locating at the crash site.
  • Payload rubber insulators fully extended and payload retaining arm on the right side dislodged.
  • Visible grass staining on top of white camera housing indicating the crash orientation. There appears to be slight delamination to the right side of the camera lens.
  • My Parrot app recorded flight details for 1 minute 34 seconds, recorded the last known position from the aircraft page and showed “no crash” on the summary page. The aircraft page shows the Flightcontroller radio wave indicator pointing Northeast (away from the aircraft 90 degrees), but the controller was oriented towards the aircraft at all times. Flight altitude was 78 feet, speed, 32 fps at time flight data recording was lost.
Additional data:

• The crash may have been caused by a controller disconnect which appears to be the case due to a frozen picture in the FPV view when aircraft had already covered over 200 feet towards RPIC/home point.
  • Skycontroller seems to show loss of radio signal due to controller orientation to aircraft as shown on the Freeflight 6 homepage under the aircraft icon. This was not the case. The disconnect was due to some other factor.
  • High flight angle with a very strong tailwind could have caused a severe nose over condition and loss of control, but tailwinds were roughly 4-6 kts with a few small gusts. This is not a likely cause.
  • High tension power lines and radio interference: Closest cell phone tower is over 1 mile away. Closest power lines were 400 feet away, but only a small single-phase distribution line. Numerous flights have been performed in this area previously with no problems.
  • This is not the first time this aircraft has disconnected during flight using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ device. In every other situation, the aircraft came to a stable hover until a connection could be re-established. According to numerous posts, a disconnect has been very problematic and the Parrot engineering team is aware of the problem. I was hoping the most recent firmware updates included a fix. The Samsung S9 family is listed on Parrot’s web site as a compatible device.

Last edited:
Crash Report Anafi Thermal s/n F0011246

Hardware Version 02

Software Version 1.6.7

Skycontroller3 s/n P1040443DA9E142137

Hardware Version 4

Software Version 1.6.3

RPIC: (FAA Part 107, AUVSI TOPS)

Aircraft had been flown in film and sport and race modes on the first flight for 22 minutes 53 seconds with a test of auto land feature. The first flight began at 15:54Z. After the first flight, aircraft battery C8K311262 was removed and battery C8K311252 installed for a second flight. Aircraft pre-flight completed with no visible problems, Galaxy S9 device set to airplane mode. Aircraft properly connected to Skycontroller 3 with good GPS position reference. Geofence set to 984 feet lateral, 98 feet vertical, RTH altitude set to 98 feet. Aircraft launched at 1621Z with auto take-off feature used. Controllability check completed with no notable problems. Video auto-record feature used for 2 seconds and then manually disabled to save SD card video space. Aircraft launched in race mode to the edge of the geofence (distance of 984 ft) at an altitude of approximately 50 feet. Aircraft stopped and then yaw turned 180 degrees to return to RPIC. A climb to roughly 75 feet was established for the return leg. The FPV picture clearly showed the aircraft location and location of RPIC in the distance. Aircraft FPV view remained live for approximately 3 seconds on the return leg of flight before the picture froze. RPIC had visual on aircraft that continued to fly towards RPIC/landing zone at roughly 78 feet AGL when the aircraft abruptly departed controlled flight at 16:22:50Z, position 37-45’59.84”N 80-35’10.8”W. Aircraft tumbled end over end in a direct downward motion with no change made to the fligh control inputs. Skycontroller positions at time of controlled flight departure were:

Side to Side lateral control: neutral

Up/Down control: neutral

Yaw control: neutral

Forward/Back lateral control: forward ¾ (last recorded speed was 32 ft/s = 35 km/h). Max published aircraft speed is 55 km/h

Race mode settings at default with Global reactivity 30%, Gimbal setting/ dynamic, Camera tilt 20 deg /s, Banked turn/yes, Inclination 25 deg, Vertical speed 9.8 ft/s, Rotation speed 40 deg/s.

Controller battery 79%, Aircraft battery 89% (upon post-crash investigation)

Weather Conditions reported at airport 12 miles away at 1435Z: 25006KT, 10SM, SKC 05/M04 A3006 with TAF expected to be roughly the same for the next several hours.

Aircraft located at the crash site in an upside-down location with left front motor arm broken, upper arm center portion missing and not recovered. Aircraft rotors were stopped, but aircraft still making noise and battery pack still lighted. RPIC tried to shut-down aircraft by pressing battery power on 3 occasions. Aircraft would not respond. Aircraft shut-down was forced by removing the battery.

Post-crash investigation:

• Witness marks on broken motor arm showed signs of dirt grass on all sections of the break except for the forward lower section of the break. Arm still in the extended position. And showing dirt on the aft side of the arm along the full length and a few small smudges of dirt on the main body near the motor arm connecting point. It appears the aircraft impacted on a 90degree left roll orientation (left forward arm first) then rotated on its side to collapse the left rear arm into the stowed position.
  • The left rear motor arm folded completely to the body. No dirt or grass singes visible on arm.
  • Motor wires still connected, motor holding housing partially separated at the motor location. Center section of the upper arm missing with no luck locating at the crash site.
  • Payload rubber insulators fully extended and payload retaining arm on the right side dislodged.
  • Visible grass staining on top of white camera housing indicating the crash orientation. There appears to be slight delamination to the right side of the camera lens.
  • My Parrot app recorded flight details for 1 minute 34 seconds, recorded the last known position from the aircraft page and showed “no crash” on the summary page. The aircraft page shows the Flightcontroller radio wave indicator pointing Northeast (away from the aircraft 90 degrees), but the controller was oriented towards the aircraft at all times. Flight altitude was 78 feet, speed, 32 fps at time flight data recording was lost.
Additional data:

• The crash may have been caused by a controller disconnect which appears to be the case due to a frozen picture in the FPV view when aircraft had already covered over 200 feet towards RPIC/home point.
  • Skycontroller seems to show loss of radio signal due to controller orientation to aircraft as shown on the Freeflight 6 homepage under the aircraft icon. This was not the case. The disconnect was due to some other factor.
  • High flight angle with a very strong tailwind could have caused a severe nose over condition and loss of control, but tailwinds were roughly 4-6 kts with a few small gusts. This is not a likely cause.
  • High tension power lines and radio interference: Closest cell phone tower is over 1 mile away. Closest power lines were 400 feet away, but only a small single-phase distribution line. Numerous flights have been performed in this area previously with no problems.
  • This is not the first time this aircraft has disconnected during flight using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ device. In every other situation, the aircraft came to a stable hover until a connection could be re-established. According to numerous posts, a disconnect has been very problematic and the Parrot engineering team is aware of the problem. I was hoping the most recent firmware updates included a fix. The Samsung S9 family is listed on Parrot’s web site as a compatible device.

This is the best written post on this entire forum!
Sorry for the crash, but really informative and detailed. I am sure if you contact Parrot they will be able to assist you

Reactions: Gundamx9x1
Ok, is this the second sudden disconnect and crash on 1.6.7? I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is truly fixed. By the way, my Anafi was lost in action two days ago. I sent it on the long flight plan I always do but it never returned. I've already ordered a refirb from Amazon for $415.

Ok, is this the second sudden disconnect and crash on 1.6.7? I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is truly fixed. By the way, my Anafi was lost in action two days ago. I sent it on the long flight plan I always do but it never returned. I've already ordered a refirb from Amazon for $415.

Don't forget to check the Anafi Thermal section if you are doing a tally of 1.6.7 sudden power loss crashes. I have one there. Feel free to read and share my pain! LOL.

Hello to all of you.

I just explained in another post what happened to me today with my parrot anafi, I was trying to make a video from a construction we are doing, like I did other times. But this time the parrot suddenly fell from the sky. I started with the battery at 100% and a very good GPS signal, but after more or less 1 minute flying the image on the phone get freeze, and the I heard a crash. This was My lovely parrot. And now I have no more Parrot. I explained my case to the shop where I bought it, I mean that this is a software fail and should be covered with the warranty. I'll see wat they answer me.
I hope they have me a solution, the drone is not cheap.

Sorry to hear that Stanyetter. My renewed Anafi fell out of the sky today too. It's almost like they have the Corona virus. Parrot should take care of you if you jump through all their hoops.

Greetings fellow pilots! My apologies for my absence from this topic over recent weeks. However, I have good news to report. I received my replacement Anafi and control a little over a week ago. It was boxed as new and appears to be new. Rather than rush to put the bird up I waited until I had time to talk with support about any and all considerations be fore flying. I performed all available firmware updates to the application, drone, and control. I saw nothing about the battery firmware update. I called support and went over all the updates. I have 6.6.8 on the application and 1.6.7 on the drone and control. Support emailed me instructions on how to upgrade the battery firmware however these recommendations were for older firmware updates such as 6.6.6 for the app and 1.6.5 for the drone. The instructions said that these updates must be made in order for the battery update to appear. I had no intentions of retrograding the firmware so I called support again. The tech is investigating the issue but also suggested that the latest firmware may have upgraded batteries without notice. (???) Meanwhile I asked if I would be violating any Parrot recommendations by flying without the battery upgrade. I was cleared to fly. I spent most of my day today flying the Parrot without a single issue. I'm very pleased with Parrot support for making the replacement and I'm hopeful that I have no further incidents such as the one that led to my crash. I'm very happy to have the Anafi as a valuable part of my fleet once more.

This is the best written post on this entire forum!
Sorry for the crash, but really informative and detailed. I am sure if you contact Parrot they will be able to assist you
Glad to hear!

May I ask - did they actually ship you a return label or was it a printable one through e-mail? I ask because they said they would send me a return label and I just want to know if I should keep an eye out on my spam folder or my mail room. Thanks!
Hello Lemieszek, yes they sent me a printable label via email. it seems like it took about three weeks for the replacement to arrive.

Reactions: lemieszek
This is really to much parrots to falling down these days. Can we send some group mail and ask them to do something about it as soon as posible, because probably software problem.
I'm sorry for your Anafi, hope that they sent you replace, my was fall yeterday same situation, picture just froze and it says not connected, neares power line it was more than 100m but still...

This is really to much parrots to falling down these days. Can we send some group mail and ask them to do something about it as soon as posible, because probably software problem.
I'm sorry for your Anafi, hope that they sent you replace, my was fall yeterday same situation, picture just froze and it says not connected, neares power line it was more than 100m but still...
Yes, I'm sorry to hear about your crash. I'm now running 1.6.7 on the new replacement with no battery updates. They have escalated my case concerning the updates. Meanwhile they say it is safe to fly the drone. So far, no issues.

Yes, I'm sorry to hear about your crash. I'm now running 1.6.7 on the new replacement with no battery updates. They have escalated my case concerning the updates. Meanwhile they say it is safe to fly the drone. So far, no issues.

My Anafi was updated to 1.6.7 and the batteries had already been updated when I did 1.6.5. I did not want to update to either since I had read about people having the loss connection, frozen screen drop like a rock problem. But the warranty states that you should use the newest firmware so against my gut feeling I did all updates. My story does not end so well.

I am kinda concerned that the tech would think the "batteries updated without notice". I do not see how that is possible, as each battery would have to be in the drone and the drone can't be flying. It makes you think that the techs on the phone are not 100% certain on things which to me is very concerning.

Just wanted to give a status update if anyone is interested: Support was very prompt to get back to me initially and I supplied all of the data they requested (details of the incident, log file, photos) and I was informed that I should have an update within 2-3 days. Assuming things might be slower than normal due to the present state of the world I waited about a week after not hearing anything by email and called their support #. I was told that the case had been sent to "headquarters" for review but they should have an update within 48 hours. After not hearing anything after several more days I called again and they had not heard anything back from HQ but expected an update shortly. That was on the 14th. Haven't heard anything since. I noticed that there's at least one other thread here reporting a very similar issue so I'm assuming maybe they are getting slammed with support cases on this? I hope this gets resolved soon. I bought a Mavic Mini and, based on my limited use so far, it's not a worthy replacement option for my Anafi.

Just wanted to give a status update if anyone is interested: Support was very prompt to get back to me initially and I supplied all of the data they requested (details of the incident, log file, photos) and I was informed that I should have an update within 2-3 days. Assuming things might be slower than normal due to the present state of the world I waited about a week after not hearing anything by email and called their support #. I was told that the case had been sent to "headquarters" for review but they should have an update within 48 hours. After not hearing anything after several more days I called again and they had not heard anything back from HQ but expected an update shortly. That was on the 14th. Haven't heard anything since. I noticed that there's at least one other thread here reporting a very similar issue so I'm assuming maybe they are getting slammed with support cases on this? I hope this gets resolved soon. I bought a Mavic Mini and, based on my limited use so far, it's not a worthy replacement option for my Anafi.

I also am awaiting further instructions on my case which is in the Anafi Thermal section. I called at first to generate a support ticket. I immediately got a Support ticket and had to return a Crash questions email which I did within 24 hours. They wanted a Flight Log of the incident. This is where I ran into trouble. My Anafi lost all power and fell 325 feet. It will not power on any more so there is and will be no Flight Log for the flight until it can power on again. I was told that they would not honor the warranty since I could not get a Flight Log to show. I emailed them back and stated that they of all people should know that if my version of events is true that there would be no Flight Log. I was able to get the .TMP file of the video it was filming at the time of the crash and 'recover it'. It shows the Anafi hovering and filming then cuts out so it too supports my version of events. I did send them a link to this recovered video. I also offered to email or have them download the unfinished Flight Log stored on my Device (I provided them a link to the full contents of the SD card which is stored on my Google Drive). I have since not received any further response and that was on April 16.

I am currently awaiting their response.

My other Anafi has been grounded as I have lost faith in the safety of using it. With the new firmware 1.6.7 this Anafi while under the control of Pix4D had issues also which have a current Support Ticket. (Unexpected forced landings, pictures being taken while in RTH and not generating Flight Logs for several flights). I have lost my thermal and mapping solutions. I was forced to buy a Phantom 4 Pro V2 so I can at least continue with my mapping projects that have been scheduled.

I also am awaiting further instructions on my case which is in the Anafi Thermal section. I called at first to generate a support ticket. I immediately got a Support ticket and had to return a Crash questions email which I did within 24 hours. They wanted a Flight Log of the incident. This is where I ran into trouble. My Anafi lost all power and fell 325 feet. It will not power on any more so there is and will be no Flight Log for the flight until it can power on again. I was told that they would not honor the warranty since I could not get a Flight Log to show. I emailed them back and stated that they of all people should know that if my version of events is true that there would be no Flight Log. I was able to get the .TMP file of the video it was filming at the time of the crash and 'recover it'. It shows the Anafi hovering and filming then cuts out so it too supports my version of events. I did send them a link to this recovered video. I also offered to email or have them download the unfinished Flight Log stored on my Device (I provided them a link to the full contents of the SD card which is stored on my Google Drive). I have since not received any further response and that was on April 16.

I am currently awaiting their response.

My other Anafi has been grounded as I have lost faith in the safety of using it. With the new firmware 1.6.7 this Anafi while under the control of Pix4D had issues also which have a current Support Ticket. (Unexpected forced landings, pictures being taken while in RTH and not generating Flight Logs for several flights). I have lost my thermal and mapping solutions. I was forced to buy a Phantom 4 Pro V2 so I can at least continue with my mapping projects that have been scheduled.

My Anafi was about six weeks out of warranty when it crashed so I really have no idea if they are going to try and wash their hands of it that way. But I'd really like to just get some kind of answer as the camera issue that I'm having seems like it is a pretty straightforward fix and I assume that they will eventually get the firmware patched so it will be safe to fly again. I just don't want to start taking it apart (or paying to have it done) in case I need to return it to Parrot.

Hello! I've been trying to narrow down the problems as I too have an anafi and since it was a used gift I do not have the luxury of just flying and if it crashes warranty it out so I have spent hours researching and have narrowed the problems down to 2 1 is the battery which just causes it to free fall all of a sudden with no warning but it seams that the problem many are having is software related as many report sudden loss of control response and then it either "tries to land" at almost feefell speed or it just cuts off the power to the motors but one part of the equation which I am trying to solve is that it appears most problems are occuring with pilots using Android? As I see the rating in the play store very low about a 3.7 while the iOS or apple version has a rating of 4.7! Almost perfect but if anyone can chime in that would be much appreciated as I have experienced 3 "free falls/losses of controls" since beginning to fly..I am running everything up to the latest version set to channel 165 phone in airplane mode and within visual line of sight so there is absolutely no reason for connection issues I even scan the area with a wifi analyzer to confirm no interference so it is either the software or a sensor which is failing "probably also due to software" in either case I would like to confirm this issue is more common or hopefully exclusive to Android as it would be great if the fix is to just use an iPhone

And also when I lose control it starts to ascend on its own once reaching "and falling" from 300' I wonder if anyone else experienced this? And to top it off I made the observation that the elevation shown is usually off by a few feet so this could add/be a problem because as suggested it appears to have a logic problem so possibly there is a conflict with the barometer and something else? Which in an attempt to "find the correct altitude" it either ascends or free falls...p.s. I caught it mid air on two occasions so it's still the same one and I will be testing it whenever possible as to help solve this issue as this drone would outperform most other drones in all aspects were it not for this issue

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar