Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bebop 2 Camera and Lens

Ian2112

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I upgraded to an Anafi recently after using the Bebop 2 for a year. The Bebop 2 camera was never sharp so once the Anafi arrived I watched various How To vids on Youtube and
removed the front lens. My intention was to re focus the lens but the depth of focus is incredibly small and I have found the job of getting a decent focus completely hit and miss.

So now I am looking at either a complete camera replacement or wondering if in the process of trying to refocus the lens whether there is actually a better quality lens available?

So my questions are - the replacement camera is available from Parrot in the UK for £149. This seems incredibly expensive, does anyone know whether the typical faults of the original camera (thermal focus shift etc) have been corrected in this camera?

and secondly does anyone have recommendation for a replacement lens that will go straight on rather than need removing by diamond cutting the actual lens out of its housing?

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I upgraded to an Anafi recently after using the Bebop 2 for a year. The Bebop 2 camera was never sharp so once the Anafi arrived I watched various How To vids on Youtube and
removed the front lens. My intention was to re focus the lens but the depth of focus is incredibly small and I have found the job of getting a decent focus completely hit and miss.

So now I am looking at either a complete camera replacement or wondering if in the process of trying to refocus the lens whether there is actually a better quality lens available?

So my questions are - the replacement camera is available from Parrot in the UK for £149. This seems incredibly expensive, does anyone know whether the typical faults of the original camera (thermal focus shift etc) have been corrected in this camera?

and secondly does anyone have recommendation for a replacement lens that will go straight on rather than need removing by diamond cutting the actual lens out of its housing?

Thanks
Hello,

Sorry to hear of your Bebop 2 cameras lens issue, this happens usually from a direct crash to lens. This pushes in the preglued front lens sleeve knocking it out of focus, this can be re-adjusted.

Instead of removing the front lens, you’ll need to remove the lens sleeve attachment that slides in/out. Slowly slide in/out until it’s focused, a dab of epoxy should keep it in place.

By the way, Bebop 1 and Bebop 2 Cameras are in changeable. Not the camera frame, just complete cameras are.

Hope this helps,
Paul

0578312F-F58F-46E8-BE05-5BC008404A9A.jpeg

Thanks Paul. In fact I have removed the whole lens sleeve attachment as shown in your image.

I am just finding it difficult to adjust the lens to get best focus as the depth of focus is so narrow and there does not appear to be a way to precisely adjust the position of the lens. I had to wrap tape around the lens barrell to get it seated back inside the sleeve.

I will persevere as it does snap into focus at one point, its just keeping it there thats the hard bit.

Thanks Paul. In fact I have removed the whole lens sleeve attachment as shown in your image.

I am just finding it difficult to adjust the lens to get best focus as the depth of focus is so narrow and there does not appear to be a way to precisely adjust the position of the lens. I had to wrap tape around the lens barrell to get it seated back inside the sleeve.

I will persevere as it does snap into focus at one point, its just keeping it there thats the hard bit.
Hello,

So true, getting that camera sleeve adjusted properly to precise position is tough. Sometimes takes a few flights or so to get the sleeve just right, stay at it you’ll eventually get it set right.

Eventually, you may need to replace the camera if it’s damaged further.

Usually, I’ll order a Bebop 2 power camera from eBay for about $100.00 when I need a replacement, they are the latest Bebop 2 Camera.

Good luck, hope all works out.

Paul

After spending ages getting the original lens focussed and bonded into place I then found after very close scrutiny that it was decentered and the images it gave were slightly blurry in two of the four corners.

I gave up at this point admitted defeat and bought a new camera. The new camera is nice and sharp and better than the original ever was. Shame it was so expensive.

Reactions: yarres
Hello,

Sorry to hear of your Bebop 2 cameras lens issue, this happens usually from a direct crash to lens. This pushes in the preglued front lens sleeve knocking it out of focus, this can be re-adjusted.

Instead of removing the front lens, you’ll need to remove the lens sleeve attachment that slides in/out. Slowly slide in/out until it’s focused, a dab of epoxy should keep it in place.

By the way, Bebop 1 and Bebop 2 Cameras are in changeable. Not the camera frame, just complete cameras are.

Hope this helps,
Paul

View attachment 2230
How did you separate the backplate from the camera? Mine is glued solid and I was planning on using my drumel to cut it free. Any suggestions appreciated. I need to clean that sensor from water damage. Thanks

I did it the hard way with a sharp knife and chipped away at the glue. Its a messy job and it didn't feel right attacking it like that but there is no other way of removing the lens from its sleeve.

At the end of the day I ended up buying a new camera after I found it very very sensitive to replacing the lens without any decentering and resultant defocus in regions of the image.

After spending ages getting the original lens focussed and bonded into place I then found after very close scrutiny that it was decentered and the images it gave were slightly blurry in two of the four corners.

I gave up at this point admitted defeat and bought a new camera. The new camera is nice and sharp and better than the original ever was. Shame it was so expensive.

I’m glad to hear you purshased a Camera replacement, it’s well worth it’s weigh in gold no more hassles.

In the future, keep your eyes peeled for Bebop 2 deals on eBay, once in a while someone will list one buy it now for a good deal. Usually it’s for a minor issue, and camera is what you’re mainly after.

This weekend, someone listed one minus the battery for $74.58 shipped buy it now feature. Mentions he has no way of testing it but probably thinks it’s needing a battery, camera looked like new to me so I went for it. It arrived today, put on a Battery and updated the drone. Although looks like new, it’s used and only issue was a bad front right motor which I replaced. Flies great, crystal clear video feed.

So keep your eyes peeled, a bargain or two pops up often. Will post this weekends deal, minus battery.

Good luck and enjoy the new camera,
Paul

A22C95FD-C99F-48BD-8993-39947946C004.jpeg

How did you separate the backplate from the camera? Mine is glued solid and I was planning on using my drumel to cut it free. Any suggestions appreciated. I need to clean that sensor from water damage. Thanks

Hello,

I used two pairs of pliers on one occasion, knife and pair of pliers the other time.

Hope all works out for you,
Paul

I did it the hard way with a sharp knife and chipped away at the glue. Its a messy job and it didn't feel right attacking it like that but there is no other way of removing the lens from its sleeve.

At the end of the day I ended up buying a new camera after I found it very very sensitive to replacing the lens without any decentering and resultant defocus in regions of the image.
I got it apart and found the water! Cleaned it out and it seems to be working now. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• 20190624_212302_HDR.jpg
    20190624_212302_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
hi,

from what I understand, I can take the camera out of the bebop1(minus the cage), and put it in bebop 2, and it should work? there's no difference in the quality ?
Hello,

Hope this helps,
Paul

View attachment 2230

hi,

from what I understand, I can take the camera out of the bebop1(minus the cage), and put it in bebop 2, and it should work? there's no difference in the quality ?
Good morning Gravityzero,

Replied to your pm, most definitely a Bebop 1 camera will work with a Bebop 2.

Keep us posted, hopefully all works out well and you get the Bebop 2 back up in the air. Good luck!

Paul

Yes, after refocusing the lens, the photographs showed the two slightly blurry corners. But, I don't want to buy another new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar