Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best Ingest?

OBjuan

Reaction score
I'm hoping for tips and tricks on the best way to go about ingesting/editing/formatting/uploading drone footage?

I often end up just recording my entire flight, or even when I do break up the shots during filming, there are usually several sections of getting the drone oriented that don't make for especially compelling footage. I'm looking for tips on trimming the fat, labeling, and formatting to clean up clips to send to stock footage sites, as well as use in my own projects. It seems like a pretty simple task, but so far I have found most of my dabblings rather cumbersome and overly repetitive.

My ingest fantasy would go something along these lines:
  • Put all of the video clips from a drone filming session on a timeline, name the timeline something relevant like "Rodgers Park" (I don't know a lot about keeping metadata with videoclips (?) but this might be a good time to add keywords that apply to all of the clips)
  • Go through and cut out all the garbage, and label the start of each new clip something helpful like "Tree Orbit" "Pan Left" etc. (Did I mention I don't know a lot about keeping metadata with videoclips (?) but this would also be a good time to label money shots or noteworthy moments in the middle of a clip, and/or add keywords on a clip by clip basis)
  • Press a RENDER or BATCH or whatever button that goes through and writes out each individual clip and names it "Rodgers Park - Tree Orbit" "Rodgers Park - Pan Left" and so on...
  • Ideally this would just be part of the RENDER button, but something to help automate uploading each clip to Pond5 and/or other stock footage sites

So my main questions are:
  • What is a good software to do the edit/labeling in?
    • I have the Adobe Suite (I'm a cg animator by trade) I kind of thought the whole point of Prelude was to do just this kind of stuff, but so far I have found it unintuitive and crappy. I'm open to non Adobe solutions. I'm PC based, but for the sake of all reading this, Mac solutions could be good too.

• What is the best format/compression to convert clips to?
    • Obviously want to keep the quality high, but but preferably not unnecessarily huge file sizes. Keeping metadata like the day it was filmed, as opposed to the day it was processed, would be nice - along with keywords and/or money shot points within the clip

• Tips on automating uploading to Stock Footage sites

Wisdom and battle-scars and helpful tools appreciated...!

There are a number of editing programs that will do what you want. I use Shotcut because it's free and I'm only a short way along the learning curve. It is quite powerful with a lot of features that only higher end editing programs have. It does what I need: transitions, moving clips around the timeline, adding music, titles, etc. and much more. Lots of how to videos for it on the internet. I shoot in 1080p at 24 fps because my laptop won't display anything higher without stutter. Shotcut outputs in *.mp4 format, besides lots of others I have no need for. However, I have never ingested a video....;)

A five minute video runs about 680 Mb, not huge. In 4K, it would be about 1.6 Gigs. On a laptop I can't tell the difference, nor on YouTube. Once I get a higher end graphic workstation, I think it would be obvious, but you have to think about how you are going to distribute your vids. My TV won't show 4K either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJ123456