Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Brand new Anafi, black screen after second boot

LittleM@n

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just bought my Anafi yesterday after waiting for 3 weeks after it, charged batteries, boot it up, update everything, and start to play with it on the floor: calibrate it, calibrate the camera, optimize the settings to what I like, everything seem to be in order; skycontroller was fine, my iPhone SE was not draining the battery too fast, the drone seemed fine. Did not lift it off though, as I was afraid I could hit the walls.
Shut it down, left battery to charge over night.

Pack it up today, took it to an open field near my home to test it. Power it up, and the phone screen was black; thought I forgot the cap on, but the cap was in my hand...
Anyway, I’ve started it from my palm, and moved it around, all seems to be fine beside the camera feed. After 1 minute I observed that actually the button to record is not available either.
Landed it in my hand safely, and got back home.

I reset everything, installed Freeflight 6 on another iPhone8, connected just with the phone, and the screen is still black. I mean when you open the calibrating menu for camera shows a black screen...calibrating the gimbal works with no issues. Yesterday the same menu worked fine, I’ve played with all the settings.

What could be wrong? What am I doing wrong?
This is a brand new drone, I’ve just unsealed it, I can’t believe it’s already dead...

Thank you!

Stupid question, but did you remove the lens cover? If so, try resetting the drone by pressing the power button until it shows red lights. Then try again. If the issue remains, just return it.

Reactions: dashSolo
Yes, of course I did. Although this is exactly how it looks like, like it would have the cover on...

I have reseted it twice, and nothing.

I sooo much would hate to return it, as it’s very light and quiet; and from the youtube films, I really like the footage of it more than the Air. I really don’t want to get down the road of Mavic Air. A mostly unusable DJI Osmo Mobile2 is enough for me (I really don’t get what’s all this hype with the DJIs products...).
The supply of Anafi is very low now, and I’d like to have a drone by the end of next week, when I’ll go on holiday...

Any other suggestions?

My Anafi occasionally does this - very annoying! Luckily for me (so far) it seems to be a temporary fault, and if I turn it off and then on again, the camera feed is shown fine. Just once I had to turn it off and on again twice to fix this glitch.

So, I am afraid it is possible that yours has this fault and if you can't get it to work you'll probably have to return it for a replacement.

I haven't figured out why this happens to mine - it seems to be a completely random problem.

Good luck!

USB-C cable between what and what?
I’m trying to see the video feed directly between the drone and the phone(s) using WiFi.
I’ve used also the Skycontroller with the phones, and same state.
Reinstalled the app on both phones, same problem.

I’ve just packed it and I’ll try to return it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to wait for a replacement, my holiday is coming faster than their delivery date.

Is the Mavic Air a good replacement for it, or should I jump the gun and get a Mavic 2 Zoom?

USB-C cable between what and what?
I’m trying to see the video feed directly between the drone and the phone(s) using WiFi.
I’ve used also the Skycontroller with the phones, and same state.
Reinstalled the app on both phones, same problem.

I’ve just packed it and I’ll try to return it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to wait for a replacement, my holiday is coming faster than their delivery date.

Is the Mavic Air a good replacement for it, or should I jump the gun and get a Mavic 2 Zoom?
If you’re using an Android phone, especially a Samsung, when making a WiFi connection you need to disable the mobile data option on the phone.

I have experienced this exact same issue when connection to a DJI Spark via WiFi, numerous action cameras, even connecting to my OBD port scanner in my car.

Regards

Nidge.

I have already mention, I’m using an iPhone SE and an iPhone 8. These are the only phones I have, beside an old and still good iPhone 4.
Up until now, I’ve never had issues with kind of app or system that uses the phone, all of them worked as they should without tinkering around with options. Understanding that this might be an issue with other manufacturers, I really believe they should get on top of their game and stop selling us untested devices, push bad firmware and make many of us lose time with their lack of interest.
Working in software and hardware development industry, and being a tinkerer myself, I almost feel like I should start my own drone development project...but that’s a story for another time. Getting the drone to the shop now...

Got the Anafi back from the supplier today, and they've told me they haven't done anything specific to it, it just works.
Connected my phone, and there it is, camera connection is back.

As I thought they wouldn't be able to get back to me in time before going for holiday (they have a repair timeframe of 3 weeks), in the meantime I've got a good deal at an auction for a second hand Mavic Air.

The seller policy is quite weird in NZ compared to the rest of the world, especially EU, so basically even being only 1 day old and unused, just tested, they won't receive it back. The 7 days return policy is just in the case of unopened product. But if the product is faulty, you don't trust it anymore, or doesn't suit your needs (like, for example, you buy a monitor and you observe afterwards that it doesn't fit on your desk), good luck, they are not getting it back. As a consumer, I feel the law is totally against me.

Anyway, now I have 2 drones, and I'll go out now to test them :D
I hope I'm lucky on the first flight! (although, the Air seems to be reasonable indoors :p)

You're now the favorite user to write down your personality experiences by comparing both copter : Anafi and Mavic.
It will be very informative and interesting for me :)

Oh man...now everyone will chase me for first hand experience.

OK, I've lift them both today. Please take into account I'm a noob, basically never flew a drone before, beside the quick 58 seconds I've had last week with the Anafi to test it out.

Started with the Air, as it had the propeller guards installed. Lifted from a grass small park near me, to 3-4 meters height. Wind was medium to strong, but the drone seemed to be fine...until it kind of starting to drift considerably; I've tried to control it, and seemed ok, although at some point it got dangerously near some trees. Slow control got it away from them; landed, lifted again, tried a little higher, probably 7-8 meters this time, back, forth, spin around. The altitude was not very constant, but I couldn't prove in the end, as the footage was quite stable. Filmed, a total of 4 minutes flight, and together with initial setup, check and tweaks, I've had 64% battery at the end.
My initial thoughts are that the default configuration for cinematic is still too sensible to make nice footage, and the sensors, although annoying for a pro, are excellent for a starter like me, thou missing lateral sensors can still end you up in trees.
Couldn't figure out the land in hand, so I needed to force it on the screen with my nose while I was holding my palm out. The land is quite wobbly, compared to the Anafi palm land. Probably because I haven't used the proper mode, the interface on the DJI Go 4 is cumbersome and cluttered on an iPhone SE.

Second was the Anafi. Man, this drone really has issues. Everything was fine yesterday evening in home. Now, being out, is not connecting to the controller anymore. After 20 minutes, two resets, of the Anafi, 3 to the iPhone, switched to Airplane mode twice, finally it got connected. Now really, how can I trust it that it will not disconnect during flight, and I'll lose it?
Anyway, probably I was too tired or pissed off, I've tried to launch it from hand as last week (and because the grass was quite tall, and comparing to the Air, the Anafi would just dip into it too far), and I've hit a propeller with my pinky as soon as I've released it. The engines shut off, and the drone would fall like a rock. One of the long legs now has a split between the plastic parts on the exterior. Cleaned it, and tried again. It lifted off fine, and we've had a spin around. At first instance, seemed a little bit more controllable, probably because of the slower response default preset on the Anafi, or...who knows. But when the first gust of wind got in, man, the drone really drifted. Badly. And here it starts the problem. It just couldn't keep the altitude of 3-4 meters. It would just come down, and than I've had to get it up, would hover there, and that would start climbing on it's own. Anyway, the movement for pan was smoother than Air. But because of the stability in wind, the drone got closer and closer to a tree, until it was between it's branches. I've got concerned, and wanted to moved it out. And, that slowly movement was too slow, it started to grind on a branch, and that was it...half a second later it hit the ground upside down from about 5 meters high. Now all the propellers are damaged, and I'm not sure if the frame is still straight. But it starts, and seems to pull properly (started and stopped it while holding it), camera still works.
So this is it. This is how you spend and toss up $1000 and in 1:07 minutes.
At the end, after all the play and loading, the battery was at 84%. Yes, flew less than the Mavic Air, but the battery definitely holds for longer.

At the end, I have two small footages taken on Auto with both cameras, and my impression are as follows: the camera quality, and the default colours are definitely better on the Anafi than the Air (actually, you can observe the same thing on youtube through different footages of various people; probably the ones that say Air is better are watching the footage on a bad uncalibrated screen). The Anafi is better in terms of noise. I could hear the Air very loudly from 10 meters afar, while Anafi noise was diminishing a lot already from 5 meters away. The Zoom function is a very good addition comparing to the Air. The controller is much better on the Anafi; it has large proper buttons. I have small hands, and the camera adjustment on the Air is simply weird and small, and I always click the side buttons while trying to hold my phone together. The feeling of the Air controller is just flimsy, while the Parrot one is just hold properly in place.

Air is smaller to be packed away. Both Apps have issues, need high spec phones, and drain the phone battery quite fast, although the FreeFlight 6 I feel is a winner here, at least being the nicer and more intuitive one. Probably it doesn't have as many adjustments as the DJI Go 4, but seems to have what it needs. It the pairing would always be good and stable, I wouldn't have any complaints about it.
To be fair, the tests were short, and I need more time with them. I'll try the Anafi again tomorrow. Hope it can still fly.

But as a beginner, and never tried a drone before, definitely the Air is the better of the two. Yes, makes noise, big noise. But probably is good: you don't really know what you're doing, so it would be best for other people to be aware of your drone presence.
And get propeller guards! Regardless of the drone you start with. I don't have on the Anafi, and chipped all the propellers in 1 minute. I'm sure the guards would have made it more stable, and wouldn't chip the blades.

It's a complicated thing to do, even though you might see others doing it, and think of yourself as a guru in video games. Is not really a video game. Wind and reality feedback, together with the surroundings, is something difficult to replicate in a game.

Played today for about 15 minutes on a soccer field; 26% battery left.

I don't know why, but I feel the 20m recorded by the app, are waaay much higher. Like it was reporting only 2m, when actually it was twice the height I was at.
Tried some manual controls, but without exercise, as soon as the drone is not pointing from your POV, it becomes difficult and unintuitive. I have the controller set as default.

It flew fine, most of the time. But sometimes it just drifts considerably. Can't say if it's the wind, as sometimes you can see it fighting the wind properly and being stable.
Pointing the controller away from the drone, even being only 20-30m away, it complains about poor connection, and for a moment I think I've even lost the video feed. The connection is really poor, and felt totally uncomfortable with it. Observed that while doing a dronie with rotation, on a 30m radius.
I understand the FCC vs EC regulations debate, but to be fair applying this type of very low transmit power to this simple drones is just dangerous. You should be able to control the drone, no matter what or how the controller is kept, for at least 150-200meters. What would happen if it drifts into someone because you just lost the connection and couldn't get it back, while you can obviously see it?

The Home positioning is weird, or I'm not sure if it was done properly. Cause when I've tried to home it, it just started to landed wherever it was. Probably the current picture of the field underneath was the same everywhere, although it was at least 25meters away from where it started.

All in all, seemed a good first experience, even with the chipped and crusted propellers (i've tried to straighten them yesterday using my finger nails). Tested all the Follow Me modes, and is definitely more stable, and does what is suppose to do in those ones, much better than the jerky manual control I have over it.
I have to get used to the distance, although it always seemed to be more far away than the few meters it was shown on the display, and the distance I would be comfortable with. It complained several times that is too close to the subject while trying to perform follow me, or other functions.

And best place to land it if it's muddy and sloshy outside: on your car! :D

Now I'm waiting for the battery to charge...and boy it takes so long; about twice as long compared to the Air. And funny thing, I use the DJI charger (has USB outputs), to charge the Anafi. Is quite disappointing the Parrot is missing so many additional parts in the standard package. I just feel they've tried to cut costs everywhere.

L.E.: Yep, and looking at the footage now, is definitely wobbly, shakes left to right. This wobble disappears when moving around, but to take stable shots, I'm not sure the Anafi has this potential.

Last edited:
Wow, you are very fast in testing nearly all functions with one battery ...
The Anafi Wifi range depends on the surroundings. I always use a Wifi analyzer app in unknown areas before flight to see how crowded the channels are.
Mostly a change of the Wifi channel or the band helps to increase the range in manual flight.

I need to be; I leave overseas in 4 days, and I need to make sure I know all the functions properly. I plan to film islands and beaches, so I need to build up some confidence of how this thing work. Now, I'm sad I haven't continued my passion with plane models when I was young...but it was an expensive sport back than...
I think I still have under my bed at my mother's place the frames I've build...

The WiFi is crap. That's a fact. You cannot use reliably a frequency that's used by everyone, and expect to have total proper real time control. Beside that, the WiFi signals, there were 2 or 3, they were very weak. The closest house was at least 50m away, so it was clean as I could get in these surroundings. I'm a network engineer, I know what means a weak signal. The antennas on this things have a very low gain, and I doubt they were properly tested before (I just don't get it why would you design the antennas on PCBs in the feet, when you could very well have the antennas on the whole length of the legs...)

Anyway, I find the default settings for the controller quite awkward, and I have to think 3 times, before I reengage the joysticks after I take a break.

On the right, the pitch moves you forward, and roll sideways; and triggering them both at the same time, will move the drone diagonally, instead of describing a circle.
I think I'll try to set pitch and yaw on the right stick, so if I hold the joystick at 45degrees it should describe a circle and come back in the same place. Don't know, but this makes sense to me: you have a X-Z plane, at a certain altitude, and you use a single joystick to drive around, like a car.
And than roll and altitude (throttle) are on the left joystick, as you would have another Y-Z plane in front of you, and use the joystick to move the drone around, like it's a lift that can go up-down, and left-right. I'll try this config and see what happens from tomorrow on.

Anyway, thank you all for your support.
The discussion had veered off from the initial topic, so I will stop here. We can consider the chapter closed: the service did something (or not, not sure, they couldn't explain themselves), and camera now works fine.

Last edited:
Reading over your posts it is really to bad that Parrot does not have a flight simulator for you to practice with as I can tell you really need more practice before you start flying around people or buildings. The default control on all RC's is Mode 2 and is most widely used. I have seen some plane pilots preferring Mode 1 and some people from Europe liking it more then mode 2 but not very many.
Practicing in a wide open area doing figure eights might help you grow some confidence in your control of the craft.
Using the android modded APP located on the forum will increase your range and control also.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
What part of the world are you going to on holiday? Some countries allow the higher power FCC WiFi whilst others are limited to the lower EU setting. I believe that the software decides on the power setting the controller should use based on the GPS location of the Anafi. Using the Android modded app, as Agustine said, should give you the higher power controller WiFi anywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320