Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Check The KP Index In Your Area Today

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
If you believe in the KP index you might want to check it before flying. Its going to be a little high in North America today.

screenshot-www.uavforecast.com-2020.12.10-06_28_09.png

Ya I am not a big believer in it causing problems with the newer UAV's as they seem to be better off then the old DJI Phantoms that flew off at the blink of an eye. :)

I took off Thursday morning to take video of the sunrise, I live not that far from the East coast, and the sea is visible at 400' altitude above my house. I didn't know about the KP issue then.
Well, that was a scary flight! There were enough GPS satellites locked at takeoff as to maintain a steady hover... but suddenly my Anafi began wandering around like it happens when you fly without GPS signal‼️ I was able to film the sunset and keep it from flying away, it still kept pointing at the sun and maintained the yaw direction quite steady, but it moved around like a crazy mouse! I landed safely, and got a nice sunrise, except for the movement.
I had updated to the latest firmware v.1.7.3 the night before, and was worried the new firmware caused problems; then learned about the geomagnetic storm causing GPS interference later that day!

Here's the video of the notorious high-KP sunrise.

I "accelerated" this video to 4 times the normal speed, the drone movement is visible. And this is the flight path showing the Anafi dancing around. Pretty scary:

2C62D00E-E31D-4AD5-80BD-81AEB1BE5A4E.png

I did fly the Anafi later in the afternoon a couple of times, and there were no problems, it was rock steady again. But it seems that in the morning the high KP levels did a great job❗️?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJ123456