Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Cold weather

Hiljaahusky

Reaction score
Hi! I have an anafi on the way, but I am bit worried about cold weather use. It i rated down to -10 (while mavic air and pro is rated down to 0), which is around the limit I would like to be able use it. As long as I take precautions, with keeping battery warm before flight and hovering for warm-up, how well does the anafi hold up in cold weather?

So far I have had no problems flying in below freezing weather but like you said you need to keep you batteries warm before flight. Also remember plastic gets brittle when really cold so extra care should be taken. Winter time is a great time to use any UAV. Don't be afraid to use them in the cold.

Right from Parrots web page.

FLYING YOUR DRONE IN COLD WEATHER

Many drone owners want to know more about flying their drone in cold weather. Here are some tips and suggestions if this should apply to you.

• Charge your battery completely. This will ensure that it has a higher voltage. We recommend that the battery of your drone be charged to 100% in order to take-off. ANAFI's smart battery gives the battery charge level at all times, whether it is charging or not, when you press the ON/OFF button.
  • In cold weather, we recommend that you fly your drone particularly smoothly, without seeking to complete difficult maneuvers and sudden movements.
  • Plan for a shorter flight time to preserve your battery as much as possible.
  • Preheat your batteries or charge them for a few minutes before taking off.
  • Store your batteries in a warm place!

Hi! I have an anafi on the way, but I am bit worried about cold weather use. It i rated down to -10 (while mavic air and pro is rated down to 0), which is around the limit I would like to be able use it. As long as I take precautions, with keeping battery warm before flight and hovering for warm-up, how well does the anafi hold up in cold weather?

A cooling bag with two bottles of 50 dg celsius of hot water at the bottom is ideal for keeping electronic thing "game clear" in the cold. ;)

Fly safe, regards Leif.

My one a couple of days ago would not launch due to battery to cold message on RC screen.

After a few minutes it went away and flight okay (I guess it being on warmed it up a little).

It was above freezing, perhaps 35f

Thanks! So with precautions it should be useable within the stated temp range, at least. As far as I can tell I would not expect any better cold weather performance from a mavic air?

With years of DSLR experience,I would recommend not only keeping the batteries warm,but opening up your carrying case before quitting for the day to reduce the temperature of your carrying case.
I was taught years ago to put my camera and electronics back into a bag the same temperature as I was shooting in,seal the bag,and take it into the warm vehicle/house to SLOWLY reach the warmer temperature. Warming it too quickly leads to condensation,which sucks!

The only risky part is freezing your butt off, flown mine in a lot colder and my other UAV's ....just need to keep your batteries warm and keep yourself warm. Cold hands and cold feet will result in short flights.

Any plastic will get brittle in the cold but the props are not going to get to the point that they fall apart. If its that cold out I would think you would not want to be out in that type of weather LOL
It seems to be doing just fine from this video and it looks very cold where this guy is.

Reactions: charleslee
Did a flight today at -16 degrees celsius. No problems at all. But when I later prepared for another flight, the other battery that I had in my bag gave me a "battery cold"-warning and wouldn`t let me fly. Well, the manual says to keep them warm or keep them in the charger before using in the cold. Other than that, I think there is not much more problems with flying in the cold. I have used my DSLR even in -30 degrees and it worked well. If we get those kind of temperatures this winter, I will try how well the ANAFI deals with that. And here´s a picture from today

.P3070398-Pano-2.jpg

Reactions: AnafiPilot
I have been flying UAV's in the winter now for 5 plus years. Number one keep your batteries warm and yourself properly dress for the cold. The only time I had a problem with one of my UAV's in -30 degree F was the camera would not tilt up and down and would disconnect from the controller even at close range. I have over 200 winter videos on youtube and never worried about flying when it gets cold.
Snowblow a landing pad and have some fun, winter is long so make the best of it.

20160206_123051.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame