Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Corrected rubber goggles

Air Raid

Reaction score
My FPV kit came with the black rubber goggles. My eyes aren't great, so I need things to be optically right, or I can't focus and I get double vision. I discovered that the goggles are way off on focus, with no means to adjust. I also discovered that, by positioning the phone a significant distance off the foam banking pad, the image appears sharp and at very large virtual distance. So I designed a spacer and clip and had them 3-D printed. Now I'm loving these goggles! Can't wait for my next flying opportunity.
IMG_1641.JPG

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
Remember, on the included goggles, you're not just pulling the backside (head side) out into the unfolded position, you're also pulling the front side out into position. Unfolding the goggles is a two step process. That got me at first, I wasnt pulling the front out and as a result the focus was all screwed up.

Remember, on the included goggles, you're not just pulling the backside (head side) out into the unfolded position, you're also pulling the front side out into position. Unfolding the goggles is a two step process. That got me at first, I wasnt pulling the front out and as a result the focus was all screwed up.
Thanks Apollo,
Some smart guy put a lot of work into that design. But the lack of focus adjustment means that the optics are a huge compromise.

I am curious about other people's experience with these goggles. Do you have a pair? Is the focus OK for you? Does the focus get better (the viewing more relaxed, the image appears to be farther away) when you hold the phone some distance from the banking surface?

Before the mod, wearing my computer glasses, I was able to fly with the goggles, but the focus was bad enough that I couldn't converge the left and right images into one. Now, wearing my distance glasses the image is sharp and very far away, at least 6ft. Convergence is automatic.

Thanks Apollo,
Some smart guy put a lot of work into that design. But the lack of focus adjustment means that the optics are a huge compromise.

I am curious about other people's experience with these goggles. Do you have a pair? Is the focus OK for you? Does the focus get better (the viewing more relaxed, the image appears to be farther away) when you hold the phone some distance from the banking surface?

Before the mod, wearing my computer glasses, I was able to fly with the goggles, but the focus was bad enough that I couldn't converge the left and right images into one. Now, wearing my distance glasses the image is sharp and very far away, at least 6ft. Convergence is automatic.
It wasn't good at first, that's what triggered my response. I would put them on with my phone and the focus was way off. At first i thought it was just crappy technology, but after trying again i thought something had to be wrong here. If I held my phone an inch or two away it would all come into focus, so I took the goggles off and looked at them and thought.. could it be? Naaaa, couldn't be that easy... I grabbed the front and pulled and sure enough, the front popped out into position, just like the back. The front was now about two inches further away from the lenses, which fixed the focus issue of course. I felt like a boob being confused by something so simple and obvious, but I take comfort in assuming I'm not the only one.

Btw- I don't need my readers while using the goggles, which surprised me, I figured I would.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut