Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Crashed the second drone in less than a month.

The GPS indication is obviously irrelevant when there is no connection... It was likely perfectly fine.

The thing that concerns me is the fact that the OP had a RTH that placed the Anafi into a tree - assuming battery levels are OK, the landing should have been within 3 meters of the take-off point? I fly with the expectation that I will lose signal - WiFi is a very crowded space - I am only comfortable with this if the RTH is reliable!

On the other hand loss of signal within a 30m range should be very rare to non existent :(

Last edited:
I often read here "there was no other wifi around" in many posts.
How do you know that?
To exactly know if there is/was no HF interference you have to walk the whole way your drone took and look on a Wifi analyzer app.
I bet in many cases users will find the source bringing your bird out of control.

I think the guy from Australia was in the outback and I was near a river. I drove to the river and saw no wifi towers on the way. I saw no wifi towers from the Anafi video. Unless they put wifi towers in the ocean, then I'm pretty certain my statement is correct. That's how I know that.

Last edited:
The thing that concerns me is the fact that the OP had a RTH that placed the Anafi into a tree - assuming battery levels are OK, the landing should have been within 3 meters of the take-off point? I fly with the expectation that I will lose signal - WiFi is a very crowded space - I am only comfortable with this if the RTH is reliable!

On the other hand loss of signal within a 30m range should be very rare to non existent :(
I never fly with such an assumption with my DJI Spark. I have never lost signal or transmission when flying it. My first three flights with the Anafi, flying in the same location I fly the Spark, I received the "Severe wifi interference" message on 2 out of the 3 flights. On one of those 2 flights with the transmission error, I also lost video transmission from the spark to the controller while I was 500 feet away and 150 feet high. The app also showed no GPS connection (in red) as I was flying back manually. My data tells me that my Anafi isn't operating properly. As I read in this forum, I have found I am not the only one.

The GPS indication is obviously irrelevant when there is no connection... It was likely perfectly fine.

I get what you are saying. The entire thing doesn't make sense. I was in a remote area. I had my phone in airplane mode.

1. The Anafi was 500 feet away, 150 feet high.
2. When I got the LOST CONNECTION error in red, I lost video and the GPS showed RED in the app for the Anafi. All I had left was VLOS
3. There was no streaming video to the Freeflight 6 app at all.
4. I used the controller sticks to turn the Anafi back toward me and fly home. I dared not push the RTH button with it showing no GPS.

So in summary, I lost wifi video transmission but I did not lose wifi controller transmission as the Anafi responded to my control movements. So, did I actually lose GPS connectivity, or was that just a result of losing part of the wifi transmission in the video feed? And why did the wifi work for the controls but not transmit video from the Anafi back to the Freeflight App?

Perplexing.

I think the guy from Australia was in the outback and I was near a river. I drove to the river and saw no wifi towers on the way. I saw no wifi towers from the Anafi video. Unless they put wifi towers in the ocean, then I'm pretty certain my statement is correct. That's how I know that.
My point was, that the only way to definitely find out is MEASURING. Anything else is assuming or guessing.

I just found this old article which might have been useful to have included in the Anafi pdf, or some other prominent place.

If I read it correctly, the "no wifi/interference" messages shows up when the connection is weak.
For example if obstructions are in the way, or - I guess - even if the controller is pointing away from the Anafi.

ANAFI - Wi-Fi range efficiency - Parrot Blog

Reactions: wscreate
I get what you are saying. The entire thing doesn't make sense. I was in a remote area. I had my phone in airplane mode.

1. The Anafi was 500 feet away, 150 feet high.
2. When I got the LOST CONNECTION error in red, I lost video and the GPS showed RED in the app for the Anafi. All I had left was VLOS
3. There was no streaming video to the Freeflight 6 app at all.
4. I used the controller sticks to turn the Anafi back toward me and fly home. I dared not push the RTH button with it showing no GPS.

So in summary, I lost wifi video transmission but I did not lose wifi controller transmission as the Anafi responded to my control movements. So, did I actually lose GPS connectivity, or was that just a result of losing part of the wifi transmission in the video feed? And why did the wifi work for the controls but not transmit video from the Anafi back to the Freeflight App?

Perplexing.

To me it looks like a device fault, either software or hardware.

Reactions: wscreate and Kilrah
To me it looks like a device fault, either software or hardware.

When weather permits in a day or so, I'm going to go out and fly it specifically to test the connection. I'm start by flying it in 5 Ghz mode (was on 2.4 Ghz when this error occured). I'm going to be very careful to follow all Parrot suggestions when flying. Hopefully this issue is not a common occurrence.

My point was, that the only way to definitely find out is MEASURING. Anything else is assuming or guessing.

Sorry, your point is unrealistic.

If the connection is solid on launch in the middle of nowhere and then disappears due to WiFi interference after flying the drone 100 meters out towards the open ocean, you're not going to be able to measure it. If you had an analyzer with you it's not going to pick up anything because apparently the interference should be out there in the sky where the drone is flying, not where the pilot is standing.

The fact that the connection was stable at launch *is the spectrum analysis*. It shows that it was clear by the very fact that the connection was fine.

"Measuring it" is completely useless advice. You're not going to measure it when it's 100m in the air and you're standing helpless on the ground.

At the end of the day, the connection need to JUST. WORK.

Full stop.

There are no reports of people losing connection with DJI products. Apparently DJI has figured out how to have a connection that's not sh*tty, and they don't hide behind impractical requirements to "measure the interference." Measuring the interference is something that the engineers should do when they're designing the product. It's absolutely not something you should ever expect your end users to do for themselves.

Oh, fuzzybabybunny!
If my Wifi-controlled drone would show "Wifi interference" always at a certain location, then I would go there and measure the Wifi pollution. I would do that if:
- I want to fly over this spot again
- I don't have to enter forbidden or private areas or don't get wet feet.

I updated the firmware on the drone. I updated the Freeflight app to version 6.3.1. I switched the wifi transmission to 5 ghz because it is a less crowded band. Since then I have flown twice on two different days, in the same location without any transmission problems at all. Things are looking much better.

Note, the firmware and the freeflight app were updated at the time of the flight which had the transmission problem. An update of both came out during the time between that flight, and my latest two flights. So, maybe something in the latest firmware update corrected things. Or, maybe flying with 5 ghz wifi has helped.

I didn't intend to hijack this thread. My apologies to the OP. But it seemed like a good thread to impart information which might help others.

Sorry, your point is unrealistic.

If the connection is solid on launch in the middle of nowhere and then disappears due to WiFi interference after flying the drone 100 meters out towards the open ocean, you're not going to be able to measure it. If you had an analyzer with you it's not going to pick up anything because apparently the interference should be out there in the sky where the drone is flying, not where the pilot is standing.

The fact that the connection was stable at launch *is the spectrum analysis*. It shows that it was clear by the very fact that the connection was fine.

"Measuring it" is completely useless advice. You're not going to measure it when it's 100m in the air and you're standing helpless on the ground.

At the end of the day, the connection need to JUST. WORK.

Full stop.

There are no reports of people losing connection with DJI products. Apparently DJI has figured out how to have a connection that's not sh*tty, and they don't hide behind impractical requirements to "measure the interference." Measuring the interference is something that the engineers should do when they're designing the product. It's absolutely not something you should ever expect your end users to do for themselves.

I have been flying a DJI Spark now since nearly a year and I can tell you that Parrots connection is much better and stable then that if DJI drones with the exception of the Mavic, which uses Ocusync instead of WiFi.

Especially in Europe, where the radio power is reduced on all drones based on the gps location, the DJI Spark and DJI Air which use Wifi like the Parrot Anafi can’t fly distances over 150 meters before they loose video signal and then controller signal.

Sometimes you are lucky and you reach around 200 meters but that’s not very often and a very risky situation, as it can be enough to turn the drone in specific directions to fully loose connection at such distances.

And not to forget the regular interferences in places where you least expect it.

The parrot Anafi on the other hand, reaches 300 meter and more often with full WiFi signal (I can’t tell you how farbig could possible go. But 300 meters is already around the legal mark of still beeing able to see your drone. ).

I could also talk about the app of DJI having also some problems and that updates are very rare. Not even close to all those updates and improvements the Anafi received

Those are all reasons why i am going to switch to an Anafi probably in the next months

This reviewer even has issues with the Anafi WiFi and flies it into some shrubs at 2:56 when comparing it side by side with the Mavic Air at the same location. Both get wifi interference because they're using "enhanced wifi" but the Air doesn't almost kill itself by losing all controls as the Anafi does.

Going out to get a Mavic Pro Zoom with occusync after Christmas. I'm tired of the constant crap connections, features breaking after every update, the loss of footage opportunities on once-in-a-lifetime trips, the crappy blurring of details on video footage, and the inability to get any kind of useful support when traveling overseas (Parrot can't send me a replacement Anafi (their travel drone!) to where I'm travelling in Australia even when I offered to pay shipping).

I have been flying a DJI Spark now since nearly a year and I can tell you that Parrots connection is much better and stable then that if DJI drones with the exception of the Mavic, which uses Ocusync instead of WiFi.

Especially in Europe, where the radio power is reduced on all drones based on the gps location, the DJI Spark and DJI Air which use Wifi like the Parrot Anafi can’t fly distances over 150 meters before they loose video signal and then controller signal.

Sometimes you are lucky and you reach around 200 meters but that’s not very often and a very risky situation, as it can be enough to turn the drone in specific directions to fully loose connection at such distances.

And not to forget the regular interferences in places where you least expect it.

The parrot Anafi on the other hand, reaches 300 meter and more often with full WiFi signal (I can’t tell you how farbig could possible go. But 300 meters is already around the legal mark of still beeing able to see your drone. ).

I could also talk about the app of DJI having also some problems and that updates are very rare. Not even close to all those updates and improvements the Anafi received

Those are all reasons why i am going to switch to an Anafi probably in the next months

Just get a DJI with occusync like the Mavic Pro or Pro 2 or Pro Zoom and you won't have disconnect issues. The Anafi connection is a joke that's on par with the Mavic Air. See review above.

Just get a DJI with occusync like the Mavic Pro or Pro 2 or Pro Zoom and you won't have disconnect issues. The Anafi connection is a joke that's on par with the Mavic Air. See review above.

Exactly what I said. Ocusync and comparable tec aside, al those WiFi Drones have major problems with reception and range. Which is pretty obvious as WiFi is not meant for such thing. I never understand why they even switched for this but I guess the idea was to allow phones to connect.

Anyway in multiple tests the Anafi had a much better range and connection than the Mavic Air or Spark which have major issues even at pretty close range. And both also miss some interesting features like following the user by controller gps. The spark once tried to follow, lost me for some strange reason and accelerated right into a wall. I managed to stop it only inches from the wall but the sensors didn’t do anything a that moment.

The Mavic Zoom would surely be a more „professional“ drone, but it costs 3-4 times the price of the Anafi while still having comparable or at least close enough image quality that I would not pay that prize.

And then we have all those regulations in some countries that prevent using drones above certain weights so even drones like the Mavic Air are to heavy. The Anafi and Spark are the only „professional“ drones I can use freely traveling

Ok, happy disconnecting with Mavic Pro 2: Mavic 2 Pro AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED during a fly

What I think: every copter has his specific problems. If you hate those of Anafi, then you will perhaps love those of Mavic Pro 2! Good luck.

Exactly what I said. Ocusync and comparable tec aside, al those WiFi Drones have major problems with reception and range. Which is pretty obvious as WiFi is not meant for such thing. I never understand why they even switched for this but I guess the idea was to allow phones to connect.

Anyway in multiple tests the Anafi had a much better range and connection than the Mavic Air or Spark which have major issues even at pretty close range. And both also miss some interesting features like following the user by controller gps. The spark once tried to follow, lost me for some strange reason and accelerated right into a wall. I managed to stop it only inches from the wall but the sensors didn’t do anything a that moment.

The Mavic Zoom would surely be a more „professional“ drone, but it costs 3-4 times the price of the Anafi while still having comparable or at least close enough image quality that I would not pay that prize.

And then we have all those regulations in some countries that prevent using drones above certain weights so even drones like the Mavic Air are to heavy. The Anafi and Spark are the only „professional“ drones I can use freely traveling

My Anafi has for sure lost connection at 5 meters away from the controller. When it flew itself into a tree I was only 5 meters away frantically trying to get the controls to work while flying it in the middle of the outback in Australia (aka the middle of nowhere). When it lost connection flying over a ocean cliff it was also very close by - I could have easily thrown the controller and hit the drone with it!

So from what I've experienced with the Anafi and its frequent connection issues is that the WiFi connection is probably just as bad as the Spark connection.

In my world, losing control is a big no-no. Video feed cuts out? Fine. Losing all control, especially at such a stupidly-close distance? Game over.

Ok, happy disconnecting with Mavic Pro 2: Mavic 2 Pro AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED during a fly

What I think: every copter has his specific problems. If you hate those of Anafi, then you will perhaps love those of Mavic Pro 2! Good luck.

Yeah, 400 meters away and behind trees and out of line of sight when they experienced a disconnect.

My Anafi was 30 meters away and was still disconnected at *2* meters away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seow