Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DaVinci Resolve 4K video editing

Joe_Scot

Reaction score
After years wedded to the same editing software (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum) I thought I'd try out DaVinci Resolve 16 over the past week, as I know a lot of people use it, it's free, and maybe it has some good features. In particular, video stabilisation (which is not very effective in Movie Studio) was of interest.

Long story short - I immediately got the 'dreaded' message

Error "Your GPU Memory is full"

... pretty much as soon as I started just playing any 4K clip from the Anafi. Likewise, trying to do anything like stabilisation results in this message. The message can be closed, and you can continue, but it pops up at least once a minute, which is extremely annoying. Also, the stabilisation appears to complete, but the resulting clip displays as a completely black screen - useless.

So, my research showed that there are literally thousands of posts about this error message, YouTube videos on how to fix it, and these go back a few years as well as being related to the current version.

Almost every thread suggests different fixes, and include suggestions like a better graphics card, more RAM, different drivers etc etc. but in almost all cases it seems people don't manage to fix the problem.

(I'm not going to spend hundreds of pounds on a new graphics card when it may not fix this, and there's no other reason why I need a new graphics card!!)

If anyone here uses Resolve to edit their 4K Anafi videos, please could you let me know your computer spec.... and if you ever had to do anything to cure this error message, what was it...

Note - this ONLY affects 4K footage. I can use Resolve with 1920x1080 footage with no problems. Stabilisation clearly works fine with that, and doesn't give a black screen. 4K is the problem for Resolve, but I have no issues with 4K in Movie Studio, or in a trial of Premiere Pro and AfterEffects.

Thanks
Joe

Spec:
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz (4 cores)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Model Z97-A (SOCKET 1150)
32GB Crucial Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
2 x SSDs, plus 4TB Hard Drive
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I got the exact same PC setup except I upgraded to a RTX 2070 with 8Gb VRAM.

I don't see that error anymore, especially with the last few updates for Resolve pretty much stopped all the out of memory errors for the heavy duty stuff like optical flow.

You may have no other option but to upgrade GPU - also if you do commit to upgrading the GPU, it will make sense to also upgrade Resolve to the paid studio version as that will use GPU accelerated rendering and effects. This improves the speed of things by several magnitudes - hence why I am still running my Z97 / 4790K with no reason to upgrade to the latest i9 cpus.

After years wedded to the same editing software (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum) I thought I'd try out DaVinci Resolve 16 over the past week, as I know a lot of people use it, it's free, and maybe it has some good features. In particular, video stabilisation (which is not very effective in Movie Studio) was of interest.

Long story short - I immediately got the 'dreaded' message

Error "Your GPU Memory is full"

... pretty much as soon as I started just playing any 4K clip from the Anafi. Likewise, trying to do anything like stabilisation results in this message. The message can be closed, and you can continue, but it pops up at least once a minute, which is extremely annoying. Also, the stabilisation appears to complete, but the resulting clip displays as a completely black screen - useless.

So, my research showed that there are literally thousands of posts about this error message, YouTube videos on how to fix it, and these go back a few years as well as being related to the current version.

Almost every thread suggests different fixes, and include suggestions like a better graphics card, more RAM, different drivers etc etc. but in almost all cases it seems people don't manage to fix the problem.

(I'm not going to spend hundreds of pounds on a new graphics card when it may not fix this, and there's no other reason why I need a new graphics card!!)

If anyone here uses Resolve to edit their 4K Anafi videos, please could you let me know your computer spec.... and if you ever had to do anything to cure this error message, what was it...

Note - this ONLY affects 4K footage. I can use Resolve with 1920x1080 footage with no problems. Stabilisation clearly works fine with that, and doesn't give a black screen. 4K is the problem for Resolve, but I have no issues with 4K in Movie Studio, or in a trial of Premiere Pro and AfterEffects.

Thanks
Joe

Spec:
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz (4 cores)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Model Z97-A (SOCKET 1150)
32GB Crucial Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
2 x SSDs, plus 4TB Hard Drive
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
See this: 5 Tips To Improve Performance in DaVinci Resolve - Frame.io Insider

I got the exact same PC setup except I upgraded to a RTX 2070 with 8Gb VRAM.

I don't see that error anymore, especially with the last few updates for Resolve pretty much stopped all the out of memory errors for the heavy duty stuff like optical flow.

You may have no other option but to upgrade GPU - also if you do commit to upgrading the GPU, it will make sense to also upgrade Resolve to the paid studio version as that will use GPU accelerated rendering and effects. This improves the speed of things by several magnitudes - hence why I am still running my Z97 / 4790K with no reason to upgrade to the latest i9 cpus.

Thanks for the reply and good to know that you found an updated GPU made a difference. Due to the cost, I'm still not sure whether to take the risk as it seems it doesn't fix the problem for everyone. It would be good to get this working without spending a fortune!

I was at a point my old computer just sucked and wanted to build one. I ended up getting a MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming X 8GB GDRR6 256-bit HDMI/DP G-Sync Turing Architecture Overclocked Graphics Card. Not overly expensive but it is up there in price but I can say with out a doubt it performs excellently. My render times have been cut to minutes instead of hours. My kid is a gamer and can play all of the new games without a problem. I also went from 8 gigs of ram to 16 gigs of ram. This also made a big difference.

Thanks for the reply and good to know that you found an updated GPU made a difference. Due to the cost, I'm still not sure whether to take the risk as it seems it doesn't fix the problem for everyone. It would be good to get this working without spending a fortune!

Yes the card I bought was quite an investment, but my old GPU like yours was a 2GB card and it just made it too hard to edit 4K!

I was at a point my old computer just sucked and wanted to build one. I ended up getting a MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming X 8GB GDRR6 256-bit HDMI/DP G-Sync Turing Architecture Overclocked Graphics Card. Not overly expensive but it is up there in price but I can say with out a doubt it performs excellently. My render times have been cut to minutes instead of hours. My kid is a gamer and can play all of the new games without a problem. I also went from 8 gigs of ram to 16 gigs of ram. This also made a big difference.

Thanks - good to know. Looked up your card and [ouch] .... will have to do some serious saving! Maybe later this year ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut