Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dedicated cell phone? Good/bad

Kdavis2269

Reaction score
Is there any downfalls to using a dedicated cell phone with the controller? I can pick up a Samsung Galaxy J3 for 79 bucks. I plan to trow an old deactivated SIM card in it so it won't have internet. I figured it may reduce any potential app conflicts that may happen with my work phone. What happens if you don't have service to load the pre flight location map?

Is there any downfalls to using a dedicated cell phone with the controller? I can pick up a Samsung Galaxy J3 for 79 bucks. I plan to trow an old deactivated SIM card in it so it won't have internet. I figured it may reduce any potential app conflicts that may happen with my work phone. What happens if you don't have service to load the pre flight location map?
You can always load the map wherever you have data coverage, then it will be waiting for you when you go to fly.

For my iPad I have a cheap SIM, which is a pay-as-you-go type one, just so I can load the maps at the point of flying, then turn it to Aeroplane Mode while I am flying. If I use less than $10 of data per month, it rolls over to the next billing cycle for up to 3 months, then they charge my account.

Main point for me would be:
  • GPS on board
  • barometer on board
  • hardware able to deal with FF6 (have a look on the compatibility list here in the forum).
  • bright and good visible screen
Updating, loading maps, etc. can be done at home over a Wifi internet access.

I have been using a 7 inch Huawei tablet via sub cable. Model BG2-WO9. I will connect by wifi. Has Android version 6. The display is nice but lags the camera in flight. Bought on sale at Frys for less than $80.00. Free flight works as expected so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quinzee