Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Experiences obtaining parts for Anafi (or Parrot in general)?

gotdurt

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm considering buying an Anafi drone and a couple of the sources offer 2-year Square Trade policies or other "protection plans" for them at about $140-200 that supposedly cover accidental damage. The Square Trade plans also have a $75 deductible... reviews of the plans are iffy at best.

However, unlike most other electronic devices (cameras, tablets, etc), Parrot has parts available for the Anafi, although no prices are listed... I would think that none of them would be much more than $150+$75 deductible? I do have experience with repairing my own devices and quite a bit with hobby-level RC building, repair, etc.

So what I'm getting at, is it even worth getting crash protection when the most likely parts to break are available for purchase for me to repair it myself? I would also like to hear from anyone who has purchased replacement parts, like the arm kit, central body/chassis, etc...

I love the Anafi as a drone, but if you are in North America (any country) at a minimum, consider Square Trade, but on the whole I would not advise you to get one.

The reason there are no prices on parts is that they won't sell them in North America. You have to go through "partners" like Amazon. I've needed a mechanical kit since May, had one on order with three different companies in May. Just this last week, my last hope, Amazon cancelled my order (original arrive period of August 13th thru Sept 21st). This is what Amazon said in their email to me:
"Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item from your order. We've canceled the item and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days. If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers. Please visit the detail page for this item below. "

Contacting Parrot support can be mind numbing. I had two crashes, one caused by software, one all me. Even when they are replacing your drone, you will go days without communication, their instructions are at odds with their practices and if you call them to clarify you are likely to be treated with borderline contempt if you are calling about a claim in process. Somewhat paradoxically they are incredibly polite if it is an new complaint.

When you need parts, they happily explain they they cannot sell to North America, citing a number of factors, my favorite being "the current administration." OK, I'm in the US, maybe, but what exactly did the Canadians and Mexicans do to Parrot? And on my last two calls about parts both techs promised to email me links where I could buy the kit. No email was forthcoming, but they weren't lying either. There are just not any vendors able to sell them so there are no links to send.

I have a very neat, rather expensive, slightly damaged paper weight, rather than the drone I loved to fly.

Parrot does not stand behind their products or customers in North America.

There are some really decent low cost drones that have come on the market since I brought my Anafi 12 month ago, some even have 4K cameras. Are they as well built? Nope? Is the support any better? I highly doubt it. Would I feel better about throwing away 1/4 of the money at this point? Incredibly better. Heck, I could have bought 3 at this point and I'd still be flying.:mad::cry::mad:

Reactions: Thanev
I love the Anafi as a drone, but if you are in North America (any country) at a minimum, consider Square Trade, but on the whole I would not advise you to get one.

The reason there are no prices on parts is that they won't sell them in North America. You have to go through "partners" like Amazon. I've needed a mechanical kit since May, had one on order with three different companies in May. Just this last week, my last hope, Amazon cancelled my order (original arrive period of August 13th thru Sept 21st). This is what Amazon said in their email to me:
"Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item from your order. We've canceled the item and apologize for the inconvenience. If you see a charge for the canceled item, we will refund you within 1-2 business days. If you are still interested in purchasing this item, it may be available from other sellers. Please visit the detail page for this item below. "

Contacting Parrot support can be mind numbing. I had two crashes, one caused by software, one all me. Even when they are replacing your drone, you will go days without communication, their instructions are at odds with their practices and if you call them to clarify you are likely to be treated with borderline contempt if you are calling about a claim in process. Somewhat paradoxically they are incredibly polite if it is an new complaint.

When you need parts, they happily explain they they cannot sell to North America, citing a number of factors, my favorite being "the current administration." OK, I'm in the US, maybe, but what exactly did the Canadians and Mexicans do to Parrot? And on my last two calls about parts both techs promised to email me links where I could buy the kit. No email was forthcoming, but they weren't lying either. There are just not any vendors able to sell them so there are no links to send.

I have a very neat, rather expensive, slightly damaged paper weight, rather than the drone I loved to fly.

Parrot does not stand behind their products or customers in North America.

There are some really decent low cost drones that have come on the market since I brought my Anafi 12 month ago, some even have 4K cameras. Are they as well built? Nope? Is the support any better? I highly doubt it. Would I feel better about throwing away 1/4 of the money at this point? Incredibly better. Heck, I could have bought 3 at this point and I'd still be flying.:mad::cry::mad:
Thanks, that's very enlightening. Maybe I should sit on this a little while and keep looking. As a photographer, my primary reason for leaning toward the Anafi is actually for the camera more than the flying experience, particularly the Sony sensor for 21mp stills; nothing else in the pricerange offers anything equal... next up are micro 4/3 and DJI's 1" sensor, all doubling the drone price.

Maybe I should watch for a damaged one on ebay to pick up for parts...

Actually that was my intent as well originally. Then I got sucked in to the videography thing. That necessitated better flying and... you see how it goes. Just before my crash I had decided to go back to my original intent. Well my dslr has been busy.

I finally found the mechanical kit on amazon, UPS just delivered it.

I had notifications turned on for the listing on Amazon and heard nothing. I happened to check Sunday and chanced across a listing. I somehow managed to order two. Both were delivered today, but considering I started the process in March of this year and it's the end of August, I'm just keeping the second kit. And I fully plan on using the rather expensive Loctite glue I bought to fix the damaged parts.

I love the drone, I still have to advise North American shoppers to very, very carefully consider their purchase before they buy a Parrot product.

A side note/question. How does a site like this not end up with Parrot reps responding in the forums? I've had so many products of various types where the reps were all over the site trying to be helpful (and thereby enhance their reputation) that the lack here seems really bizarre to me.

" How does a site like this not end up with Parrot reps responding in the forums? I've had so many products of various types where the reps were all over the site trying to be helpful (and thereby enhance their reputation) that the lack here seems really bizarre to me."

"Watch "12 ways to say 'I don't care' in French ranging from polite to very rude" on YouTube
"
After asking myself the same question,and YEARS of experience in customer service,that's all I can come up with...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guads100k