Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fall from sky without any apparent issue: case studies and possible reasons.

Zebrauno

Reaction score
Since I experienced several unexpected falls I decided to recreate the conditions in order to look for the possible reasons.

During the last days of 2021 I found a great location to fly my Anafi, just along a beatiful natural beach on the south-west of the Sardinia island.
The wind velocity is always above 5m/s at >30meters during winter, and mostly from north-west.
After 10 minutes of flight in Film mode where I was testing the ability to stay in a position without drifting away with the winds I changed to Sport mode.

Great wifi signal, 37meters AGL, speed was 12m/s with almost rear wind of 5m/s.
When it was 280m away I saw on the display a tipical free fall case: drone rotating on every axis falling down without control.
GPS position was recorded and the drone found in the bushes along the beach.
Il was emitting an intermittent sound from the motors that was determinant in order to find it.

I donwloaded all the flight log data and watched the video founding something very strange:
- I saw the fall on my phone, from sky to bushes and the video was visible for 2 seconds after it was on the ground BUT the video recorded was stopped at a point when the drone was in the sky and under control.
- the logs showed a partial change in the height record and battery: they looked truncated to 0 just before the fall.

Anafi flew many other times, even with strong winds, and I managed to send it >1km away over the sea to reach some little islands with no issues at all.

In the last week I mounted the modified battery (900mAh 7,6V 60C) and during a drain test (usually 9' 15" until auto landing) I assisted to a fall, inside my house.
Anafi banked left without control and fell, emitting the same intermittent saound from the motors.
The voltage was above 7'500mAh when rebooted.

Then removed the mainboard and double cheched every connector:
- the down facing camera connector has a little way to move on its side and slightly up near the mainboard
- the little flat power connector to the mainboard also could slightly move, even if kept in place by the plastic clip.

I decided to mount some plastic spacers to increase the pressure on those connectors, and did another try to find the problem.

Yesterday I managed another drain test with the light 900mAh battery, and thid time I got exactly what happened:
- during an hovering test i touched every drone arm and found some vibrations, that kind that could easily cause problems on the connectors! (the actual propellers are not the original ones, maybe they are not balanced and it's not an easy task with this split type)
- anafi did a safe autolanding at 9'15" (from 1 meter of height)
- I left the Anafi leaving on the carpet for about 20", with video recording (launched after landing) and the voltage had a very rapid drop down to <5000mV
I was looking the phone, video was still ok during the drop and wifi was working.
Few seconds later the drone entered in the same state I heard after the crashes: intermittent sound from the motors!

I put another battery and downloaded the videos, so the logs.
That's the point:
- when the battery have a drop in voltage WIFI can work and send video from camera BUT the recording stops
- the Logs also are stopped before the drop, and NO CRASH are reported (just like the other two times!).

MY CONCLUSIONS:
If the Anafi fall from the sky, sending video to your phone until down to the ground, BUT the video recorded stops just before the fall, then it's a battery problem related to a current/tension drop. I had proof that Anafi can send video with voltages below 5000mV, wich is not enough to record the crash in the logs or to write in the SD card.
If it falls without sending video to the wifi then the problem could be connector related (power to mainboard due to vibrations).
In the past I had several messages, in FreeFlight, about some 'vibrations'. They appeared just when I used the non original props.

1) Check your batteries for the real capacity and flight time
2) Use only original propellers and check for any kind of vibrations: even if you don't see them on the camera they can compromise the security of your flights!
3) Read the logs, but don't expect to find any data recorded under 6000mV.

Attachments

• 1-1-2022 crash Screen_Chart altitude_1.png
    1-1-2022 crash Screen_Chart altitude_1.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1-1-2022 crash Screen_meta.jpg
    1-1-2022 crash Screen_meta.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: Tornado
Just had a brand-new Anafi "Fall from the sky", and by brand new I mean brand new first flight. Everything fully charged and had put 3 other Anafi drone into service before this flight with no issues. Downloaded the flightlogs and ran them through Anafilog app. There doesn't seem to be any real cause for all the motors shutting off and the drone falling from the sky. I am new to the forum and don't have more than 10 hours on the Anafi, this is my first failure and I am trying to find out the reason. I have attached screenshots and flight logs. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 3d_GE_Flight_Path.PNG
    3d_GE_Flight_Path.PNG
    781.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Anafi_Flight_Altitude_Data_graph.PNG
    Anafi_Flight_Altitude_Data_graph.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Anafi_Flight_Data_graph.PNG
    Anafi_Flight_Data_graph.PNG
    44.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Anafi_Metadata_json.PNG
    Anafi_Metadata_json.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 091e_2023-08-15T223214+0200_11F91B_0002.json
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
Did you fly and bound another anafi with same controller previously? I dunno how well 1 controller handles multiple binds.

Did you only use controller and no phone?

Did you accidently open freeflight pro (not ff6) with controller connected?

To be transparent we are flying the Parrot ANAFI USA GOV Edition Thermal Drone. They were only bound to their own GCS. Did not make any changes to connection with the aircraft or flight software. All operations were normal up to the point of the aircraft falling out of the sky. Thought it might have been battery issue but all logs looked good and showed no voltage drops.

It been a very long time since I read logs. From what I can see it was a complete shut down. Now I really do not know why. I Just a guess but I would say the battery connection was the problem. Perhaps bad contact on the pins. Poor connection inside the drome like a cold solder joint that under stress failed. Very hard to say what might have happened. As nice as the Anafilog app is, it can only give you info that it can understand. Parrot did not make it easy h-elsner to understand the firmware to write a better log reader but its all we have.

Yes. We could have at least some feedback on what caused the crash, I believe the drone itself could detect and log a lost prop through vibrations or a locked up motor or battery issue, and report it in the after flight report but instead it always says nil about why you crashed. How about adding the in flight alerts so we can see when they occured and what type of alert they were on the post flight log or in FF6 Parrot?

I made this post which even includes a video of the crash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davecat44