Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

FF6 and stored maps on a phone.

bbrod68216

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Does anybody know if the controller and the FF6 app can use cached and stored maps from Google maps or another map application?
If I'm out in the country and have no wifi or phone service, can It use the stored maps on my phone.
No luck so far for me.
I went out today with no connection and the drone had gps, but the controller couldn't connect or even know where it was, and so I could not get any distance from home reading on the app.
Altitude readout was fine as well as the return to home function, just no gps connection on the controller.
It would sure be nice if the app could use stored maps.

Most times the problem is you cache a map and then travel to your intended site but leave the phones WiFi and Data connection on. This forces the phone to update and you lose the cache from what I have experience.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the ParrotPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Parrot quadcopters.
Enjoy!

Most times the problem is you cache a map and then travel to your intended site but leave the phones WiFi and Data connection on. This forces the phone to update and you lose the cache from what I have experience.
Interesting!
Except the phone was in airplane mode with gps on the whole time, I have another phone with a sim card in it.
I checked, and the map was still cached, and available.
I did however, try it again this afternoon, and recalibrated the compass to see if that could help.
Not sure if it did help, but I did have a distance readout this time, the little gps readout was still red for the controller, but green for the drone.
Very strange because if you brought up the map view, it pinpointed the drone location, but also the controller location-home. That could have been based on the drone's record of the home take-off point though.
Oh well, maybe it will straighten out and work by itself at some point:)
The good new is my 64gb Sandisk Ultra is working just fine now!

Well lets us know how it all works out. Map cache can be tricky and not always perfect. Tats why I carry a cell phone booster when I am out in the country to reach those hard to get cell towers :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame