Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Filming in the mountains

Petko Mladenov

Reaction score
Dear all please do something about filming mountain biking and snowboarding in the mountains. First no obstacle avoidance- mountain biking? Interesting! Second- no autonomous flight with Google earth coordinates- mountain flight ? Interesting! Finally, only 150m from take off not from the ground ??? What the... I even can't filming my friends during riding on the steep summit. So I can use my drone only to flight over completely flat surrounding without any obstacles. Amazing !!!

Dear all please do something about filming mountain biking and snowboarding in the mountains. First no obstacle avoidance- mountain biking? Interesting! Second- no autonomous flight with Google earth coordinates- mountain flight ? Interesting! Finally, only 150m from take off not from the ground ??? What the... I even can't filming my friends during riding on the steep summit. So I can use my drone only to flight over completely flat surrounding without any obstacles. Amazing !!!

Well, then you need a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro. But be aware that obstacle avoidance is not a 100% assurance against your drone will not hit a branch or a cable and fall down with great repair costs if you are not insured against such accidents.

It can certainly not be more simple. ;)

Regards, Leif.

Umm, how to put this simply... If you do your research you will find that obstacle avoidance slows ANY drone down to such a slow speed that it will not constantly keep up with mountain-biking or snowboarding unless you are travelling really slowly.

Obstacle avoidance on the Mavic Pro as just one example is forwards & backwards looking, it won't help you if you have the drone at your side, you're still going to smack into trees.

The Flight Plan feature is using Google maps to lock in your points for a flight plan.

Petko, this is not a forum run by Parrot, you need to voice your disappointment directly to them via their website.

I've not seen any adverts or promotions from Parrot suggesting this is a drone for the activities you are wanting a drone for. I have a feeling you are looking at a seriously more expensive drone to fulfil your requirements.

All the best with finding the right machine for your particular needs.

Reactions: FranoKaaf
Umm, how to put this simply... If you do your research you will find that obstacle avoidance slows ANY drone down to such a slow speed that it will not constantly keep up with mountain-biking or snowboarding unless you are travelling really slowly.

Obstacle avoidance on the Mavic Pro as just one example is forwards & backwards looking, it won't help you if you have the drone at your side, you're still going to smack into trees.

The Flight Plan feature is using Google maps to lock in your points for a flight plan.

Petko, this is not a forum run by Parrot, you need to voice your disappointment directly to them via their website.

I've not seen any adverts or promotions from Parrot suggesting this is a drone for the activities you are wanting a drone for. I have a feeling you are looking at a seriously more expensive drone to fulfil your requirements.

I understood and stop my comments, but I am frustrated because I saw this video with Mike Horn, also on the box of Anafi you can see the picture with mountain biking etc. It's not very convenient to buy a new drone for 700 USD... isn't it ? Maybe Anafi is only for the part with the barbecue in this advertisement... Flight plan not work, because there are no altitude. So it could be used only for monitoring of crops. however good luck.

Flight plan not work, because there are no altitude. So it could be used only for monitoring of crops. however good luck.
I'm not sure I agree there. If you look at elevation or contour maps, you can work that out for yourself & then also work out where you need to take off from. Within the flight plan feature you can program in elevations & if you take off from the lowest point you can achieve almost anything you want! That flight plan isn't smooth at the waypoints is my biggest challenge with it, but that's a whole other thread or discussion!

I understood and stop my comments, but I am frustrated because I saw this video with Mike Horn, also on the box of Anafi you can see the picture with mountain biking etc. It's not very convenient to buy a new drone for 700 USD... isn't it ? Maybe Anafi is only for the part with the barbecue in this advertisement... Flight plan not work, because there are no altitude. So it could be used only for monitoring of crops. however good luck.
I'm not sure I agree there. If you look at elevation or contour maps, you can work that out for yourself & then also work out where you need to take off from. Within the flight plan feature you can program in elevations & if you take off from the lowest point you can achieve almost anything you want! That flight plan isn't smooth at the waypoints is my biggest challenge with it, but that's a whole other thread or discussion!
Yes it could be one possibility to calculate the distance in height of each point which I want according to take off position in Google earth. Unfortunately if take off position is in summit, this "altitudes" will have minus values. If take off is from the bottom, the altitudes will exceed 150m from the take off position. Actually the main problem as well is that the altitude is calculated from the take off position, not from the ground.

Yes it could be one possibility to calculate the distance in height of each point which I want according to take off position in Google earth. Unfortunately if take off position is in summit, this "altitudes" will have minus values. If take off is from the bottom, the altitudes will exceed 150m from the take off position. Actually the main problem as well is that the altitude is calculated from the take off position, not from the ground.
I had exactly this annoyance with a Mavic Pro last October that I had borrowed for a month. The mapped out route was based on the altitude of its position at take-off & because it was circling around a rather large building as the POI the obstacle avoidance was useless as it crashed into a pine tree about 20 metres up, which took some ingenuity to recover it from & cost me $200 for replacing the gimbal ribbon.

There is no such thing as the perfect drone on a shoe-string budget.

I had exactly this annoyance with a Mavic Pro last October that I had borrowed for a month. The mapped out route was based on the altitude of its position at take-off & because it was circling around a rather large building as the POI the obstacle avoidance was useless as it crashed into a pine tree about 20 metres up, which took some ingenuity to recover it from & cost me $200 for replacing the gimbal ribbon.

There is no such thing as the perfect drone on a shoe-string budget.
My hope is that, to fix the drone somewhere along the slope before my descent and to be able to take a video at least at most interesting point. However, I hope to be able to take my drone at the bottom, because as I mentioned, the height between me and the drone will be higher than 150m, although the overall distance will be okay. I am waiting for response from Parrot. Otherwise,in each 30-40 meters I have to stop and manually control the drone. What riding will be this? Moreover it will be dangerous for my life to stop every 40 meters on potentially avalanche dangerous slope.

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
My hope is that, to fix the drone somewhere along the slope before my descent and to be able to take a video at least at most interesting point. However, I hope to be able to take my drone at the bottom, because as I mentioned, the height between me and the drone will be higher than 150m, although the overall distance will be okay. I am waiting for response from Parrot. Otherwise,in each 30-40 meters I have to stop and manually control the drone. What riding will be this? Moreover it will be dangerous for my life to stop every 40 meters on potentially avalanche dangerous slope.
p.s. Google earth flight planing is really nice option in high mountain, because there are no trees and the flight is free from obstacles. The only thing is to planing the flight around some summit at safety altitude. I am afraid,if not possible to have control on the drone from bottom around the summit, I will not be able even to filming my friends. Which makes the drone really useless in the mountains. Yes, I know that Xavier De Le Rue recommend go pro drones because of their follow me function, but my question is about the autonomous flights and distance control (altitude), which could be used instead follow me

This guy managed to do it okay, but quite slowly & in very open conditions...

I just found this, is it what set off your quest here?

These guys managed to get the Anafi to follow them while skiing through trees. I guess if you get altitude clear of all the trees on the way down it should theoretically work...

This guy managed to do it okay, but quite slowly & in very open conditions...

I just found this, is it what set off your quest here?

These guys managed to get the Anafi to follow them while skiing through trees. I guess if you get altitude clear of all the trees on the way down it should theoretically work...
Yes, I agree for freestyle in the park is really nice, but not for backcountry in the mountains. However, thank you

Yes, I agree for freestyle in the park is really nice, but not for backcountry in the mountains. However, thank you
If you are able to control the Anafi, the Cameraman mode is pretty amazing with its locking on to a target. I've tried it using one of our lads doing some parkour & it was pretty impressive from only about 5 to 10 metres away, with me controlling the yaw & altitude whilst he went hard at it trying to lose it while he was practising for some extreme chase-tag competitions he had coming up.

If you are able to control the Anafi, the Cameraman mode is pretty amazing with its locking on to a target. I've tried it using one of our lads doing some parkour & it was pretty impressive from only about 5 to 10 metres away, with me controlling the yaw & altitude whilst he went hard at it trying to lose it while he was practising for some extreme chase-tag competitions he had coming up.
Thank you, it's nice option when control your drone. Concerning of follow me function, I really did a research and it not work at steep slopes and a bit more speed. So the only way is to position the drone somewhere and filming just from one point of view. Of course, after you have to take the drone, not from the top of the summit :). I was really impressed from flight manager, but unfortunate you can't use it for flight planing. It will be just amazing,if you can record some flight with real coordinates and to be able to import the same coordinates and repeat the light. This will be the ultimate way to filming in the mountains

• Love
Up to 28 mph Anafi is about the best follow drone in the mountains. It's important to understand how Anafi works.

Nothing DJI can put in the air can come close to Anafi for mountain follow of a vechile. Anafi uses both optical and GPS for follow as well as a device barometer for dynamic altitude.

During follow I have not been limited to 150m.

Use an iPad for follow I find Android has poor performance.

Obstacle avoidance limits follow performance and is sketchy at best so I disable it on my DJI drones.

Learn your equipment and you will find Anafi one of the smallest but most powerful follow drones in the mountains.

You may also want to check out the Skydio R1, expensive but good. Value for $ it's hard to beat Anafi.

Thank you, it's nice option when control your drone. Concerning of follow me function, I really did a research and it not work at steep slopes and a bit more speed. So the only way is to position the drone somewhere and filming just from one point of view. Of course, after you have to take the drone, not from the top of the summit :). I was really impressed from flight manager, but unfortunate you can't use it for flight planing. It will be just amazing,if you can record some flight with real coordinates and to be able to import the same coordinates and repeat the light. This will be the ultimate way to filming in the mountains
I haven't tried out anything in regards to changes of altitude at speed yet, but will share what I find when I do.

I would love that ability too! The accuracy of positioning could be incredible if that were possible. Maybe one day there will be a Litchi or Mavic FPV app alternative for the Anafi that allows more control & flight planning options? Fingers crossed...

Up to 28 mph Anafi is about the best follow drone in the mountains. It's important to understand how Anafi works.

Nothing DJI can put in the air can come close to Anafi for mountain follow of a vechile. Anafi uses both optical and GPS for follow as well as a device barometer for dynamic altitude.

Obstacle avoidance limits follow performance and is sketchy at best so I disable it on my DJI drones.

Learn your equipment and you will find Anafi one of the smallest but most powerful follow drones in the mountains.

You may also want to check out the Skydio R1, expensive but good. Value for $ it's hard to beat Anafi.
Many thanks,so I am planning the end of march really exciting expedition in Japanese Alps and target is really steep summit. You are right, this weekend I will go to the closest mountain and check follow me under steep condition, just running on a steep slope. Then I will see... thank you for the software,if it's good, maybe it will be better to invest more money. Again, I really think, that if you're able to use the reports from some flight to plan another one will be great. Because you will exactly know everything based on your flight and afterwards you can filming the action during the second one.

Aaahhh it's drone, the best one is gopro hexo - 1500 USD.

Okay, just received the answer fry parrot. Of course your drone should not exceed 150m above you. So you can't even filming your friends during backcountry. Someone talked about follow me ???? crazy gay hahaha. So if you want to filming in the mountains, just not buy parrot. It's wasted money.

I wanted to film Ice climbers,but not able to because of the height.
Our best bet was software from someone like Auriga(Bebop software)
which would allow override of height limitations.I mean really,following an Ice climber poses a threat to what.Planes trains,automobiles ?
I asked Auriga a number of months ago if they would develop software for the Anafi,much like the Bebop.They replied they were waiting for the SDK files from Parrot to allow them to continue.They are still waiting.Not surprised.Dont see much hope now.

Reactions: AnafiPilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame