Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flying in Fog

seawolf9844

Reaction score
Regarding the Anafi's ability to know where it is so it can come home, how does flying in fog impact its navigational abilities?

Well in my country the law states this and most countries have pretty much the same laws so no I have no idea how it reacts in the fog.

Minimum Weather Conditions
No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system unless the weather conditions at the time of flight permit

• (a) the operation to be conducted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions; and
  • (b) the pilot of the system and any visual observer to conduct the entire flight within visual line-of-sight.
I don't think flying in the fog would qualify as visual line of site.

Reactions: seawolf9844
Page 24 of the Anafi User Guide v2.6.2 states that the Anafi should not be flown in fog. I would think that this is due to fog being water vapour which may enter the Anafi and affect the sensitive electronics e.g. block the barometer vent hole or short out the electronics.

I think he asking if fog rolls out of the blue if he pushes the rth button will it bring it back sadely or make things worse.

It uses GPS and Glonass, which work in the fog - if unexpected fog rolls in and you lose sight of the drone, it’ll return to home just fine.

Obviously a bad idea attempt to fly in/through fog, as you lose sight of the drone and pictures from the camera too. Sometimes weather rolls in out of nowhere though.

I've heard of cases where a drone has flown above fog and was unable to descend due to the drone thinking the fog was the ground!

I've heard of cases where a drone has flown above fog and was unable to descend due to the drone thinking the fog was the ground!

That is true of many drones with a Vertical Positioning System. The Ultrasound sometimes confuses fog/mist as a solid object. On the flip side many Spark owners lost their drone in water as standing water does not reflect Infrared, and the Spark does not have ultrasound.
Regards
Nidge.

I've not experienced any problems flying in the fog, other than dreary looking video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schaefer73