Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Follow me mode with Smartphone

rookie99

Reaction score
When I tested the follow me mode with the controller, everything works fine.

If I only take the smartphone, I cannot select the function. Is that wanted or is there a trick?

Using the controller is not the answer, it's not practical some times.

I've used my smartphone before to do it, haven't tried for a while or at least since the last update. But it definitely works.
Sometimes it won't give you the option if your phone hasn't got GPS lock.
Use aeroplane mode, but then make sure GPS is turned on.

Using the controller is not the answer, it's not practical some times.

I've used my smartphone before to do it, haven't tried for a while or at least since the last update. But it definitely works.
Sometimes it won't give you the option if your phone hasn't got GPS lock.
Use aeroplane mode, but then make sure GPS is turned on.
You need to use a controller because the phone's wifi performance is insufficient.

Worked well enough for me.
Using only Smartphone:
According to the original problem and question, she doesn't have a phone. I think it's phone dependent. It doesn't work for him.
Telephone connection is limited, so follow me is much more stable when using it with a remote control.
Your video often loses focus ...

According to the original problem and question, she doesn't have a phone. I think it's phone dependent. It doesn't work for him.
Telephone connection is limited, so follow me is much more stable when using it with a remote control.
Your video often loses focus ...
I think you might have miss-understood the original question, or perhaps we both have. But either way, you don't seem to be offering any helpful advice to the OP.
As for video losing focus, that has nothing to do with wi-fi issues or the fact a mobile phone is used instead of the controller and mobile phone.

I think you might have miss-understood the original question, or perhaps we both have. But either way, you don't seem to be offering any helpful advice to the OP.
As for video losing focus, that has nothing to do with wi-fi issues or the fact a mobile phone is used instead of the controller and mobile phone.
Yes, it has to do with the phone. The phone runs a program that analyzes the live image frame by frame to see where the object to be moved has moved and sends the movement command to the drone accordingly.
If the software loses its target easily due to poor video transmission.
Therefore, it cannot be activated without the "follow me" remote control ...

Yes, it has to do with the phone. The phone runs a program that analyzes the live image frame by frame ...

Are you sure about that?
I think, it is the "Thanks to patented visual recognition technology paired with the position of your smartphone, your drone can film you without you having to touch the controls. " (Follow Me) , that is doing it!
The ff6 is checking both GPS positions, but the drone also is "looking" for the person it has to follow.

Aside the GPS, I assume it is about the same kind of tracking, like it is in the DJI's: Visual, the drone itselfs "recognize" (or not) the target.
And looking at the above video, white snow and dark people is nice in contrast. Just: There are more as one and also trees.
I'd say, a Spark/Mavic w/could have switched persons totally, there.

Reactions: Joela85
Are you sure about that?
I think, it is the "Thanks to patented visual recognition technology paired with the position of your smartphone, your drone can film you without you having to touch the controls. " (Follow Me) , that is doing it!
The ff6 is checking both GPS positions, but the drone also is "looking" for the person it has to follow.

Aside the GPS, I assume it is about the same kind of tracking, like it is in the DJI's: Visual, the drone itselfs "recognize" (or not) the target.
And looking at the above video, white snow and dark people is nice in contrast. Just: There are more as one and also trees.
I'd say, a Spark/Mavic w/could have switched persons totally, there.
You didn't understand what I wrote.
The visual system can only work if there is video live and it is consistently high quality (as it analyzes). If you only use a mobile phone instead of a remote control (person asking the question), you may lose your target due to a weak wifi signal. Isn't it logical?

You overestimate the FF6, i guess
And assume a different setup for tracking, as I do!
I am sure, the visual is calculated in the bird, not in the phone.
As said, I think it is the same kind of visual tracking, like in the DJI's:
You mark something, the bird is checking for the "polygon" (it is not tracking cars or persons, it is tracking differences to background that look like in the green square) and background, that is why it works better with, p.ex. red cloth before green trees.
Plus the Anafi is getting the GPS position of the phone, to add that into its calculation.

Or another example, Skydio:
There it is obvious, EVERYTHING is calculated in the bird.
B/C you don't need the phone/app, just the beacon, right?

We just need the app to start the "follow me" mode and to transfer the phones GPS position to the bird!

But I may be wrong.
Just this
"Thanks to patented visual recognition technology paired with the position of your smartphone, your drone can film you without you having to touch the controls "
is a quote from the website.

It you are right, this technology would change with every phone in use.
I think, that that would not be the best argument, for letting "follow me" be a legal automatic flight mode

You overestimate the FF6, i guess
And assume a different setup for tracking, as I do!
I am sure, the visual is calculated in the bird, not in the phone.
As said, I think it is the same kind of visual tracking, like in the DJI's:
You mark something, the bird is checking for the "polygon" (it is not tracking cars or persons, it is tracking differences to background that look like in the green square) and background, that is why it works better with, p.ex. red cloth before green trees.
Plus the Anafi is getting the GPS position of the phone, to add that into its calculation.

Or another example, Skydio:
There it is obvious, EVERYTHING is calculated in the bird.
B/C you don't need the phone/app, just the beacon, right?

We just need the app to start the "follow me" mode and to transfer the phones GPS position to the bird!

But I may be wrong.
Just this
"Thanks to patented visual recognition technology paired with the position of your smartphone, your drone can film you without you having to touch the controls "
is a quote from the website.

It you are right, this technology would change with every phone in use.
I think, that that would not be the best argument, for letting "follow me" be a legal automatic flight mode
You are wrong! Visual tracking is done by software running on the phone, even at DJI. That's why if the phone's processor is slow, the drone will rotate left and right because it will receive the information late. (known issue...)
Skydio is the exception because the images from special cameras have to be processed locally and not the main camera! And these cameras are not for tracking, but for obstruction! That's a big difference.

Last edited:

If I only take the smartphone, I cannot select the function. Is that wanted or is there a trick?
Then sum up:
Follow me mode includes visual and GPS tracking.
The drone provides the phone with a live view for visual analysis, visual analysis and control. The phone's wifi is not strong enough to maintain a two-way quality connection.
I guess Parrot won't let you start the Follow Me mode on your phone. This requires a strong transceiver on the remote control.
However, if it is started without a remote control and misses one or two frames, it will lose its focus due to the weakness of the reception (telephone - drone).

I have used my android phone and or tablet many times for follow me with out the RC connected. It has worked perfectly every time until the last two updates. Never had a problem with it holding me or my truck in the the drawn box until the last two updates.
I have no data to prove this other then my own experience telling you how my Anafi has reacted to the follow me mode in the last few months. It never lost me in any situation until Parrot updated firmware using just my android phone.
I believe this problem is from one of their many updates that Parrot has forced on us so we can be Beta testers for their firmware.

Reactions: edwardfcy1970
I have used my android phone and or tablet many times for follow me with out the RC connected. It has worked perfectly every time until the last two updates. Never had a problem with it holding me or my truck in the the drawn box until the last two updates.
I have no data to prove this other then my own experience telling you how my Anafi has reacted to the follow me mode in the last few months. It never lost me in any situation until Parrot updated firmware using just my android phone.
I believe this problem is from one of their many updates that Parrot has forced on us so we can be Beta testers for their firmware.
You're right! I found this on Parrot's page:
Follow me.jpg

I hear you, mate.
Just think on this:
The DRONES combine visual PLUS the phones GPS
Not the Phone combines!

It is just needing less (drone) cpu power, to use the already created 720p stream for keeping focused.

Other question:
Do you think that the app is doing the calculating, how far the drone is away from HP/controller/phone?
The app is a "medium" , to show all the data, the drone gives us. To give US the feedback we need, about what the drone is doing with our input at the controlls in it.
And mainly it is the converter for the videostream, to show that to us, in more or less realtime, back on our screen.

The tech is in the bird, and I am pretty sure about it.
But then, that is just me.

Are you sure your mobile's GPS icon display in green exactly? (not red or orange!!!)
And the satellite caught the numbers over 14 or more??
1582249397172.png

Last edited:
I hear you, mate.
Just think on this:
The DRONES combine visual PLUS the phones GPS
Not the Phone combines!

It is just needing less (drone) cpu power, to use the already created 720p stream for keeping focused.

Other question:
Do you think that the app is doing the calculating, how far the drone is away from HP/controller/phone?
The app is a "medium" , to show all the data, the drone gives us. To give US the feedback we need, about what the drone is doing with our input at the controlls in it.
And mainly it is the converter for the videostream, to show that to us, in more or less realtime, back on our screen.

The tech is in the bird, and I am pretty sure about it.
But then, that is just me.
Last to say: The drone 720p broadcasts live video to the software running on the phone, this software performs visual analysis and tracking with the phone's 4-8 core processor. When the target moves, it sends a signal to the drone to move. The live image analyzes the result of the shift. That's why there is a list of compatible phones. The drone (ambarella) processor produces the video signal, compresses, stabilizes, zooms in, and filters out noise. Smart functions are also controlled by the application of the phone. Because of this, it is possible that DJI machines can be used with the Litchi program, and so many other features are available that the drone couldn't before ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut