Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Frewell Filters orientation

Lestat

Reaction score
am thinking of picking up Freewell All Day-Camera Lens Filters Kit 8Pack ND4, ND8, ND16, CPL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL
i have seen on you tube videos that the filters my not be correctly marked up for there orientation when using a polarising filter

my question is i don`t mind finding the correct orientation and putting a mark on the filter but am not sure of the best way to find that correct position
any suggestions would be appreciated
Easiest way is to just look through the filter at a monitor and turn it until you see the "shaded" part and mark the filter with a sharpie, etc to identify that area so you can orient it
There are quite a few YouTube videos that show that procedure very well.

Reactions: Lestat
thank you hope to have them by the weekend will give it a try then

The Freewell polarizing filter has a mark on it, but that is only useful after you have figured out what rotation to use visually. Then I look at the mark and place the filter on the drone at the same o'clock, i.e. 3, 10, etc.

Bear in mind that as soon as you change the bearing of the drone from that which you looked through the filter the effect will change. I have found the polarizer only works in situations where the drone stays pretty much on the same bearing as you looked to set the filter, roughly 90 degrees to the angle of the sun. I don't use the polarizer much for video for that reason. Since I don't generally bring a monitor along to my launch site I just turn around while looking through the filter and rotating it to see if it will have the desired effect. ;)

Be aware that the whole purpose of the ND filters on video is to slow the shutter speed so objects in motion look more natural, with a little bit of blur. They have no effect at all on still shots or video of still objects because you cannot prevent the sensor from compensating:
ND Filters Post #3

Freewell must have changed their product as none of my NDPL filters from them have any such mark. Not a big deal as any sharpee pen will leave a mark where you need it.

The new Freewell filters have a notch in their mounting to allow a normal gimbal initialization.
So independantly from the filter polarization these filters must be fixed with that notch downward.

That kind of makes the polarizing filter useless in all but one orientation, doesn't it? That makes no sense to me.

i have just got my filters wont get chance to try them until tomorrow

they are what i think are the new type with a notch out of the bottom they also have a line on the front i take it the line is to be in level with the top of the camera
one thing i have noticed if i take the nd8 and hold it up to the monitor with white background if i put the line to the top of the lens it dose darken but if i keep moving it around it will keep getting darker until its nearly black
at its full darkness its about the same as the nd64

so getting down to my question at last

will all the filters be fitted with the same filter / glass and just the orientation of the line give the desired nd level

ND filters, by definition, have no orientation. ND+CPL filters do. I believe the line is there on CPL filters to maintain the same orientation as you decided upon while looking through it at your subject when you put it on the camera as I said above. That has nothing to do with the line being level with the top of the camera.....every sun angle relative to your subject will have the line in a different position to get the polarizing effect. (which, BTW, may not be achievable at all in certain conditions, as straight up sun and straight down sun.) Just take the filters out by themselves and play around with them to see the varying effects.

I have yet to use any of the ND filters because I have only taken two videos with moving subjects so far, and those seemed to look just fine. Perhaps that was because I was moving quite slowly on the motorcycle.

thanks hoping to have a play around with them tomorrow if what i am thinking is right if my shutter speed is 1000 and i put on a nd2 filter correctly that should come down to around 500 and a nd4 filter would come down to 250
and if i am looking to get a cinematic shot at 24 fps i would want the shutter speed to come down to around 50

thanks hoping to have a play around with them tomorrow if what i am thinking is right if my shutter speed is 1000 and i put on a nd2 filter correctly that should come down to around 500 and a nd4 filter would come down to 250
and if i am looking to get a cinematic shot at 24 fps i would want the shutter speed to come down to around 50

That is correct. Another way to see it is that dividing your shutter speed by the target frame rate (50 in your example) will give you the ideal ND filter grade to achieve that.
So, for instance a shutter speeed of 1600/s divided by 50 will give you 32, so spot on.

An exposure time of 1000/s divided by your target frame rate will give you 20.
Therefore you will have a choice between using a 16 grade filter and a 32,, given that is all you have.
With the 16 filter on, setting the exposure time to 50/s will give you a brighter image that 1000/s with no filter.
So you would want to look at your histogram and see if that causes any highlights clipping to an extent which bothers you. If it does, you can either try to film your scene keeping particularly objectionable highlights (for instance very bright portions of the sky) out of the frame, do so in post processing by cropping highlights out and consider a compromise by setting 60/s as shutter speed which will reduce the effect you seek but also cut brightness down a bit.
Ideally, you would want to film in pLog, which should give you more ability in postprocessing to bring down the scene to whatever luminosity you were looking for and recovering highlights details to an extent.

Using a 32 instead would work just the other way around, by producing a darker exposure than 1000/s. You would need to watch out for clipping in shadows and brightening up the scene in post processing would cause noise to show up. Given our ideal ND filter is 20 in this case, 16 would be a closer, easier choice.

The final effect is to blur details in every single frame of the clip. The remark that this will only affect moving objects in the scene is only correct if you are keeping the drone still while filming. If you are moving the drone about, blur will be visible on the whole scene because the whole scene is moving. The faster you move or rotate, the more blur you will see.
However, if you are reviewing your 4k footage on a lower resolution screen, this will be less evident to your eyes, because resizing causes sharpening. In any case, it is supposed to be a subtle effect which mimic the way we naturally see movement. If you set your shutter speed to 25/s, instead of 50/s, you will see an overdone version of it.

To be clear, the reliable way to do this is to set your drone to manual exposure, locking ISO to the minimum number (the Anafi sensor is quite noisy) and setting exposure so to expose your scene like you want. If the result is for example 800, divide by 50 and you will get 16. Put you 16 on and manually set exposure to 50.

Now, at midday in an open field, or from a certain height, your exposure result will be the same wherever your camera is pointing. In other times of the day and if large features are about, you might find out that your 50/s with a certain filter will produce nice results only pointing in certain directions. Your evening beach scene might look just fine, but the mainland might be reduced to shadows against the backdrop of the sky. It is up to you whether this is a problem. You might film short sections with different exposures and/or filters. You might use HDR, but I think that doing so will force you out of manual exposure.

Do ND filters (e.g. setting your shutter speed to 50/s) influence still images?

Most definitely yes!
The reason why the Anafi sensor needs to be 21 megapixels, which is way larger than 4K (12mp), is that there is no mechanical stabilization for the vertical axis. When filming the sensor stabilizes the image digitally, by relying on a much larger frame.
When you take photos, you are using the full sensor resolutions, so there is no stabilization of the vertical axis.
If you use a shutter speed of 50/s with no digital stabilization from a flying drone, you most likely will see some details blurring in your still images. How much will depend on air conditions.

So, the cinematic effect is cool but it does require some work and thinking and it has some drawbacks:
- hard to get decent results in scenes with changing luminosity (morning and evenings, fast moving clouds etc..)
- still images and frame captures will show blur
- if planning to slow down your footage with Premiere (which interpolates frames to make new frames in between, turning a 24fps to 48fps, for instance) you should refrain from slow shutter speed, because the software needs sharp details to do that.

However, having a filter on will protect your lense. When flying on the coast with lots of salty and sandy wind, I would keep at least a clear polarizer on most of the time.

Polarizers cut on scattered light.
This only works at certain reflection angles.
Make an imaginary gun with your hand, like children do, by extending your index finger and pointing your thumb up, froming a 90 degree angle with your index finger.
Keep pointing your gun at the sun (or any light source). Your thumb will be pointing in a direction where the polariing effect is maximised. if you rotate your hand left or right, every direction the thumb is pointing at is one filming angle for which polarizing will work very well.
For instane, if you are facing the sun, which is 45 degree up in the sky, the polarizing effect will be very strong with your camera:
pointing in the direction of the sun but 45 degrees down,
pointing to the right or the left and levelled to the horizon
pointing opposite to the direction of the sun, but 45 degrees up

And anything in between.
You can use that to choose filming angles which will work..
For instance, imagine that your girlfriend is floating with her inflatable on very clear water, and you want to do a reveal shot pointing down at the water. The "pistol trick" will tell you what angle your camera should be pointing at to keep the water as transparent as possible when coming from certain directions (and with your circular polarizer rotated so to maximise the effect).
Incidentally, by exclusion, it will also tell you which directions will increase reflections.. If you want to film clouds reflecting mirror-like on water or glass.

However, reflections and specular highlights can be good.
When showing to my mum some footage of her favourite beach, her first comment was "how beautiful, that sprinkles of light in the water". And it's true, the moving speckles of light made for a very peaceful view, there are plenty of times when reflections will work just fine. People like wonderful expanses of unbelievably transparent water because they are such a rare sight. But plenty of views benefit from highlights in the right places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lestat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood