Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GPS Cable Connector broken on the motherboard.

kminnich

Reaction score
I hope that someone might be able to help me with this problem. I had a crash where the drone fell about 15 feet onto a hard surface. There was no external damage but when I went to fly it again I got the infamous "Vertical camera failure" and, of course the drone was grounded. I tried factory reset a few times to no avail so I dismantle the drone to expose the motherboard and the vertical camera. I could see that the camera's connection to the motherboard was badly connected and I could not access it while the motherboard was mounted in the drone so I removed the motherboard and fixed the connection. While reassembling the drone I noticed that the GPS connector on the motherboard had broken off also (see image). This seems like an impossible repair but I will ask the questions anyway: Does anyone know if the two solder pads on the mother board are the actual contact points for the GPS coax cable? If so, I may be able to rig another type of connector to the board. Has anyone seen these type of connectors that I might be able to purchase? The best price I have found on the net for a replacement board is $200.00 (eBay) are there any other options I might look at? $200.00 seems like a high price to pay for a broken connector.

As a side note: I am really fed up with this drone. Although I like its ease of use, its agility, its camera capabilities, and the piloting software, this drone has been a pure headache. Shortly after the warranty expired the drone fell from the sky for no apparent reason, over 50% battery, within clear view, about 50 feet altitude, and 100 feet away, I heard the engines shut down and watched the drone simply fall. I do construction videography and was on a construction site when it happened. The drone barley missed hitting a worker and hit the ground hard breaking two arms. Parrot refused to address the issue because the drone was out of warranty. They don't even have a service center in the US and parts are virtually impossible to get. So here I sit with an $800.00 drone paperweight. Drone Nerds finally was able to supply me with a full body repair kit($100.00) but my drone was grounded for about three months (my guess is they had to get the parts from France). Now I have another (minor) crash and internal connectors disconnect, and a GPS connector break off! Using a magnifying glass, I looked at the broken joints--they appear to be cold joints. I am also amazed at the how weakly connected many of the harnesses are connected on this drone. It just seems to me that a company that sells an expensive product, such as this, has an obligation to support the product via technical assistance and part replacement. So disappointing! Well, I have $900.00 invested in this drone and am very hesitant to add more to that tally. I guess if I can't repair this reasonably. It will be sold for parts and I will move on to a drone that is supported in the USA. Sorry--enough said

Attachments

• IMG_1435[1].JPG
    IMG_1435[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
I have had this company do micro soldering for me in the past. A tad expensive but they do a really good job. I had a connector break off a drone camera that ripped part of the trace wire out with it. They repaired everything and it still works to this day. Might be a option if you cannot fix it yourself.

I have had this company do micro soldering for me in the past. A tad expensive but they do a really good job. I had a connector break off a drone camera that ripped part of the trace wire out with it. They repaired everything and it still works to this day. Might be a option if you cannot fix it yourself.

But I afraid that this socket cannot be re-soldering on mainboard again. Because the centre of copper pad for socket soldering was detached from the PCB and missing already. This impossible for fixing now!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1435[1].JPG
    IMG_1435[1].JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Yes it can - any repair tech should be able to fix it for you.

The track is visible where it runs in to the shielding can - just needs to be scrapped and soldered across to new connector. Not forgetting to put a small blob of epoxy of the repair.

Again some with experience will know exactly what to do!

Thanks for the replies. That is exactly why I was asking if the two visible solder pads were the connection points for the GPS coax cable or simply mounting pads for the connector. Well, the first problem is trying to find a new/used connector; secondly finding someone with the skill to repair such damage, and lastly the cost of the repair. Seems like most agree that the pad was torn from the board as indicated by edwardfcy1970. I reviewed the site provided by Agustine and based on the listed prices, it seems as if the repair will cost about the same as a replacement motherboard. It is looking like I now have a $900.00 drone paperweight. Yes it would be cheaper to replace the motherboard as compared to purchasing another drone. That would put this drone at $1100.00 and the fear of what's next? When do you stop putting money into something as fragile as this drone. Thanks again.

The two soldering pads are the grounding pads, the missing pad is the signal wire to the centre pin.

If I remember correctly the connector is an MCX female socket made by either Hirose or Molex. Any electronic component seller will have them - like Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, and RS Components, etc.

Should not cost more than US$ 0.50 each.

Find someone who does mobile phone repairs, and just supply them the motherboard and connector - should take them less than 10 minutes to do, so they should charge accordingly.

The two soldering pads are the grounding pads, the missing pad is the signal wire to the centre pin.

If I remember correctly the connector is an MCX female socket made by either Hirose or Molex. Any electronic component seller will have them - like Digikey, Mouser, Farnell, and RS Components, etc.

Should not cost more than US$ 0.50 each.

Find someone who does mobile phone repairs, and just supply them the motherboard and connector - should take them less than 10 minutes to do, so they should charge accordingly.
Thanks for the information AnafiPilot1. I ended up buying an Anafi for parts and plan to replace my motherboard with the "parts" drone. I will attempt to repair my motherboard given the information you provided.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critinator