Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Help - 2 Anafis Trashed UK repair shop needed etc

Gareth Lyons

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I managed to auto land my Parrot Anafi into a stream and broke the drone. It is totally my fault and I accept this. I contacted Parrot and asked if they could recommend to me a UK repair shop. Their response was to tell me basically to search on Google as it wasn't a warranty issue (this annoyed be somewhat as I told them in my email that fault on the drone was my fault and not a warranty issue). I was given similar advice given from the retailer I had bought the drone from.

1) Can anyone suggest a UK repair shop - I have looked online and see plenty of DJI repair shops, which seem to charge more than the drones worth.
2) In terms of fixing the drone myself - can anyone suggest how I can fault find. The drone landed next to water and fell into a stream and the back was half submerged for 10 to 20 seconds. The battery still worked the fan and the navigation light. After trying to dry the drone the navigation light stopped working but the fan still works. I am not sure if buying a new mother board will fix the problem as I assume that controls the motors and everything else.

You may be wondering how I managed to be such an arse and land end up with the drone in water. To cut a long story short, whilst on holiday I was showing my dad the drone whilst filming a waterfall. I was showing him how the auto return worked and forgot that I hand launched the drone due to uneven ground, from next to a stream (yes I'm an idiot) and then I moved from and forgot where I took off from to get a better view of the flight.

As I was on holiday I rushed out and bought a replacement Parrot Anafi. Only for this on its second flight over Exmoor (despite being fully connected to the remote etc) to decide to fly away in such an erratic manner it looked as if it was a plane having been shot down. The flight ended with the drone climbing to around 30 metres and then diving, like a kamikaze (no exaggeration), in to the ground breaking the camera gimbal and other parts – surprisingly the footage from this final flight did not save properly and I was unable to convert the temporary file into a useable file. Fortunately I was able to get my money back from the retailer.
I am to be honest very apprehensive about the Anafi in general and actually bought the drone due to it some reviews (Tony Northrope) saying it was more reliable than DJIs.

Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Gareth L

Welcome to the forum Garath. Unfortunately others have reported that Parrot appear to have shut down their repair facilities recently much to the disgust of Anafi owners. I do not know of any repairers in the UK. There are some very good videos on YouTube regarding taking the Anafi apart and I would start by doing that and making sure that there is no corosion on the boards and that all of the ribbon cables are securly and correctly located. Do you think that you have water damage in the camera? If so then it would be a much more involved job as, if my memory serves me correctly, the camera is paired to its control board.

Let us know how you get on and don't be afraid to post some photos of he insides of your Anafi if you want further advice.

There is a guy in Newcastle "heliguy", super helpful and they have a repair facility, BUT, mainly for DJI Drones. That said they may either be able to help or put you onto someone who might be able to help.

They are a reputable company, so not someone who is going to rip you off and make a bad job. Definite worth a phone call

Thank you for your responses Liger 1956 and d95gas.

In terms of Liger's comments, I have looked online and Parrot do have a video about taking the drone apart. I have so far took the case off and had a look, but I am a little loath to go any further as I can always take things apart but putting them bag together is the issue!. I can't see any damage from water or burning on wires (I imagine I would see from a short).

When I retrieved the drone it's back end (back 2 inches) was in water, but the front end including the camera was dry. I tend to think it may be the motherboard (which of course is the dearest part) as that was the only part of the electrics in the water. I do wonder if I frazzled something being a little to vigorous with the hair dryer trying to dry it out. But I am going to get some tweezers to take it apart properly. You are correct from what I have seen the camera and the control board need to be bought or installed as a pair.

D95gas, thank yo for the recommendation for the Heliguy I will give them a call and see how much it may be.

Thanks

As I see you needs to take fast action against water corrosive
Use Isopropyl/alcohol and or Kontakt PFR 6-60 to clean electronic circuit and all contact connection

Reactions: sibujacob
As I see you needs to take fast action against water corrosive
Use Isopropyl/alcohol and or Kontakt PFR 6-60 to clean electronic circuit and all contact connection
From his post he landed in a stream. I would think the stream is fresh water and not water from the ocean which is salt water so there is no concern of water corrosion. Only thing he needs to do is clean with Isopropyl/alcohol to clean dirt from the parts in question.

Reactions: sibujacob
Hi guys,

Yes I did "land" in fresh water. But I think it is till good advice as I did have Canon 7D Mk2 camera break to water corrosion, I was in Snowdonia as part of job trying to get some outdoor winter images, unfortuantely my "weather sealed" camera could not handle sleet, wind and rain on top of a mountain. THe insurers said the camera had corroded from the water, perhaps it was acid rain or sleet!

I did phone up Heliguys as someone suggest but they only service DJIs. I am going to have a go this weekend and take my drone fully apart. Will provide an update - cheers

I assume the white (cotton wool like) stuff is some kind of board damage?

Attachments

• parrot anafi water damage.jpg
    parrot anafi water damage.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Parrot motherboard.jpg
    Parrot motherboard.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Yup you could be right. I would try taking a old tooth brush and dip it into isopropyl rubbing alcohol to see if you can remove it. It should clean it up and hopefully it did not cause any permanent damage.

Reactions: d95gas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar