Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I Froze the Parrot ANAFI to see if it would fly

Excellent !! Really interesting and funny Flight !!

For the ‘scientific’ aspect of the ‘close’ precision landing ;o)... I’d like to add a little comment on that :

I guess the Anafi takes a ‘picture of the take-off scene’ so it can compare the take-off scene with the landing scene when it comes back, and do a sort of alignment of both to say ... ok I was here, I can land.

But what you did is the following :

- Take off with your glove in the snow ... just close to the Anafi so it is part of the ‘take-off scene’. When you Returned to home, your glove was on your hand ... so that’s change number 1.
- You walked all around the landing pad during the flight, and during the approach phase of the Return To Home, adding lots of footprints in the snow that were not there at take-off Time... change number 2
- The change number 3 is so huge, I’m surprised you did not see it during video edition : you changed your position relative to the landing pad between the take off and the landing, in a way your shadow is projected right in the landing scene.

Conclusion No1 : Miss Anafi is quite good as playing the game of the 7 errors (Sorry I don’t know if it exists in English)

Conclusion No2 : If miss Anafi hears you saying ‘that was close’ , she may kick your *** !

Conclusion No3 : Yeah...-16°C... She Must kick your *** !!! Don’t you dare ?

If i had message on my phone that says :”temp. of the phone is to low”,there wouldnt be any test done at all but hey its guys like him that help us save our drones by doing all those crazy tests

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
I flew at similar temperatures, and it happened to me that the phone gave me the message "temperature too low to charge the battery", but this was a telephone warning. clearly taking off and landing on the hand. No problem with the drone. One day I left the battery on the drone and I had the message "battery temperature too low". In that case I had to put a hotter (which I had in the jacket) otherwise it did not even start the engines. Apart from keeping the batteries warm, and then unloading them a little, winter flights can be done.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
I flew at similar temperatures, and it happened to me that the phone gave me the message "temperature too low to charge the battery", but this was a telephone warning. clearly taking off and landing on the hand. No problem with the drone. One day I left the battery on the drone and I had the message "battery temperature too low". In that case I had to put a hotter (which I had in the jacket) otherwise it did not even start the engines. Apart from keeping the batteries warm, and then unloading them a little, winter flights can be done.
I hope, that our smart Anafi battery NEVER will come to the opinion "battery temperature too low" while in mid-flight (and cut off power). ?

I think it's difficult to happen: the discharge during the flight causes heat, so unless you fly at extreme temperatures, nothing should happen

I had the battery temperature too low warning but it still let me take off. I then thought better of it and landed just in case. Does anyone know what temperature this happens at?

I had the warning of low temperature, but can fly down to -5°C
Only one time warning and it not power the engines.
If It let ti fly, just heat a little the battery hovering. When message go away, you are in safe temperature range.

Reactions: 999shorty
Well I totally want to set the record straight on this because I live in Alaska and have crashed my ANAFI at cold temperatures. I was flying spring 2020 and the temperature was 8 degrees F (-13 C). I flew for a good 10 minutes no issues. I swapped batteries which had been outside with me for the first 10 -20 minutes and were cooling down during this time. I swapped batteries, took off, flew up to about 60 feet (18.3 m) and got the low temperature battery alarm on the controller. About 5-10 seconds later the power completely cut out as I was descending and the drone shutoff midflight and fell out of the sky. I broke one of the arms in the crash, subsequently repaired it. I flew it all summer in warmer temps no problem. Fall 2020 it happened again. I was flying at 26 F ( -3 C) so I thought it was warm enough. Same thing batteries cut out completely from about 30 feet ( 9.1 m). Drone never turned on again after that. I went out and ordered a new one, vowing to not fly below recommended temperature ranges because it WILL ABSOLUTELY CRASH. So for a long winded answer the temp at which the battery will shut off is somewhere between 32 F and 20 F... Just don't try it like I did, you will regret it. You're playing with fire (or ice in this case!) This drone is not very robust in the cold.

They have a new one out (ANAFI USA) that they claim can fly to some pretty cold temps designed for the army and such, but I would like to see some real world tests run on it in real conditions up here in Alaska. From the specs: Operating temperature: -32F (-35°C) to 110F (43°C)

Send me one and I will find some -32 temps to break it in!! No way can a drone like that really fly in -32..

• Wow
Reactions: edwardfcy1970
the drone will fly at -10 but the batteries need to be warm (20?) before you take off

I would agree with that. If you can keep the batteries warm, the drone will fly to pretty cold temps. It's still just not that reliable, cause you don't know exactly how cold the batteries are getting. There are a few folk up in Alaska who have taped handwarmers to the batteries and built custom insulating jackets etc to protect the battery temps. We do the same thing with our phones as well. As a side note, I just flew my ANAFI at 33 F and it was fine. I had the batteries inside my house, full charge, stepped outside, let the GPS initialize, and then took off. I flew up to 80 ft got an aerial picture I've been needing to take for some time and brought it down immediately. I was still nervous from the last 2 cold weather crashes...

I have flown my Anafi in -20 F weather no problem. Keep batteries warm till you need them. I live in Northern Ontario Canada and we get some pretty darn cold winters here. I have a RC glove for my remote to keep my hands warm. Trust me when I say you will give out before your drone will in the cold weather.
20181007_112335.jpg

20181007_112138.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame