Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Incorrect altitude and distance indications displayed on screen during flight

magna99

Reaction score
Maybe someone has some ideas about this....when I fly my Anafi, the altitude and distance telemetry is incorrect and unstable, even tho the drone itself seems to be stable. As soon as I launch (and get a green home point set indication), the horizontal distance indicates that the drone is over 250 feet away even tho it's directly over the launch point, and will vary as much as 100 feet either way even tho the Anafi is not moving....the altitude varies from negative to way higher than the drone is, also when the drone is hovering at a constant altitude. It seems to get worse when I fly it away from the home point and cruise around. Seems to fly OK and is stable, but in my area there are a lot of tall trees and I need to know fairly accurately how high and far away the Anafi is.

Has anyone seen this behavior, and have a cure for it?

I'm running all the latest updates, and everything else seems to be working correctly.

Thanks!

The air pressure is how the height is calculated; I understand it is not always very accurate. as for the distance, maybe the tablet or phone you are using does not have a good gps fix? If you open a maps application, does it show the correct coordinates?

Reactions: BRC
Maybe someone has some ideas about this....when I fly my Anafi, the altitude and distance telemetry is incorrect and unstable, even tho the drone itself seems to be stable. As soon as I launch (and get a green home point set indication), the horizontal distance indicates that the drone is over 250 feet away even tho it's directly over the launch point, and will vary as much as 100 feet either way even tho the Anafi is not moving....the altitude varies from negative to way higher than the drone is, also when the drone is hovering at a constant altitude. It seems to get worse when I fly it away from the home point and cruise around. Seems to fly OK and is stable, but in my area there are a lot of tall trees and I need to know fairly accurately how high and far away the Anafi is.

Has anyone seen this behavior, and have a cure for it?

I'm running all the latest updates, and everything else seems to be working correctly.

Thanks!
Odd. Have you tried a different phone? Seems unlikely that the Anafi would be stable and fly fine if its own lat/lon and altitude readings were varying so wildly, so presumably it must be your phone that's struggling to maintain an accurate location.

Reactions: BRC
Odd. Have you tried a different phone? Seems unlikely that the Anafi would be stable and fly fine if its own lat/lon and altitude readings were varying so wildly, so presumably it must be your phone that's struggling to maintain an accurate location.

Hmmmm....good point!

I'm flying it using my iPad Mini 5, but I don't have erroneous indications when flying my Mini 2, either of my Fimi X8 SE 2020's, or either of my Hubsan Zino 2+'s with the iPad or my phone. However, I'll try it with with my iPhone 11 Pro Max next time I get a chance. I also need to check to see if my other Anafi also gives me erroneous readings. Stay tuned....

OK, question answered....good call, speagles2! I flew the Anafi today using my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the telemetry readouts were correct and repeatable...it indicated the correct distance after takeoff and after about 10 minutes of cruising around. The altitude reading varied a few feet, but I would expect that, as I doubt the onboard barometric sensor is very precise. I don't know if it's an issue with my iPad Mini or maybe because it doesn't have doesn't have GPS or compass features, but at least I have the answer. It'll be interesting to try the same test with my other Anafi...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut