Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Indoor Use, GPS Off?

rsjb41

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the GPS for indoor flying? Need some indoor footage in a large warehouse but have had two fly aways.

Is there a way to turn off the GPS for indoor flying? Need some indoor footage in a large warehouse but have had two fly aways.

No, unfortunately, you can not turn off the GPS and fly in ATTI mode. In fact, I would advise you to fly without a solid locked GPS as I believe it may cause your Anafi to fly away if you're unlucky.

Regards Leif.

I really don't think turning off the GPS is really necessary to fly indoors with the Anafi. One of the very first videos I saw of the Anafi the person was Flying into a museum in Paris.

Do not fly the Anafi indoors, gps multi path and sparatic gps signal can cause the a/c to act erratic. The vision positioning system does not work very well and the Anafi depends mainly on its gps for positioning. In a big area a pilot would have time to correct these issues(I.e. warehouse, museum, hangar, stadium) but in a smaller areas these issues might not be able to corrected in time causing the A/C to possibly flyaway and crash.

I would advise you to fly without a solid locked GPS as I believe it may cause your Anafi to fly away if you're unlucky.

Regards Leif.

I concur also, I have flown indoors on numerous occasions with good results...

It would be outstanding if Parrot would add the ability to disable GPS in the software so that we could fly in ATTI mode. The majority of my flights will be indoors doing building inspection up near the roof of our manufacturing facilities. I'd really like to be able to remove one variable (GPS automatically locking and unlocking on it's own) from my flight equation.

Reactions: Skassa
Augustine is right. Aluminium foil is a good Way to "Switch off" gps. But i think, that impossibility of tuning gps off is a big problem. ATTI is very important at unexpectable problem with gps positioning (for example when KP index will be immediately very strong). Than in other drones operator can switch off gps and manually control his machine. But im afraid that in that case anafi will go far away and there will no be any way to stop it...

Reactions: FranoKaaf
I am a newbie and I'm afraid I'm having trouble following this... I need to fly Anafie in a warehouse too, so is using tin foil my only solution? And if so exactly what do I need to cover up...? I just plan to fly manually if that makes a difference, no follow me or other fuctions...

The GPS is covered by one top plate. Undo the 2 screws and cover the GPS with tin foil and replace the top plate. I did a test last night and flew in my livingroom for over 20 minutes. Drove the cat nuts but I had no GPS lock bothering me and it was rock steady other then a few twitches here and there to hold it in position.

Thanks, excellent advice that I will test tomorrow. I assume that I should use this method just for interiors since there is no advantage to doing so outside, or are there any exterior applications that would also benefit from it?

Thanks, excellent advice that I will test tomorrow. I assume that I should use this method just for interiors since there is no advantage to doing so outside, or are there any exterior applications that would also benefit from it?

I would say not for outside use and I will say use caution with indoor use. Not something I suggest for the inexperienced pilot :)

Yes thanks for the warning... Got prop guards, 2 year crash warranty from Best Buy and will take it slow... In some cases even stationary at first. Thanks for the help.

So am I to understand that all of the excellent video I've seen from members flying indoors was done after blocking the GPS signal?

Here are some good suggestions for flying indoors for those who might be thinking about doing so.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut